Hitron 4582 - exit bridge mode without factory reset?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XCPC
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron 4582 - exit bridge mode without factory reset?

> You can only access the modem while you are inside the home connected to your home network. Remote access to the modem has been disabled for security reasons. 

Sorry for muddying the water.

By remote i meant not physically at the modem. I would like to have to option to reboot the modem from the LAN side of the network, without having to physically remove the power from the device.

I can access the modem's login screen but not login

Message sent to @CommunityHelps.

Again i have made it to the Login Screen of the modem, where if in route mode, you can use cusadmin to login.

XCPC
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink 

"Some users have had to create a rule in their firewall to permit 192.168.100.1 to pass thru their router, but, that's a small group of users. Normally that address works thru the router to the modem without any problem."

So from this it seem that the packet must be coming from the WAN ip address assigned by the modem itself, and a route to 192.168.100.1 (usually covered by a "default route") must point out to the default gateway assigned by the device.

Is this a correct assessment of the situation?

Anyone know if there is any access list preventing access from 192.168.100.0/24 ?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@XCPC what router are you using?  

What's the LAN IP address range that your router is set up with?  Any chance you're using an address range that contains 192.168.100.1?  With the modem in Bridge mode, the router is normally takes up 192.168.0.1 with an address range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255.  Now, its possible to set that address range to anything that you want, but, it can't contain and use 192.168.100.1 in order to prevent any IP address conflicts with the modem.  

Do you do any IP address blocking with the router?

Do you have any blockers running on the web browser that you're using?  If so, do you have one browser that doesn't have any blockers running?  As an example, if you have NoScript running, you can get to the login page at 192.168.100.1, but, the page won't display unless you assign a temporary or permanent trusted status to that page. 

Do you happen to know what firmware version you have running on the modem?

XCPC
I Plan to Stick Around

At this point i am working off multiple setups to try to understand any issues. To be clear i can access the "CODA-4582U Login" screen but the credentials dont work. Also this is about 7 differnt locations that i have access to with the same " i cant login " issue.

I have a mix of Cisco IOS routers and for more targeted testing PC running linux acting as a router, connected directory to the modem.

Cisco IOS does not like mixing Static IPs and DHCP, however the linux PC can be setup with dual IPs (the DHCP wan address and a 192.168.100.0/24 address). This is how i initial gained access to the login screen.

After reading your post i guessed that the router would intercept packets destined for 192.168.100.1 from any ip, so since the CISCO router does NAT, adding a manual route for 192.168.100.1 via the default gateway's ip on the cisco provide access from the lan to the Login screen and no longer required a computer on the WAN side with a 192.168.100.0/24 address. And now any device on the LAN can access 192.168.100.1, however still cannot login.

LAN ips are in the 172.16.0.0/12 subnet so not conflicting with any part of the network (that i know of)

The modem is in bridge mode so it provide a public ip address as part of DHCP (not 192.168.0.0/24)

I cannot login to the router to find the firmware.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so what happens when the modem is running in Gateway mode?  Same thing?  You can navigate to the login page at 192.168.0.1, but can't log in?  I'd be interested in what happens when the modem is in Gateway modem and you connect directly to the modem as a test, and also connect thru the routers, just to see if there's a difference in the login behaviour. 

If you wanted to try that but don't want to run a factory reset, call tech support and ask the tech support rep to kick the modem into Gateway mode.  If there's a long waiting period, use the call back option to have tech support call you, so that you don't wait on the phone for some period of time.  

XCPC
I Plan to Stick Around

Connecting in gateway mode works fine. I did a test when i had a tech visiting to replace a modem where i logged in to move it to bridge mode, this time writing down the "wifi" password as that becomes cusadmin.

As soon as it hit bridge mode i was no longer able to login as cusadmin even with the newly set wifi password.

I have seen similar behavior on some DSL modems if you access it from an IP address that is not expecting (ie different subnet then the LAN side) and you need to add the additional subsets to the ACLs. I am wondering if that is what is wrong in roger's buggy firmware 😞

But from the sounds of it people have been able to login recently so i dont know if thats it.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm running firmware version 7.1.1.37 and just checked a few minutes ago to confirm that I can still log into the modem.  Yup, logging in wasn't a problem.  The events log was empty, which is a long standing issue with the 7.x versions.  Usually  a reboot will allow the user to see the logged events again.  The data is being logged, but, after some point in time it can't be accessed and displayed.  Its there, but, you need to reboot the modem to be able to see it.  

Fwiw, I'd call tech support and:

1.  ask what firmware version is loaded on the modem: and 

2.  ask the tech support rep to change the modem's login password to some character string of your choosing. (no unusual characters, keep it simple for now).  After that's done, stay on the phone with the tech rep and try logging into the modem.  I don't have an explanation for the problem.  After you reset the modem and entered a new wifi (modem) password/passphrase you should have been able to log into the modem.  But, I'm wondering if your passphrase contains any strange unexpected characters.  Thinking about this, there was an issue, a long time ago where the Hitron modems wouldn't accept certain characters.  I'm wondering if the same thing has happened with version 7.x which is built on a new kernel?  Maybe Hitron mucked up when they moved from version 2.x to version 7.x, where the modem stores and uses the character string for the wifi properly, but doesn't do the same for the modem password?  Thats why I'm thinking about setting the modem password to something simple for test purposes.

If you do this, and still can't log into the modem, then I'd ask the tech support rep to change the modem password to something more complicated and leave it at that.  At this point I'd call on @RogersIan to have a look at this to see if there's an issue with logging in when the modem is in Bridge mode.  You would have to give him a similar example of the character string that you used when you set the modem up.  

XCPC
I Plan to Stick Around

So that was fun

Called first time - 15 minute wait to hit dead air

Called a second time - 21 minute wait, to hit a short dead air burst, a tech introducing themselves, being put on hold then disconnected.

3rd time i decided to try the call back, it called back before finishing the config of the call back, but after a bit of weirdness talked to a tech.

Confirmed the number was firmware was 7.1.1.37

Changes the password to something simple, but again it would not work!

And as every tech swore that "You cannot access the modem when its in bridge mode" =(

XCPC
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersIanAny idea why some can access the modem in bridge mode but i cannot get my password to work?

XCPC
I Plan to Stick Around

I think i cracked it!

Issue was i was SSH tunneling port 80 and accessing http://127.0.0.1 or doing some other method remotely. What i didnt factor in was the HTTP headers being sent because normally it wouldn't matter.

This means that the http header for host would have also been 127.0.0.1

So my guess is that if the modem does not see 192.168.100.1 as the host field it will reject your credentials!

I currently do not have a good solution on how to get around this, for my testing I hacked around this by assigning 192.168.100.1 to my pc and using "allow remote host" options in forwarded ports. This way when I go to http://192.168.100.1 it would actually hit the local port 80 and tunnel over ssh.

In short you MUST goto http://192.168.100.1 or https://192.168.100.1 or your credentials will NOT work.