cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipv4 not working

Deej10
I plan to stick around

Hey guys sat night I was playing on my ps4 and my internet cut out. so I went and restarted the modem and still no Internet. I then turned on my pc which is on windows 10 and checked my internet and it says ipv4 not working but ipv6 is I called rogers and no help. They said they would get a technistion to come out and it's going to take longer then I would like because I work from home. my youtube and Google works but that's it, on my cell phone and my home pc that's pluged in direct from modem to pc.. I looked on YouTube at some videos looking for a fix but nothing works... any help would be awesome thank you guys

*Edited Labels*

53 REPLIES 53

Re: Ipv4 not working

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you:

1.  Look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker and let us know what modem model you have.  It should be one of CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACSMR or maybe a CGNM-3552.

2.  Log into the modem and check the Software Version (Firmware) that is shown on the STATUS page.  That page is displayed automatically when you log into the modem.  

3.  Chech the upper right hand corner data field which is the WAN IP address.  Does it show both IPs, IPV4 and IPV6?

Please post those results.  There is always the final step of running a factory reset.  Only bad part about that is resetting the modem parameters.  If, when the modem is running properly, you can always create a backup file using the ADMIN ....BACKUP .... Backup function.  Then, after a modem factory reset, Restore that file using the Restore function that is located on the same page.  With that you can be back up and running within 5 min.  At the current time, with IPV4 not functioning, I wonder if there is some file corruption afoot,so, I wouldn't run the  Backup function at this time.  I'd simply run the factory reset and then reset the parameters from scratch.  

Deej10
I plan to stick around
CGN3ACSMR
Software version - 4.5.8.22
WAN IP address . I see what looks like a normal ip then a , then both numbers and letters with : between them would you like me to post the WAN IP address as I see it?

Please don't post the WAN IP addresses. That is for your own online security. 

What you should see is something like:   182.168.0.1,  2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334

That would indicate that the modem has both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.  With a connected pc or laptop, if you bring up a command prompt and enter:

ipconfig/all

If the pc/laptop has IPV6 running, the top portion of the ipconfig data should include both IPV6 and IPV4 data:Windows IP Configuration  (With IPV6 running)

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:XXXX:XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2607:XXXX:XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : XXXX::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXXXX
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : IPV6 address shown
                                                       IPV4 address shown

If for some reason the IPV6 protocol has been deselected in the network adapters advanced settings, the top portion will only show the IPV4 address:

Windows IP Configuration (note IPV4 only)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Note this is for Windows 10 but I don't believe that its different from Windows 7 or 8.

Given that the modem has both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses, I would restart any device that is connected to the modem and then recheck them for both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.  If you log into the modem, and navigate to the BASIC .... LAN Setup page, you should see a list of connected computers, which I believe should show the IPV4 addresses assigned to all devices.

Deej10
I plan to stick around
I see both ipv6 and ipv4
Looks like this
Ethernet adapter ethernet :

Connection-specific DNS Suffix .....
Description. ...
Physical address...
Dhcp enabled
Autoconfiguration enabled
Ipv6 address...
Lease obtained
Lease expires
Ipv6 address.....
Ipv6 address...
Temp ipv6 address.....
Temp ipv6 address....
Link-local ipv6 address. ..
Ipv4 address. ...
Subnet mask
Lease obtained
Lease expires
Defult gateway

DHCP server
DHCPV6 iaid
Dhcpv6 client DID
DNS servers

Netbios over tcpip

When I check all connected devices under ip address they all have ipv6 address'

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I had the identical problem on the weekend - no IP4 address was assigned to the router - where the address would be it said none, followed by the assigned ipv6 address.

About 12 hours after the call to tech support, the router was back with an IP4 address.

Don't know what they did on their end, but it cleared up.

Any thoughts on what leads to this and is their a way to get around it from our side, or we can tell techs.

Next time, I will at least be able to say that there is no IP4 address - hadn't noticed that, nor does it appear did the tech.  He just lookat signals and ping tasks and packet loss.

I can't claim to know anything about IPv6 configuration or relationship to sites and relationship to Ip v4.

I too had google, wikapedia, and you tube, but absolutely nothing else would connect.

Bruce

Deej10
I plan to stick around
I wish you knew what they did on there end I'll call right away and ask them to do the same.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I honestly don't have a clue what they did - they committed to a phone call by today to advise us when fixed, never received it.

Maybe call in advise them about missing IP4 (they should be able to see that ) and that on forums similiar issue has been reported and resolved.  No changes in versions was done, still on .22  I didn't think to mention the missing ip4 allocation, didn't clue into it until later and after your report.

Bruce

Deej10
I plan to stick around
A friend from work just told me to ask them for a new satic ip is that possible ?

@Deej10, thats a good question.  Maybe for a business account.  I really don't know if that is done for a residential account.  

If you're running the modem in Gateway mode, can you log into it and have a look at the STATUS page that comes up when you log in. 

Can you:

1.  Post the Software Version (Firmware) that is currently loaded.

2.  Indicate whether or not there are two WAN IP addresses in the upper right hand corner, one IPV4 and one IPV6.  It will look something like 99.xxx.xxx.xxx, 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334

3.  Have a look at the modem model indicated on the product sticker at the back of the modem.  Please post the model, which should be one of CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACSMR, or maybe a CGNM-3552.  

If the modem shows an IPV4 address, can you run an ipconfig command at a command prompt for a connected pc or laptop.  It should show something like the following if you have IPV6 up and running which will be shown by the IPV6 address in the modem:

Windows IP Configuration  (With IPV6 running)

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:XXXX:XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2607:XXXX:XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : XXXX::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXXXX
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : IPV6 address shown
                                                       IPV4 address shown

The question is, does it show an IPV4 address and a Default Gateway IPV4 address?

If it does, can you run an IPV4 trace to google to see how it turns out. 

tracert -4 www.google.com

If you can, can you post that or send that to me.  With IPV4 addresses it will be okay post that as the modems WAN address doesn't show up in the trace like it does for an IPV6 address. 

What I'm trying to figure out here is whether or not you are actually getting an IPV4 address, and, if so, is an IPV4 trace actually completing all the way to google, or, is it timing out somewhere which would indicate a server configuration issue.  If the data in the address stops at a given hop, that woudl indicate that the last server with the IP address isn't allowing the return data from beyond that point. 

So, there are two different possibilities to look at, the CMTS which might fail to assign an IPV4 address, or, the CMTS or downstream server which isn't allowing the returning IPV4 trace data back to its original point (your pc).

So, when you have time, can you have a look and let us know what you find. 

Deej10
I plan to stick around
1- software is 4.5.8.22
2 - there is two ip addresses just like your example
3 - CGN3ACSMR

When I run ipconfig I have a ipv4 address and default gateway
How do I run an IPV4 trace to google?

Bring up a command prompt.  Navigate to START .... PROGRAMS .... WINDOWS SYSTEM .... COMMAND PROMPT

thats on Windows 10.

Type in:  tracert -4 www.google.com

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

tracert -4 www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [172.217.2.132]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1      <1 ms   <1 ms   <1 ms   10.0.0.1
2   100 ms      9 ms    13 ms   99.239.32.1
3     20 ms     10 ms   11 ms   67.231.221.73
4     18 ms     15 ms   26 ms   van58-9-231-73.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.231.73]
5     37 ms   107 ms   22 ms   van58-9-229-225.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.229.225]
6     19 ms     24 ms   19 ms   209.148.230.14
7   * * * Request timed out.
8     21 ms    22 ms    18 ms   209.85.242.13
9     36 ms    23 ms    30 ms   209.85.250.7
10   21 ms   19 ms    17 ms   yyz08s14-in-f132.1e100.net [172.217.2.132]

Trace complete.

In this case, there is one server that isn't responding, but, the trace completes all the way to google.  So, in your specific case, the question is, does the trace stop at some point and just timeout all the way to the end of 30 hops.  If so, where, as that is the last server that is returning any data, and that server most likely has a configuration issue.  That could be the CMTS itself. 

Deej10
I plan to stick around
Thanks... so this is what I got
1 10 ms <1 ms 1ms
2 request timed out.
3 request timed out.
4 request timed out.
All of them other then 1 says "request timed out." So from 2 -30

Ok, so did the first line have the modem IP address in it:  1 10 ms <1 ms 1ms (192.168.0.1 or Hitron Home Hub?)

Assuming that the modem is running in Gateway mode?  

From the looks of it, the CMTS itself is not allowing the trace data to return to the originating modem.  Thats is most likely a configuration error.  

Can you run an IPV6 trace and then pm the results to me.  @RogersDave will need that to check the CMTS configuration.  

tracert -6 ipv6.google.com

to copy the trace results, right click on the command box title bar at the top.  Select .... Edit .... Select All.  Then right click again and select Edit .... Copy.  Then click on my name to bring up my public page.  On the right hand side is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Hit that link to bring up the message composition page.  It will already be addressed to me.  Paste in the data from the command box.  Stick a title on it and send it to me.  

With the IPV6 data Dave can drill down to the CMTS in question and check the configuration.  I'll forward that to him in the morning.  

Fwiw, I've seen this same issue on the IPV6 side.  Just a matter of cleaning up the configuration.

Edit;  do you see an address resolution at the top of the trace, that equates the www.google.com with a numerical IP address?  It would look like this:

Tracing route to www.google.com [172.217.2.132]

You might have a different IP address showing as I use OpenDNS instead of the Rogers DNS.

Its important to know that as well as it indicates that the IPV4 address is being resolved, but the CMTS is being a pain, or, that the address is not being resolved, which is most likely still a CMTS issue, just a slightly different shade, so to speak. 

Deej10
I plan to stick around
Yes the 1st line did have that in It also also I'm useing a cell phone to msg you because I can't get to this page on my home pc

ok, can you take a look at my edited remarks above concerning the address resolution.

If you're doing this on a cell phone, I only need the top two lines from the trace.

Deej10
I plan to stick around
Sent u a pm

Ok, got it.   Please have a look for the response.   Just a couple of questions:

Is that copied from the pc, or is your phone running on wifi so that the trace would be the same?

At the top of the IPV4 trace, is there an address resolution, that equates www.google.com with a numerical IP address?  I'm assuming that since the trace runs, that it must have a resolved address.

@Deej10 wrote:
Sent u a pm

Deej10,

I can have a look at your modem to determine if there is a network issue. Would you be able to send me a private message with your modem MAC (printed behind the modem) so that I can investigate further?

Dave

@RogersDave and @Deej10, the top portion of an IPV6 trace has been sent to @RogersDave.  Hopefully that will be enough to have a look at the modem and CMTS. 

Deej10
I plan to stick around
I guess someone canceled there Appointment from rogers just had a teach guy show up still have asleep said he thinks it's my line running from outside to inside showed me a cable looks like some Animal was eating it if this guy can't fix it I'll msg you with the mac address
Topic Stats