Intermittent disconnects - CODA-4582U

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent disconnects - CODA-4582U

@Kryshome I can't help with the cell phone issue.  Thats something that you would have to address with the moderators.  You can send them a message at @CommunityHelps.  Follow that link and use the link on the next page to "Send this user a private message".  That will take you to the message composition page.  Fill in the details and subject or title and hit send when complete.  When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the top right hand of the page.  That avatar is also a link to your profile and message inbox/outbox.  Follow that avatar link down to the message inbox to see any response from the moderators.  

Fwiw, just a suggestion, start a notepad file and store it somewhere handy.  Whenever you log into the modem for any reason, copy the signal data from the DOCSIS WAN tab, paste that into the Notepad file and add a time and date.  Save the file as you add additional data.  With that file on hand, you can look back in time to see where those signal levels go, if and when they move.  Over time, they should be very stable and running within normal specs. 

Kryshome
I Plan to Stick Around

So today a maintenance crew got dispatched after I had the case escalated and it looks like they fixed the low signal for the neighbourhood. Unfortunately I am still getting intermittant drops hundreds of times a day and the last remaining piece of equipment that requires changing is the underground cable running to my home. My case got escalated to OOTP and there is another senior tech that will come in monday to see if they can help run a temp line. I have suggested multiple ways to run one and they agree although inconvenient it is not impossible as the previous technicians have said so they will look into that monday. The easiest way to split off my neighbours line but my neighbours line is actually split off their neighbours line and Roger's doesnt want to run 3 homes off one temp line. I'll suggest they make a second temp line leading directly to my neighbours and then hopefully I can split off that one.

It just pisses me off that the techs that came in refused to run a temp for me because its "impossible". If I had a spare roll of coax I would have run my own line directly to my home and just ask them to connect it because I . well know I would be able to do it multiple ways where it wouldn't pose a tripping hazard and would easily be high enough it wouldn't pose a risk of being ripped down.

I am also looking to improve my signal to noise ratio by eliminating any possible electrical interference but as of this moment I still get hit with drops in service and mass packet loss all while my modem remains "connected" to Rogers.

Hopefully come monday I get my problems resolved, I have personally gone through so many phone calls and have had to jump through so many hoops at this point that my the end of the day I feel like I need to drink a case of beer just to de-stress. I think the thing I hate most is when I speak to techs on the phone and I tell them to transfer me to a manager they still insist on me "restarting" my modem and doing all the basic troubleshooting steps I have done a million times over.
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Point to remember, contract techs will sometimes but not always, leave the hard to solve cases to Rogers, without stating to you that you should be able to call tech support looking for a solution to the problem.  That puts customers in a position of having to chase the company for support when a knowledgeable tech, given the impetus, can provide a temporary solution.  

When a tech rolls up to your door, he or she is usually driving a van in Rogers corporate logos and colors, when in fact the tech is a contract tech.  Customers for the most part don't know that there are contract techs and Rogers techs.  So, after no success with the contractor techs, customers are usually peeved by this point, and so, the chase begins.  Sorry that its gotten to this point, but, you're not the first and won't be the last 😞

Fwiw, to access the external enclosure, a hex wrench like these will work.  Its not an exact fit from what I've seen but it works:

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=hex+can+wrench

One thing that you can to is check the external ground cable that runs out to the electrical box clamp.  That ground cable might need cleaning if its heavily corroded.  The techs should have checked that cable both inside the enclosure and outside and cleaned it or cut the ends off to uncover clean copper cabling.  Poor cable grounds can also cause issues. 

Inside the enclosure should be the cable end from the local tap, a cable ground block and the start of the cable run which heads inside the home.  That's it, so its pretty simple.  Basically the techs should ensure that the cable ends are clean copper, that the ground block is in good condition and that the ground block grounding wire is clean at both ends.   

Hopefully the tech will run a temporary cable for you.  In your neighbourhood do you have back alleys behind the property line, or is it just back yard to back yard, with a dividing fence?  For long runs, ISPs use RG-11 cabling instead of RG-6.  

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/better-rg59-rg6-rg11-cable/

Assuming that the tech has RG-11 cabling on the van, that would probably be the better choice if you're looking at a very long run around a couple of neighbours yards. 

Kryshome
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the information. Yeah the cable box is nothing special. I was testing the shortest run possible from the box to my modem, no splitters etc and I can see most of my channels are in spec and close to 0dB on the down side but some are just -8dB and I could see other channels starting to drop too. The gap in the channels is getting bigger and although everything is technically within spec I'm sure that's why I keep dropping service. I noticed when it rains the problem gets worse so at this point I'm inclined to believe there is exposure underground shorting out and that is likely the reason my neighbours have temp lines running too. I find it odd all 3 cables fail at the same time so I'll just say I believe someone probably did some gardening and damaged a run of coax cables. Regardless they are probably 20+ years old so it wont hurt replacing.

I'll talk to my neighbours this weekend to let them know we might need access to their properties to run a temp cable, I'm sure they wont mind because I expedited the cable burial case as much as possible so when they come to bury mine I'm sure theirs will get buried as well. Otherwise they would probably be waiting months for a crew to come in and this way all the cables get cleaned up much quicker.
Kryshome
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

So today I was told there is definately nothing wrong with the line coming to my house apart from a low signal, so they will recommend to give me RG11 when they bury it to avoid any unecessary signal loss. 

Apart from this I asked him so what is causing the intermittant issues? He said everything from the tap to my home looks ok, so he is guessing something must be up at the CMTS. When it was super hot last week or whenever it rained my intermittant disconnects became really bad to the point I was averaging 80+% packet loss. There was a maintenance crew that came and checked on all the taps on my street and left, I actually have no idea where the CMTS is for my community, I see several boxes but they all seem to be too far to be the ones that are connected to my home. What do I do in this case? Do I keep bugging them to check the CMTS because as far as im concerned the tech told me he was getting alot of calls to my area meaning others must be having similar issues. I have had several techs come and tell me the line running to my home has 0 issues. 

This problem is starting to annoy me more and more. Hopefully the fact it got elevated to OOTP something gets resolved quick, because I'm seriously ripping my hair out at this point. Techs are only responsible for the connection from the tap to the home then maintenance is responsible for the rest of the infrastructure. Its like these departments have 0 communication. Its honestly killing me just thinking about calling Rogers over and over because thats the last thing I am trying to waste my time on right now. Already spent far too many hours on the phone with them.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kryshome just to lay this out:

1.  The local tap will provide service to 6 or 8 (?) homes in the immediate vicinity of the pedestal.

2.  The neighbourhood node, to which the local taps are connected, will service 500, 1000 or 1500 homes from what I understand.  I believe that the Rogers target is 500 homes, but, Rogers has been installing equipment further downstream into the neighbourhoods, so that number could be under 500 homes per neighbourhood node. 

3.  The Cable Modem Termination System will service several neighbourhood nodes.  How many?  Don't know, but it will be a fairly  big number, so each CMTS will service several thousand homes.  

The cable path will look something like:

1.  Modem to splitter:  RG-6 cable

2.  Splitter to external Rogers enclosure:  RG-6 cable

3.  Rogers enclosure to local tap:  RG-6 cable

4.  Local tap to neighbourhood node:  Hard Cable

5.  Neighbouhood node to CMTS:  Fibre Optic

Fwiw, there is always the possibility of amps and/or equilizers between the local tap and neighbourhood node.  Each cable run will be unique in its configuration, just depends on the run length and number of customers.  

Typically if there is a problem, that problem is in the external cable run from the external enclosure outside of the home to the local tap.  There is always the possibility of an issue between the local tap and the neighbourhood node.  That possibility shouldn't be overlooked.  

If there was a problem in the cable run from the neighbouhood node to the local tap there would be a great many complaints along your street.  

If there was a problem between the neighbourhood node to the CMTS which typically runs via fibre, then your entire neighbourhood would be affected.  Rogers would most certainly hear about it.  

In order to quantify the losses, you can run a ping test to the CMTS.  To do that, bring up a command prompt and type in:

tracert -4 www.google.ca           (or any other web site, it doesn't matter what you choose)

When the trace is complete, take note of the second IP address in the list.  With the modem in Gateway mode the first IP address will be the modem.  The second IP address is the CMTS.  With an ethernet connected pc or laptop, ping the CMTS and let it run for several hours.   

Here's a ping test for a 1 hour test run.  Type in:

ping -n 3600 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx        where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is that second hop IP address

That will run for 1 hour and terminate.  When that is complete, right click on the top title bar of the command prompt, select Edit .... Select All.  Right click on the top title bar again and select Edit .... Copy.  Paste that into a text editor of some type, and then copy the bottom results.  Please paste that into a post, just to see what the typical losses are.  

Ignore any high pings that you see.  Thats due to an internal modem timing issue that only affect ping times between the modem and the CMTS.  There is no affect on a ping test to a target beyond the CMTS.  

To run a ping test without any ping limit, use:

ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Use Ctrl C to exit the test and show the results.  

To run a 24 hour ping test, use:

ping -n 86400 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Running ping tests at this point will establish a record that you can use a baseline and it will allow you to compare the pre and post cable install results.  Running the same tests after the cable install will help to determine if there are other issues further upstream, beyond the local tap.  

If necessary I'll get you to run ping tests to the DNS and possibly run TCP/IP ping tests. 

Aminamir
I've Been Here Awhile

HITRON CODA-4582U drop internet Connection

Worst experience ever my internet connection drop if weather gets bad ... complain so many time but no luck my kids have online school and they get disconnect from net funny is swap modem two time three tech visit one is high level tech then engineer watch they said nothing wrong when I talk to tech over phone they says yes I can see dropping Connection but no solution I disconnect Rogers Account but they call me I get again because my kids school but my problem is still there ..... net speed should be 1000mbs but it's very slow too when kids are online for school on zoom cant trun ON cam because of net speed and every day when bad weather disconnect net I am not home that time only solutions we have disconnect modem trun then work ok ...sick of its service talk to managers two time ..I will have to call again next week if this keep happening

RogersTony

Hello, @Aminamir

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I know how important it is to have a consistent and fast internet connection especially these days when everyone is working from home due to COVID19.

We'd like to take a closer look at this for you and review the notes on your file and from the technicians to ensure we aren't repeating or missing any important steps. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

RogersTony

eagur
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

Just tried the trace route command, and this is what I got back.  What is the IP im seeing?

C:\Users\erik_>tracert -4 www.google.ca

Tracing route to www.google.ca [172.217.0.227]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 20 ms 10 ms 12 ms yyz10s03-in-f3.1e100.net [172.217.0.227]

Trace complete.

Thanks,

-Erik

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eagur that is one of numerous Google IP addresses that you might connect to via Rogers as indicated in the Whois data:

https://bgp.he.net/ip/172.217.0.227#_whois