cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow wifi

rileylycnh
I've been around

so i believe its been the past 4-5 months that i have been having a problem with my wifi. there are 3 people in my house that use the wifi at the same time and in december january and february there was really no problem at all with speed but i started noticing thing like being disconected from the interne while using wifi with my devices which are laptops and phones. now after being on the phone for an hour with a lady that had no idea what she was talking about kept getting me to check the internet speed which i couldnt because i couldnt be on the internet any longer then 3 mintes before my router would restart she then told me to reset it myself using the usb that the tech had left. after reseting my router the problem was fixed for about 2 weeks and all of our devices were back to disconecting because the router would reboot this problem has since then dissapeared with no explanation but we now have a new problem and that is extremely slow internet while using the wifi when i play online game mainly nhl14 and league of legend i experience extreme amounts of lag but when im connecte through an ethernet cable the lag goes away now i could obviouslyjust connect my laptop and ps3 to my router everytime i want to play but that just takes out of the convienence of being able to play wherever i want in my house i just want to know if there is any way to fix my wifi speed so i dont have to directly hook up to my touter everytime i want to do something.

***edited labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: slow wifi

Mike1255
I've been here awhile

House is 6 years old and when wired to a laptop I get 196 mb/s

My guess would be wifi encryption and bandwidth settings, and channel assignment which you will be able to determine with a wifi monitoring application as indicated in the list that I sent. 

Now, if you haven't seen that laptop run anything higher in terms of wifi data rates, there is also the issue of the wifi adapter and whether its running one antenna or two.  We might have to look at the adapter specs to see whats up.   If you drill down into the device manager, down to the network adapters, copy the entire wifi adapter model data as shown in the device manager and post it so we can check the specs.  Unfortunately we keep finding laptops, some of them brand new, well designed, except for one item, a cheap single antenna wifi adapter installed by the manufacturer.  Not saying that's the issue here, just bringing up the possibility as we've seen it happen all too often 😞

2nd message sent with two setup list corrections.

slagheap
I've been here awhile

I just upgraded my internet package from 100u to the 500u and got the coda-4582 modem with it. before I was getting around 150dl on 2.4gh and 170 on the 5g.

but since upgrading my 2.4ghz is only getting between 20 and 50 dl the 5g works great as getting over 500 dl.

my computer is only around 25 ft away so distance should not be a issue.

problem is  we have several computers as wife has hers and etc and  mine is only one with 5g.

anyone have any ideas on how to improve the 2.4 ghz speed as  tried changing channels and that didn't work.

@slagheap can you check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n 
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 20 Mhz. In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz. 
Wireless channel: AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems as seen with a wifi monitoring application listed below.
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only. If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again. TKIP is no longer secure and in addition can cause the wifi data rates to cap at 54 Mb/s if WPA - TKIP is selected for the encryption mode.  This is done in order to maintain backwards compatibility with older devices.  So, any modem or router in use today should be set for WPA-2 and AES for secure encryption and high throughput data rates.  Here's a notice from Intel that covers the subject:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006697.html

More recently, the Wifi Alliance outlawed standalone TKIP settings for encryption, although manufacturers are currently ok to use a TKIP/AES setting.  Selecting TKIP in any form however can result in the modem or router dropping down from 802.11n rates to 802.11g rates, which are capped at 54 Mb/s.  Manufacturers are not necessarily clear on that in their instructions, leaving it up to the consumer to figure it out the hard way.  Here's the reference from the Wifi Alliance:

https://www.wi-fi.org/downloads-public/Wi-Fi_Alliance_Technical_Note_TKIP_v1.0.pdf/17196

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel: 149 to 165

Once again, save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only. If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.

Reboot the modem if you had to make any changes, ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.

In addition to those changes, please look at your wifi environment using one of the following applications:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Or,

For IOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8

For Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

That's the last freebie version of inSSIDer and at this point in time is getting a little old. Its fine for 2.4 Ghz application and does work for 802.11n 5 Ghz networks. It does display 802.11ac networks but not as well as it should. This has become a licensed application now for $20 US and works very well for both frequency bands, 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

The other applications are fine for 802.11ac. Acrylic is graphical, WifiInfoView is text only.  The latest version of WifiInfoView now has a data column showing the Utilization % of the networks that it detects and the number of devices on the network.  If you right click on the data area to bring up the column selections, you can deselect columns from the display and move any column up or down in terms of the display order.  

What you want to do is determine what channels in the 2.4 Ghz band and in the 5Ghz 149 to 165 range are occupied and if so, which offers the least competition in terms of signal level for any given channel. If you can find a channel or channel range in that group that is not occupied, that will be the best choice to set in the modem.

There is a also Wi-Fi Site Survey function in the modem located in ADMIN .... DIAGNOSTICS that displays the following data:

Channel ID SSID BSSID Security Signal(%) W-MODE EXTCH NT WPS

That survey works very well in comparison to a typical wifi laptop or desktop due to the three antenna used for the 2.4 Ghz networks and the 4 antenna used for the 5 Ghz networks.  The display isn't terribly user friendly, but, you can copy the data and dump it into something like MS Excel to get a better overall view of it.

deechezaray
I've been around

Hello,

I've been with Rogers for a while and I've been relatively satisfied with the wifi. However recently i've noticed that my wifi signal is quite slow. I have the plan (not sure the name) that should give me 100mg download. When my desktop is hooked up via Ethernet I am getting that speed, however my wifi speed is somewhere in the area of 25-35mg. That seems like an extreme drop off, does it not?

I've had Roger techs at my house and they've suspected that I change the router since i am getting the speed to my home when i use the ethernet. I have an older Airport Express so i decided it was time for a change.

Tonight i tried a new router. I bought an D link 859 with 1750AC capabilities. After taking a while to get it going it seems there is no noticeable difference in wifi speeds. I've done multiple tests around my home with both routers and there really is no real advantage to the new modem. The question is....why not?!

I've called Rogers and they've offered me the new CODA 4582 which i pick up tomorrow. The question is...is this new modem superior to the older Rocket Modem? Will it help with the wifi drop off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to find a solution to the weak wifi signal.  The same speeds with upgraded router has me baffled....

@deechezaray are you running a 2.4 or 5 Ghz network or both?  Most likely, the answer to your problem, especially if its a 2.4 Ghz network, is the growth in the number of nearby users running 2.4 and/or 5 Ghz networks.  Changing modems and routers will most likely have a very minimal effect on what you see for results.  Any other wifi network that is running nearby could in theory prevent your network from running at its highest rate, and for those networks that can't be deciphered by your modem, router or remote devices, that is considered as background noise.   There are two issues afoot, the issue of utilization of any one given channel, and in the shift in the number of error correction bits in a wifi transmission due to the background noise.  As the channel utilization goes up, with a larger number of users, each transmitting device has less time allowed for transmit puposes over a given period of time, therefore your max data rate will slow down.  The higher the background noise, the higher the number of error correction bits in a transmission, where those bits may have previously been used for data transmission in a low noise environment.  The more noise that is present, the harder it is to run a network, to the point where it might become all but impossible. 

At some point users may have to come to a conclusion in terms of using the 2.4 Ghz band.  I have somewhere above forty 2.4 Ghz modems and routers running nearby, so, the 2.4 Ghz band is pretty hopeless.  Solution .... shift everything up to the 5 Ghz band where possible, and even with that I'm fighting with both of my neighbors for channel space.  The end result is that my 5 Ghz network still runs at a respectible rate, but, not as fast as it should, given the low power differential between my network and my neighbors network, as seen on a wifi monitoring application.   Only way to resolve that would be to use high gain antenna on my RT-AC68U which would be good for the main floor of the house, but no good for the upstairs, or, use multiple wifi access points around the house to keep the transmitter to device distances to a minimum.  That is food for thought.....

Ok, so, what to do.  First is to check the wifi encryption settings to ensure that the modem or router will run as fast as it can, then check the wifi environment to determine if there are better channels to use:

With that in mind, check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 n
Channel Bandwidth:  20/40 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 20 Mhz.  In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  
Wireless channel:  AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems
WPS Enabled:  OFF
Security Mode:  WPA-Personal
Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Note that TKIP is no longer secure for encryption purposes and should not be used in a TKIP only, or combo AES/TKIP setting.  On top of that TKIP is not compatible with 802.11n and will force the modem or router to operate at 802.11g rates maximum, which is 54 Mb/s.

Wireless Mode:  802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth:  80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel:  149 to 165
WPS Enabled:  OFF
Security Mode:  WPA-Personal
Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Reboot the modem or router if you had to make any changes.

Then look at your wifi environment using one of the following applications:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

Or,

For IOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8

For Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Thats the last freebie version of inSSIDer and at this point in time is getting a little old.  Its fine for 2.4 Ghz application and does work for 802.11n 5 Ghz networks.  It does display 802.11ac networks but not as well as it should.  This has become a licenced application now for $20 US and works very well for both frequency bands, 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  

The other applications are fine for 802.11ac.  Acrylic is graphical, WifiInfoView is text only.  WifiInfoView has a number of displays available.  I believe there listed under the View or Options top menu selection.  There is a Channel Summery view that allows you do determine how many wifi modems and routers are running on any one given channel.  In the selection of data items that can be seen, there is also a utilization selection that can be displayed.  The combination of the Channel Summery and Utilization column will give you a good idea as to the % of time that any one given channel is occupied.  Ideally you would be running on a channel where you are alone and have full use of the channel.  Unfortunately, that is very difficult, so, probably the best you can do is select the channel with the least number of users on it and with the least number of users on adjacent channels, which cut down on the available time utilization of your selected channel as well as increase the background noise. 

Ok, have a look at the wifi environment and set the 2.4 Ghz  channel and the 5 Ghz channel (in the 149 to 161 range) to the best possible choice and see how this turns out.  Please let us know what you find.  You can take a screen capture and post the image if you need any assistance.  Please be sure to delete your MAC address from that image prior to posting it. 

Dugi
I'm a senior contributor

@deechezaray

I can vouch for everything said by @Datalink. When we first switched over to the CGN3ACSMR on the 100/10 plan, we had the exact same issue. We were getting speeds of 130/10 using an ethernet connection but only 30/10 using wifi. After contacting rogers we switched to the 5 Ghz network for wifi, which brought our speeds up to 60/10 using wifi. Then I came across a post from @Datalink going over in detail what my settings should be. After following his recommendations and changing my settings for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, my wifi speeds, still using the 5 Ghz network, now match the speeds I get using an ethernet connection. In particular, changing the channel bandwidth on the 5 Ghz network from the the default 20 to 80 did the trick.  Unfortunately, rogers tech support told me nothing about changing my settings. Thankfully, people like @Datalink are on here and the help they provide is invaluable.

ruoweifang
I've been around

My wifi is always glitchy, can't reach certain rooms in the house... tried calling Rogers and they say that after they do their tests, everything seems fine.. But it's really frustrating when the wifi doesn't work. I have the Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem with the Rogers Ignite Gigabit - UNLTD plan. When I tried calling about the wifi not working, Rogers rep suggested that I buy a wifi extender. However, how does that help me if the wifi itself is not even working in the same room as the modem? Also, why am I spending more money on something that should already be working fine? What other options do I have? Can I ask for a rogers technician to come to the house to check?

@ruoweifang can you have a look at the post from @deechezaray and my response to it is here

You might have some challenges in terms of wifi coverage in your own home that might be ultimately solved by buying a router with external antenna, but, I'd look at the settings for your wifi networks and at the wifi environment in order to see what your wifi networks are competing with for clear channel space. 

Personal opinion, wifi issues are best handled by the end user with some assistance from others.  A little help and knowledge can go a long way when it comes to resolving persistent wifi problems.

Blanchard77
I've been here awhile

Hi I'm having a hard time to connect with my Wi-Fi nothing is working my phone and the internet

Have a look at the following post, specifically the wifi settings and looking at your wifi environment to determine the best wifi channels to use:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

Hopefully the info in the post will provide the necessary assistance.  Let us know if you're still having issues with your wifi. 

Blanchard77
I've been here awhile

Ok but when I check my Wi-Fi it said strong and I'm connect but I can't play game or go on Facebook. Or get email.
But I need to turn off my WiFi and put my data. And I can go play or check email.

@Blanchard77 wrote:

Ok but when I check my Wi-Fi it said strong and I'm connect but I can't play game or go on Facebook. Or get email.
But I need to turn off my WiFi and put my data. And I can go play or check email.

@Blanchard77

Is your home phone and cable tv working? If they are then try the following with the modem:

Try a wired device connected to the modem and see if that works. If nothing works , then I suggest you unplug the modem for 10 seconds then plug it back in and allow it to boot up.

If all else fails then call Rogers tech support and have them check the signal and see what's going on.

Blanchard77
I've been here awhile
Ok I don't have home phone.yes my cable working everything work except my Wi-Fi it so weird

WiFi Upload/Download speed

Hi Guys new here. So I recently got Rogers service internet and cable installed a month ago. I have the unlimited high-speed 1G package for my internet. However I find my WiFi being extremely slow. Upon doing the speed test using Rogers app my download speed on 5G shows 165mbps and upload shows under 20mbps. This explains why I was not able to upload Facebook or Instagram app when on WiFi however on my data I had no issue running these apps. I have opened up a service ticket with Rogers who confirmed that is a very slow speed for a 1G package... Anyone here have any insights as what to expect? Thanks.

stoneball
I plan to stick around

Exact same position with glitchy wifi over last few months. Long story short after many CSR conversations and tech visits where connectors were changed in the house and at box with no improvement, I asked Rogers to come move my Hitron modem from basement office (where they have been for years without problem) to main floor family room where all the wifi stuff happens.  Result is outstanding 100-200Mbps  on 2.4 and 5G. Should have done this months ago and saved myself and Rogers a lot of aggravation. Tech who did the modem move ( he spent 10 min putting a splitter on my cable box coax; signal on cable box coax was so strong they had put  a filter on it in the past so splitter was no prob). 

Was ready to move to new ISP after CSR said my devices were old and I should not expect to get as strong a signal as in the past (oldest was 2 IPads 2-3 yrs old!) and that I should go to BestBuy and buy a wifi extender or get the new Rogers mash system! Glad I gave it one last try, last Rogers tech said the reason stuff worked seamlessly in the past is that people used to have only a few wifi devices in house but now with all smart devices connected (I have 8 wifi atm), the wifi sytem both home and in immediate area gets overloaded and glitches become more frequent esp at 2.4G band (I could not use 5G band due to weak range signal).

Now I have everything I can on 5G, and even the 2.4G stuff is >100Mbps. Rogers CSRs need to factor modem position/relocation into resolving frequent/recurring difficult to resolve wifi complaints. Original position (1980s) based on being beside desktop computer in home office may no longer be the right config for 2018 wifi environment. 

Wifi speed drops dramatically at night

Someone help please!

We cut the cable and went with Apple TV and an android box for streaming movies etc. I have a modem bridged to the Cintron modem and have spent a lot of money on a new hardware and every night when we want to watch a movie of something in my bedroom on the second floor the signal dies. It's lightning fast during the day but is absolute garbage at night. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Forgot to mention that we have ignite 250

@Stromey there are two possible problems here, the cable feed from the local node, or, the shared nature of wifi. 

Do you notice slow data rates in the evening with wired devices?  If so, that could point to congestion at the local node or at the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  You really need to find a way to determine if you would suffer from the same problem over a wired connection.  That might involve buying a 50 or 100 ft Cat 6 ethernet cable that you can string around the home for test purposes.  I keep one on hand for the odd occasion that I'm troubleshooting a problem.  Either that or move a tv for temporary test purposes so that you can connect to the network via ethernet.  Knowing that the wired feed is ok would point any troubleshooting in the right direction.  

For the wifi situation, there are only so many wifi channels and as more users receive/send data via wifi over those limited number of channels, every transmitter (modem or router) has to wait for an opportunity to transmit its data.  During the day, when most people in a residential neighbourhood are at work, those modems or routers are still up and running, but, with no traffic to transmit, they might only be transmitting their wifi beacons, so, very little traffic on any wifi channel within a given geographic area.  Later in the evening, with everyone home, gaming, streaming, etc, etc, the amount of traffic probably goes up exponentially, all of which is running over a limited number of channels.  That problem will only get worse as wifi use grows every month/year.   So, not good news.  

The fact that your tv is upstairs is also part of the problem as any wifi equipment on a higher floor has a larger Radio Frequency horizon and range, and as a result can see a good many more transmitters in operation, all of which cause that device to run fewer transmit opportunities.  Wifi is a first come, first serve system.  When a given channel goes silent, as in the transmitting device has completed its data transmission, that starts a pseudo random timer in all wifi adapters on that channel (within a given RF range).  The first device to transmit claims the channel for its use.  Every other device which recognizes that the channel is now occupied has to wait.  So, with more data running thru all of the various networks, that just slows every network down, possibly adding to any slow data issues that you might be experiencing at the local node or CMTS. 

Can you do anything about it?  First or second thing to do is to determine if you see the same problem with wired devices.  Next, you can optimize the settings for your wifi networks and determine whom you're competing with for usable wifi channels to select the best channel to use.  Beyond that its time to look at alternative methods of distributing data around your home, which includes using ethernet if its available or MoCA 2.0 adapters connected to the cable system that exists in your home.

First step, check out a wired tv.  I leave that to you to determine the easiest way to do it.  Use another tv, or move the existing tv, or run a long enough ethernet cable for test purposes. 

Next, the wifi settings.  You didn't indicate which network you were using, 2.4 or 5 Ghz.  Using a 5 Ghz network should normally be the first choice, but, that depends on what you find when you look at your wifi environment.  So .....

.....can you check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n 
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 20 Mhz. In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  It will default to 20 Mhz in a crowded environment.
Wireless channel: AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems as seen with a wifi monitoring application listed below.

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel: 149 to 165     Use this higher channel range as it runs higher transmit power levels.

If you had to change any parameters, reboot your router after the changes have been saved. 

Next, look at your wifi environment and see who else you're competing with for usable channels.  Load one of the following wifi scanners onto a laptop and then do a walk about, around your home and upstairs to see what the channel situation looks like.  I'd recommend the following order for selection:

Lizard systems wifi scanner

inSSIDer lite    (I run a licenced version of this, but the lite version is probably fairly close)

Acrylic

These can be found at the following locations:

inSSIDer Lite:  Requires a freebie account set up to use it.  That is displayed when you go to download the application.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/?utm_source=MetaGeek+Customers&utm_campaign=d4c1da8a...

Lizard Systems wifi scanner:

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/

A freebie home user licence can be obtained by using the Get Licence link for the Wifi Scanner on the following page:

https://lizardsystems.com/purchase/

Acrylic wifi scanner which is also free:

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/

WifiInfoView.  Within the options section there are multiple data displays, one of which is the % utilization of the wifi channels.  I don't know if this is a calculated number or a number collected from those routers and modems that transmit that data.  In any event, you will see a difference between the day and night utilization of the displayed channels

When you walk about your home with the wifi scanner running, keep in mind which channel you are using and have a look at the graphical display on the Lizard Systems or inSSIDer display.  That will show you just how many other network are running on your channel.  Stop in place for two to three minutes so that the application has enough time to adjust to the new location in your home.  You can sort the data in the text data display by selecting the column titles to sort the data up or down.  Sorting the channel column will allow you to determine how many networks are running on each channel.  Sometimes there are too many to determine from the graphical display, so, sorting the text data is the only way to determine that.  

Ok, so, thats a starting point.  It should keep you busy for a day or two.  

Do you happen to have ethernet cabling installed within the walls of your home?  If you don't know, take a wallplate off the wall that has a cable or telepone port and have a look behind the wallplate for other cabling that does not have any connectors installed.  Structured wiring, if installed usually consists of two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable tv, one Cat-5e cable for ethernet, and one Cat 3, possibly a Cat-5e for telephones.  Typically contractors will install one connector and tuck the rest of the cabling behind the wallplate, where it sits until its discovered by the homeowner and put to use.  So, thats another question to answer, whether or not that cable bundle is installed in your home.  If the house is built within the last 15 years or so, there's a good chance that its installed, just not completed to its full potential. 

If you don't have ethernet cabling available, its also possible to use the existing cable network in the home by using a pair, or more, of Actiontec ethernet to cable adapters, or use a cable to wifi adapter.  Here's a couple of Youtube videos on that subject.  They're a little simplistic as there is more to setting these up, but, they're a fair demonstration of the capability of MoCA 2.0 adapters:

Actiontec ECB6200K02 Bonded MOCA 2.0 Review - Extend a network with cable TV wires!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCaZqxVAJE

Actiontec MOCA 2.0 802.11ac Wireless Network Extender Review - WCB6200Q02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKqKISkgU7M

Hope this helps.....

Thanks for the tips.

Just to clarify, I have my modem bridged with a dlink wifi router and I have a netgear booster upstairs. I run an Ethernet cable from the booster to the android box. I don't run Ethernet cables into my tv.

Downstairs everything is hardwired via Ethernet cables into the modem.

I run all of my wireless devices via 5g

And the slowdown is only at night

@Stromey, is the Netgear booster a Netgear Repeater?  Just want to make sure I understand.  Repeaters usually end up cutting the throughput rates due to their channel usage.  

The Android box is an Android TV?  

Is there any way to test that tv with a direct connection to the router, just to determine if this is a cable system issue, a wifi issue, or a combination of both?  

Do you see any slow data issues with the wired equipment at night?

Topic Stats