Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

With the right circumstances, it would be easy to determine if you could actually connect your set top boxes to someone else's wifi.  

1.  Download Winfi Lite from https://www.helge-keck.com/ and install that on a laptop or wifi connected laptop

2.  Turn off your modem, or pull the power on the modem so that it doesn't transmit any wifi networks. 

3.  Start Winfi Lite and select either 2.4 or 5 Ghz or All from the band selection.  

4.  Have a look at the SSIDs, looking specifically for empty (hidden) SSIDs which can denote the presence of an XB6 or XB7 modem.  Look for multiple hidden SSIDs where the first 4 character pairs of the BSSID are the same.  The final 2 pairs will be or should be different.  You should be able to see two or more BSSIDs on both of the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.  With your modem's power disconnected, it won't transmit any wifi networks, so any networks that match the description above would belong to your neighbours.

5.  Restart a set top box.  Pull the power from the box, wait 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  After it reboots, negotiate your way to the wifi settings and see if it gives you the option to connect to another network.  Since I'm not running one of these, I don't know what info is presented.  Does it present a wifi mac address to connect to?  In any event, try to connect to another network to see if it works.  If it does, that means that there's no backend check on which wifi network the set top box is connected to.  That would be an indication of poor security for this system. 

The fact that the system uses WPS is another security topic all together.  WPS is not secure and that's been known for several years.  Hard to believe that Comcast and now Rogers and Shaw is perpetuating a known security hazard.  On the other hand, maybe its not so hard to believe at all 😞

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink I'm pretty sure that an Ignite STB will not connect to a neighbour's gateway via LnF, even if you go to extreme measures to try to get it to do so... but I have not tested this for myself.

The fact that the system uses WPS is another security topic all together.  WPS is not secure and that's been known for several years.  Hard to believe that Comcast and now Rogers and Shaw is perpetuating a known security hazard.  On the other hand, maybe its not so hard to believe at all 😞

Vidéotron is in the Comcast X1 club as well: https://videotron.com/en/helix/television

(Cogego is the only major Canadian cable company that I know of that uses MediaFirst for their IPTV service: https://www.cogeco.ca/en/epico/ )

At least the Ignite gateways do not support WPS PIN... and my (enterprise) Wi-Fi AP's do not support WPS at all.

dmfan
I Plan to Stick Around

I am loving the technical discussions here.  Thanks, guys.

Does Rogers have the rights and source code to fix software bugs in the XB7 firmware or do they pass the information on to Comcast and wait for them to rollout bug fixes?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dmfan wrote:

Does Rogers have the rights and source code to fix software bugs in the XB7 firmware or do they pass the information on to Comcast and wait for them to rollout bug fixes?

As far as I know, Rogers only licenses the X1 products, technologies and related intellectual capital.  They can customize those products to a large extent, apply their branding, have control over provisioning, and integrate Comcast's technologies with their own, etc.  However, in other respects, they are just an end customer and need to work with Comcast to get bugs fixed and features added.

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/rogers-partners-with-comcast-to-bring-rogers-customers-x1-next-g...

https://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/rogers-partners-with-comcast-to-bring-roger...

Rogers typically does not share any product deployment details or any information concerning their business agreements with other companies beyond what they choose to share in press releases and annual reports.

dmfan
I Plan to Stick Around

That makes sense. 

What it implies is that we can report bugs all we want, Rogers techs won't be able to help us if the issues are firmware related until Comcast decides those bugs are worth fixing.

TECHHEAD
I Plan to Stick Around

Can these STB's be hardwired?

I will be receiving Ignite TV hardware next week and have been reading up on it.

Almost makes me want to cancel my order and not move to Ignite from what I am reading.

I do plan on using the modem in BRIDGED mode and turn WIFI off as I have built my network up with a couple of routers and an AP for full coverage.

dmfan
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, they can be hard wired.

It is not as bad as it appears to be in discussions really.  I have been using Ignite TV for over two years.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TECHHEAD wrote:

Can these STB's be hardwired?

Yes, the Ignite set-top boxes do have Ethernet interfaces and work very well when wired.

I will be receiving Ignite TV hardware next week and have been reading up on it.

Almost makes me want to cancel my order and not move to Ignite from what I am reading.

I do plan on using the modem in BRIDGED mode and turn WIFI off as I have built my network up with a couple of routers and an AP for full coverage.

Don't be too concerned by what has been discussed here.  For what it is worth, I am equally critical of Bell's Home Hub all-in-one modems.  🙂

Ignite TV can also work over 3rd-party network gear, with Bridge Mode enabled on Ignite gateway.  There is also an active thread with some tips on how to do this.  However, this configuration is not officially supported by Rogers and you may be required to revert back to a supported configuration if you should ever need to work with Tech Support to resolve any issues.

Pet peeves notwithstanding, I also do not have any reason not to recommend running Ignite TV using Rogers' equipment in its default configuration.

yyzguy
I've Been Here Awhile

If running the XB7 in bridge mode, with the set top boxes hardwired, does IPv6 still need to be active on the router (pfSense in my case)? Or can IPv6 be disabled?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yyzguy wrote:

If running the XB7 in bridge mode, with the set top boxes hardwired, does IPv6 still need to be active on the router (pfSense in my case)? Or can IPv6 be disabled?

There's only one way to find out.

In an IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack network, the Ignite TV set-top boxes use IPv6 as their preferred protocol.  IPv6 cannot be disabled on the Ignite gateways but the set-top boxes will fall back to IPv4.

Some users have reported success running Ignite TV over an IPv4-only network.  Your mileage may vary.  I have never tested such a configuration so I can't provide you with any first-hand advice on the matter.  If it doesn't work, Rogers will tell you to disable bridge mode and connect your Ignite set-top boxes directly to the Ignite gateway.  As an Ignite TV customer, you should always be prepared to run in a Rogers-supported configuration.