cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming a host on the local network.

RB42
I've been here awhile

How does one give a new hostname to a reserved IP address on the local network; the field doesn't seem to be editable.

(In this specific case, the hostname for three of my entries seems to have magically changed to "*".)

***Added Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Renaming a host on the local network.

RogersMoin

Hello, @RB42.

Thank you for being our Community member and for your post.

The devices provide the hostnames when they connect with the gateway modem and request an IP address. It seems like those three devices stopped reporting the hostnames for some reason.

Have you changed the DNS servers on those devices? If you haven’t made any changes and the hostnames remain unpopulated, try power cycling both the gateway modem and the devices. Sometimes, a fresh start can resolve mysterious issues. 😊

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Re: Renaming a host on the local network.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RB42 wrote:

How does one give a new hostname to a reserved IP address on the local network; the field doesn't seem to be editable.

(In this specific case, the hostname for three of my entries seems to have magically changed to "*".)

If you configured a reserved IP address for a device using the web admin UI, there is no way to edit that entry or remove that entry from the Gateway's device list.  You will need to factory reset the Ignite Gateway and reconfigure it from scratch.

I'm not also sure why a hostname would suddenly display as "*".  I am currently running my Gateway in bridge mode and cannot test this.  I don't know what would happen with a device that has both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity.  I don't think that the gateway will allow you to have duplicate hostnames in the device list, even if its for the same device.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation