cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron Router Poor Range- Standalone Router Suggestions

bigdaddymafi
I've been here awhile

Hello everyone, I need your advice on changing this router so that everyone in their rooms can have better coverage. 

I have the white Hitron Router from Rogers and I pay for 1 gig per second, the wifi doesn't get to my brother's room and he is just a floor above where the wifi is. Yes, I know people will ask about interferences but there is none; it's a wooden house true and true.  I have seen people talk about the Netgear but I do not know what to get an I was hoping for suggestions, please. (Its a 3 floor home). 

I have also heard of UBIQUITI and I was hoping someone here uses that or has at least tried it. 

Any advice is welcome. Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron Router Poor Range- Standalone Router Suggestions

@bigdaddymafi have a look at the following post.  Skip down to the section on wifi settings and applications to monitor your wifi network and environment.  As previously suggested, change the wifi settings if required and reboot the modem.  

Load inSSIDer Lite and the Lizard Systems scanner on a laptop and have a look to see who else your competing with in the upper 5 Ghz band.  What you might find is that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopelessly overcrowded and essentially useless.  If so, switch everything that you can up to the 5 Ghz band.  

For routers, I'd recommend a router that has a 1.4 Ghz processor or faster processor.  Preferably faster given that you're running gigabit data rates.  That should be considered as a must have due to the gigabit rates.  Second must have are external antenna.  

Fwiw I run an Asus RT-AC86U that I'm satisfied with.  Next step would be to go to something like a pfsense router with a standalone wifi router running in Access Point mode.  Ubiquiti, specifically Unifi Access Points have a very loyal group of users.  They're more expensive, but, as they say, you get what you pay for. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@bigdaddymafi 

I have a Synology RT2600AC that provides very good WiFi, and has lots of customization options. However before you buy a new router there are a few things you can do to improve WiFi performance of the Hitron. First thing is try and move it to the center of the house/main floor, this should help distribute the signal. The other thing is make sure you optimize the setting on the router:

2.4Ghz: 

Wireless Channel: 1, 6, or 11 only

Wireless Mode: N Only

Security: WPA2 AES

5Ghz:

Wireless Channel: 149+

Wireless Mode: N and AC

Security: WPA2 AES

The Higher Channels on 5Ghz make a big difference with signal levels, also I would also turn off UpNp and WEP Push button for security reasons. 

bigdaddymafi
I've been here awhile

The router has always been in the centre of the house, middle floor so I do not know what is wrong 

I changed the Wireless mode for 2.4Ghz to N Only and then it changed Wireless channel (auto) from 11 to 6 so I will see how that works. That was the only different thing there.

And for 5Ghz the Wireless mode is already in a/n/ac mixed and wireless channel (auto) at 161 but I have changed it to 149+. Everything else okay.

I will see if it is stronger on the Hitron

@bigdaddymafi have a look at the following post.  Skip down to the section on wifi settings and applications to monitor your wifi network and environment.  As previously suggested, change the wifi settings if required and reboot the modem.  

Load inSSIDer Lite and the Lizard Systems scanner on a laptop and have a look to see who else your competing with in the upper 5 Ghz band.  What you might find is that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopelessly overcrowded and essentially useless.  If so, switch everything that you can up to the 5 Ghz band.  

For routers, I'd recommend a router that has a 1.4 Ghz processor or faster processor.  Preferably faster given that you're running gigabit data rates.  That should be considered as a must have due to the gigabit rates.  Second must have are external antenna.  

Fwiw I run an Asus RT-AC86U that I'm satisfied with.  Next step would be to go to something like a pfsense router with a standalone wifi router running in Access Point mode.  Ubiquiti, specifically Unifi Access Points have a very loyal group of users.  They're more expensive, but, as they say, you get what you pay for. 

bigdaddymafi
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it 

@bigdaddymafi  I see that I didn't add the link to the post that I was referring to.  My apologies.  Here's the missing link:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/429489#M54216

Have a look at the wifi settings and the applications for checking out your wifi environment to see who you're competing with.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation