cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Internet is not work on certain devices

JustinSh
I plan to stick around

I installed my Ignite modem yesterday, it worked well on my Mac, phones, and tablets. But it didn't work on my PC. I tried ethernet and wifi, and it shows connected but I cannot reach any website or download anything. I just transitioned from Bell, and all devices including my PC work well with Bell, I was so disappointed with Rogers. I really need some help, because my work needs a stable and reliable network.

**Labels Added**

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Ignite Internet is not work on certain devices

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JustinSh  An Ethernet connection should work fine.

Can you try opening a Command window on your PC and enter the following command:

ping 8.8.8.8

If that works and you receive responses, that confirms that you do have network connectivity.  If you get timeouts, you don't have connectivity and we'll need to figure out why.

Are you in a standard Rogers-supported configuration or are you using your own router with your Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode?

Have you also powered off your old Bell modem and disconnected it from your network?

JustinSh
I plan to stick around

Hi,

The following information this the response from my command window.

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out-

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes-32 time=15ms TTL-117

Reply from 8-8-8-8: bytes-32 time -12ms TTL-117

Reply Fron 8-8-8-8: bytes-32 time =14ms TTL-117

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 <25% Loss

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds :

Minimum =12ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 13ms

I already cancel my bell plan and return the modem, and I directly connected my PC with the Ignite modem. It didn't work, and I also tried to connect it to WIFI, but it also didn't work. It shows an Internet connection, but I cannot use the Internet.  All other devices work well except my PC.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JustinSh  Your computer definitely has network connectivity but probably cannot resolve names (such as www.rogers.com) to IP addresses.

Do you have a 3rd-party DNS service configured on your windows PC and also have either Parental Controls or Advanced Security enabled on your Ignite Gateway?

JustinSh
I plan to stick around

I don't have 3rd- party DNS service, and no Parental Controls or Advanced Security. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did you accidentally "Pause" Internet access for that device in Ignite HomeConnect?

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/pause-devices-wifi-access-with-ignite-homeconnect

JustinSh
I plan to stick around

No, I checked my settings and I didn't Pause any of my devices. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Does "ping www.rogers.com" work?

Is your PC able to check for updates?

If your computer has basic network connectivity and you have not make any potentially problematic configuration changes, it should be the sort of thing that can get fixed by rebooting your PC.

JustinSh
I plan to stick around

"ping www.rogers.com" works, but "ping www.youtube.com" or "ping www.gmail.com" and other website dose not work. And I cannot download anything.

Update:

"ping www.rogers.com" worked once, but when I tried again, it did not work.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Sounds like a DNS problem.

Open command and show us the results from command ipconfig  /all

JustinSh
I plan to stick around

How can I solve the problem?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
So what happens when you ping www.microsoft.com?
Show us the result.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JustinSh wrote:

How can I solve the problem?

Your best bet is to go through the following Microsoft Support page: Troubleshooting network problems in Windows

Given that you have basic network connectivity, you can still go through the entire help article... or you can scroll down and go to the "Network troubleshooting on your device" section.  That should help you to reset your network stack back into a good state.

Another possibility is that your system has been infected with malware.

@JustinSh@-G- asked if you had a 3rd-party DNS service running, to which you responded "no". I wonder if you assumed that meant a DNS server on your network?  So, I'm thinking that its possible that @-G- was asking if the pc itself is set to run a DNS service other than Rogers DNS.  Not that it should make a difference.  If you had the pc running some DNS other than Rogers, it should work, unless of course the modem is intercepting the DNS request and making a mess of it. Fwiw, I don't use Rogers DNS now and never have. 

So, with the IP and DNS addresses in mind, can you check their address setting in the pc? To do that, follow the lists shown below:

Start -> Select Control Panel -> Select Network And Sharing Center -> Automatically brings up the Network Connections page -> right click and select the adapter Properties -> Brings up the Ethernet Properties popup ->

1. Scroll down and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Select Properties to display the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties -> Both "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address" should be set as indicated to "Automatically".  Change them if necessary and hit Ok at the bottom of that panel.

2. Scroll down and select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) -> Select Properties to display the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) Properties -> Both "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address" should be set as indicated to "Automatically".  Change them if necessary and hit Ok at the bottom of that panel.

If you made any changes, close all of the panels and reboot the pc.

Just to note, Bell doesn't use IPv6, so I wonder what your pc is set to at the present time.  I suspect all of the above settings should be on Auto, but, you would need to confirm that.

JustinSh
I plan to stick around

@Datalink Hi, 

I just confirmed that both of my Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) are on Auto. And I restart my PC. It still did not work.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JustinSh never mentioned what version of Windows is installed or how old the PC is.

@Datalink A recent PC, running Windows 10 or 11, with default settings, should "just work" with Ignite Internet, especially with an Ethernet connection.  It appears that the basic IP connectivity is there but name resolution is broken.  So, what could an Ignite Gateway do to break that?

A lot of people choose to use an alternate DNS provider -- Quad9, Cloudflare, Google Public DNS, OpenDNS, etc.

Ignite's Parental Controls and Advanced Security features use DNS to block access to forbidden / black-listed sites... and to prevent users from bypassing those features, they block DNS queries to third-party providers.  (That's also the main reason why Comcast does not allow you to configure 3rd-party DNS servers.)

The Ignite HomeConnect app encourages customers to enable Advanced Security, and this can cause all sorts of weird breakage.

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation