Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toolcubed
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Unless you have WiFi6 capable devices, not sure you’ll see much benefit with the new XB7. In fact, it has fewer 5GHz antennas compared to the XB6. I don’t know how much of an impact that would be but fewer antennas can’t be a good thing 🙂
gil3
I've Been Around

I was  just on the chat session with are a Rogers CSR person and was told that to upgrade from an XB6  to the Gen 2 XB7 will involve a ONE-time fee of 49.99. Has anyone received similar information about this?

gs

rspillas
I've Been Here Awhile

I was told it wasn't available
Equinox
I've Been Here Awhile

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I talked to a Rogers CSR. But he offered me $30 one-time fee for XB7 from CODA-4852. 

liquidneon
I Plan to Stick Around

lovely - I'm a new customer as of ~4 weeks ago. They gave me the XB6... and I've had very significant issues with latency.  Getting ready to go back to Bell if they can't figure this out. 

dmfan
I Plan to Stick Around

In addition to it being Wifi 6, the XB7 is also compatible with the Gen-2 pods, while the XB6 is only compatible with the Gen-1 pods.

One Gen-2 will perform better than three Gen-1 pods.  It has a much higher throughput (because it is Wifi 6, and I believe a dedicated channel for wireless backhauling) in addition to higher signal strength.

dmfan
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been a Rogers' customer for 30 years.  I would say in the last several years tech support has improved drastically.  Most of the techs are knowledgeable and eager to solve your problems.

Just call and explained to them your issues.  Sometimes it might take several calls, as some issues are more complicated than others.  I started a thread in early January about my experience with tech support and customer service.  It took a few calls to sort everything out, but in the end I was a happy customer.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dmfan wrote:

In addition to it being Wifi 6, the XB7 is also compatible with the Gen-2 pods, while the XB6 is only compatible with the Gen-1 pods.

That's strange.  The 2nd Generation Pods are 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) devices, so they should work with both the XB6 and XB7 gateways.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

One Gen-2 will perform better than three Gen-1 pods.  It has a much higher throughput (because it is Wifi 6, and I believe a dedicated channel for wireless backhauling) in addition to higher signal strength.

I can't confirm the higher signal strength but having a dedicated radio for the backhaul should double the throughput of the previous generation Ignite Pods.

dmfan
I Plan to Stick Around

You are absolutely right.  The Gen-2 pods are WiFi 5 only.  Thanks for the correction.

As for them being compatible with XB7...so I was told by the techs when I chatted with them.

In any case, seeing the Gen-2 pod's download speed at 300 mbps is amazing.

Phil307
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently just received the new xb7 modem/router. I figured it would be an upgrade over my current setup (which was the white CODA modem with a TP-link ac1900 router) because of the added antennas, support for the pods and a 2.5gb port.

Fast forward to it being setup and I am extremely disappointed with how awful it handles any kind of management and user control. Rogers believes it tries to make things "so simple" for the masses, but doesn't realize some of us do want some BASIC amount of control. By that I mean the ability to port forward, to assign static IP's, to manage radios, and more. However, when you login into the main modem (10.0.xxx) and try to do any of the above - you are met with all options greyed out and a dialogue message stating you can only do basic SSID name changes inside the rogers app OR web portal (ignitewifi...). Support said there is no way to turn off the "auto management".

Personally, I have printers and multiple servers that require a static IP, but it's not possible to assign because if you try you are met with an error saying "failure! Check your inputs". when nothing is "wrong" with my inputs. I contacted support a few times as well and even on their end they said it wasn't possible. While speaking with support the few times I was taken a bit back that their first recommendations for any of my questions was to put the xb7 in bridge mode and use my router. This leaves me to believe that they get an multitude of technical issues with it from users.

Hiding the SSID and connecting to it is also 50/50 whereas I never had an issue before with any device. Rogers also wants you to "manage" your devices through the app/webportal, but this doesn't seem to sync with the router (10.0.xx) because if you "remove" a device from the app/portal, it does NOT get removed from  (10.0.xx) as it remains in the list of "devices". Using 10.0.0.1 you cannot delete it either!

Perhaps it's mainly just all bugs, I'm just pretty annoyed that I re-organized and adjusted my network setup station to accommodate the xb7 and at this point I'm going to have to rip it down and go back to using my outdated TP-link ac1900. 

If I am missing something on how to do "all of the above" please, enlighten me to what that is as this is frustrating.