cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron 4582 - exit bridge mode without factory reset?

able_charly
I plan to stick around

Hello,

I'm looking at trying out bridge mode on my Hitron 4582, and of course want to be sure I can get back to my regular set up.  I know how to get into bridge mode.  And I've read that to get out of it just press and hold the reset button, which will do a full factory reset.

But is this the only way?  Since I'm playing with setting up some other devices, I expect to need to be in and out of bridge mode several, maybe many, times - probably over several days as I can't lock up the whole home's internet too long while I fiddle - and each time I'm going to have to re-input all my set-up configurations and usernames & passwords?

Sure would b great if someone knew how to avoid this.

Thank you.

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron 4582 - exit bridge mode without factory reset?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@able_charly thats very easy to do. 

Typically you use 192.168.0.1 to log into the modem when its in Gateway mode.  That IP address will only work when the modem is in Gateway mode.

192.168.100.1 will work for either mode, Gateway or Bridge mode.  When the modem is in Bridge mode with a router behind it, or with a straight connection to the modem, you can use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem's login page.  Note that when the modem is in Bridge mode, you can only use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem's login page.

Some users have had to create a rule in their firewall to permit 192.168.100.1 to pass thru their router, but, that's a small group of users.  Normally that address works thru the router to the modem without any problem.

When you log into the modem (in Bridge mode) you simply have to reenable the Residential Gateway Function which is located in BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot back into Gateway modem with its previous settings intact.  This is much simpler than running a Factory Reset where you have to set the modem up again, unless of course you save the settings and simply reload them, followed by a reboot. That reduces the pain when it comes to running a Factory Reset, but, logging into the modem and changing the Residential Gateway Function is much simpler.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@able_charly thats very easy to do. 

Typically you use 192.168.0.1 to log into the modem when its in Gateway mode.  That IP address will only work when the modem is in Gateway mode.

192.168.100.1 will work for either mode, Gateway or Bridge mode.  When the modem is in Bridge mode with a router behind it, or with a straight connection to the modem, you can use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem's login page.  Note that when the modem is in Bridge mode, you can only use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem's login page.

Some users have had to create a rule in their firewall to permit 192.168.100.1 to pass thru their router, but, that's a small group of users.  Normally that address works thru the router to the modem without any problem.

When you log into the modem (in Bridge mode) you simply have to reenable the Residential Gateway Function which is located in BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot back into Gateway modem with its previous settings intact.  This is much simpler than running a Factory Reset where you have to set the modem up again, unless of course you save the settings and simply reload them, followed by a reboot. That reduces the pain when it comes to running a Factory Reset, but, logging into the modem and changing the Residential Gateway Function is much simpler.

able_charly
I plan to stick around

Thank you - that's very clear and concise.  

I set a different IP for the unit, just to be interesting.  But with it still in Gateway mode, 92.168.100.1 did take me to the login page and I was able to login using the usual credentials.  I notice that everything looks exactly the same - including all the router functions, but maybe that will change when it's in Bridge mode.

Yes, I had found the configuration file save function in the meantime, definitely a time saver.  But this is much much better.  Thanks again.

@able_charly the top UI menu is reduced to the STATUS, BASIC, and ADMIN sections when the modem is in Bridge mode.  As the modem doesn't run any firewall, routing, or security functions, all of those sections are not available in Bridge mode.  

***  Note that when the modem is in Bridge mode, you can only use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem's login page.

dars
I've been here awhile

I've tried 192.168.100.1 during Gateway Mode on my Hitron Coda 4582, but it doesn't go to the modem login page.

only 192.168.0.1 will direct it to the page.

Am I missing some settings?

Thanks,

Darwin

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dars 

With firmware version 7.x loaded:

192.168.0.1 works when the modem is in Gateway mode

192.168.100.1 works when the modem is in Bridge mode.  Normally you can access the modem thru the connected router.  Sometimes the user has to define a router path in order to access the upstream modem.  That's pretty rare but it does happen depending on the router in use. 

If you attempt to access the login page, and the modem doesn't respond, pull the power from the modem, wait 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in, which forces a modem restart.  Most likely you have version 7.x loaded as seen by the Software (firmware) version seen on the STATUS page.  That page is displayed automatically when you log into the modem.  With version 7.x loaded, the modem login page becomes unresponsive after a few days or weeks.  So, for the time being, pulling the power from the modem appears to be the workaround to the problem.  

dars
I've been here awhile

Thanks. I'll try that.  Version is 7.1.1.33

I don't have the Mesh Router connected yet, but I want to make sure I can change it back to Gateway mode, which is why I checked 192.168.100.1

Thanks a lot for the info.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To kick the modem into Bridge mode, log into the modem using 192.168.0.1, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the changes to initiate the reboot into Bridge mode. 

To kick the modem back into Gateway mode, thru the connected router, log into the modem using 192.168.100.1, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION and enable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the changes to initiate the reboot back into Gateway mode.  

Keep in mind the non-response issue with version 7.x loaded.  Pull the power, wait 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  After the restart the modem should behave as indicated just above. 

With the modem in Bridge mode, if you log into the modem and kick it back into Gateway mode by reenabling the Residential Gateway Function, the modem will reboot into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact.  

If for any reason, you can't get the modem back into Gateway mode, then you can always force a change by running a factory reset.  In this case, depress the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and release it.  The modem will reboot back into Gateway mode after a factory reset.  The unfortunate part here is that you will have to reset any parameters that you are interested in changing.  If the intention is to return back to Bridge mode, then you only have to specify the modem's wifi network name and passphrase, where the passphrase is also the modem's password.  Keep in mind that you can change the modem's password to something else in order to differentiate it from the wifi passphrase.  Navigate to ADMIN .... Management to change the modem's password.  Beyond that, its just a matter of disabling the Residential Gateway Function once again and saving the change to return to Bridge mode. 

XCPC
I plan to stick around

I can get to the login page, but wont take my credentials.

Tried cusadmin/password, credentials didnt work

I factory reset, setup the wifi (so i knew the password) then bridged it, credentials didnt work

I asked rogers to reset cusadmin, they did, credentials didnt work

It would be nice to be able to reboot a non-functioning modem remotely! Any one have any ideas?

Hello, @XCPC.

Thank you for joining this thread, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

You can only access the modem while you are inside the home connected to your home network. Remote access to the modem has been disabled for security reasons. 

If you can't log in to the modem while connected to your home network, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

XCPC
I plan to stick around

> You can only access the modem while you are inside the home connected to your home network. Remote access to the modem has been disabled for security reasons. 

Sorry for muddying the water.

By remote i meant not physically at the modem. I would like to have to option to reboot the modem from the LAN side of the network, without having to physically remove the power from the device.

I can access the modem's login screen but not login

Message sent to @CommunityHelps.

Again i have made it to the Login Screen of the modem, where if in route mode, you can use cusadmin to login.

XCPC
I plan to stick around

@Datalink 

"Some users have had to create a rule in their firewall to permit 192.168.100.1 to pass thru their router, but, that's a small group of users. Normally that address works thru the router to the modem without any problem."

So from this it seem that the packet must be coming from the WAN ip address assigned by the modem itself, and a route to 192.168.100.1 (usually covered by a "default route") must point out to the default gateway assigned by the device.

Is this a correct assessment of the situation?

Anyone know if there is any access list preventing access from 192.168.100.0/24 ?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@XCPC what router are you using?  

What's the LAN IP address range that your router is set up with?  Any chance you're using an address range that contains 192.168.100.1?  With the modem in Bridge mode, the router is normally takes up 192.168.0.1 with an address range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255.  Now, its possible to set that address range to anything that you want, but, it can't contain and use 192.168.100.1 in order to prevent any IP address conflicts with the modem.  

Do you do any IP address blocking with the router?

Do you have any blockers running on the web browser that you're using?  If so, do you have one browser that doesn't have any blockers running?  As an example, if you have NoScript running, you can get to the login page at 192.168.100.1, but, the page won't display unless you assign a temporary or permanent trusted status to that page. 

Do you happen to know what firmware version you have running on the modem?

XCPC
I plan to stick around

At this point i am working off multiple setups to try to understand any issues. To be clear i can access the "CODA-4582U Login" screen but the credentials dont work. Also this is about 7 differnt locations that i have access to with the same " i cant login " issue.

I have a mix of Cisco IOS routers and for more targeted testing PC running linux acting as a router, connected directory to the modem.

Cisco IOS does not like mixing Static IPs and DHCP, however the linux PC can be setup with dual IPs (the DHCP wan address and a 192.168.100.0/24 address). This is how i initial gained access to the login screen.

After reading your post i guessed that the router would intercept packets destined for 192.168.100.1 from any ip, so since the CISCO router does NAT, adding a manual route for 192.168.100.1 via the default gateway's ip on the cisco provide access from the lan to the Login screen and no longer required a computer on the WAN side with a 192.168.100.0/24 address. And now any device on the LAN can access 192.168.100.1, however still cannot login.

LAN ips are in the 172.16.0.0/12 subnet so not conflicting with any part of the network (that i know of)

The modem is in bridge mode so it provide a public ip address as part of DHCP (not 192.168.0.0/24)

I cannot login to the router to find the firmware.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so what happens when the modem is running in Gateway mode?  Same thing?  You can navigate to the login page at 192.168.0.1, but can't log in?  I'd be interested in what happens when the modem is in Gateway modem and you connect directly to the modem as a test, and also connect thru the routers, just to see if there's a difference in the login behaviour. 

If you wanted to try that but don't want to run a factory reset, call tech support and ask the tech support rep to kick the modem into Gateway mode.  If there's a long waiting period, use the call back option to have tech support call you, so that you don't wait on the phone for some period of time.  

XCPC
I plan to stick around

Connecting in gateway mode works fine. I did a test when i had a tech visiting to replace a modem where i logged in to move it to bridge mode, this time writing down the "wifi" password as that becomes cusadmin.

As soon as it hit bridge mode i was no longer able to login as cusadmin even with the newly set wifi password.

I have seen similar behavior on some DSL modems if you access it from an IP address that is not expecting (ie different subnet then the LAN side) and you need to add the additional subsets to the ACLs. I am wondering if that is what is wrong in roger's buggy firmware 😞

But from the sounds of it people have been able to login recently so i dont know if thats it.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm running firmware version 7.1.1.37 and just checked a few minutes ago to confirm that I can still log into the modem.  Yup, logging in wasn't a problem.  The events log was empty, which is a long standing issue with the 7.x versions.  Usually  a reboot will allow the user to see the logged events again.  The data is being logged, but, after some point in time it can't be accessed and displayed.  Its there, but, you need to reboot the modem to be able to see it.  

Fwiw, I'd call tech support and:

1.  ask what firmware version is loaded on the modem: and 

2.  ask the tech support rep to change the modem's login password to some character string of your choosing. (no unusual characters, keep it simple for now).  After that's done, stay on the phone with the tech rep and try logging into the modem.  I don't have an explanation for the problem.  After you reset the modem and entered a new wifi (modem) password/passphrase you should have been able to log into the modem.  But, I'm wondering if your passphrase contains any strange unexpected characters.  Thinking about this, there was an issue, a long time ago where the Hitron modems wouldn't accept certain characters.  I'm wondering if the same thing has happened with version 7.x which is built on a new kernel?  Maybe Hitron mucked up when they moved from version 2.x to version 7.x, where the modem stores and uses the character string for the wifi properly, but doesn't do the same for the modem password?  Thats why I'm thinking about setting the modem password to something simple for test purposes.

If you do this, and still can't log into the modem, then I'd ask the tech support rep to change the modem password to something more complicated and leave it at that.  At this point I'd call on @RogersIan to have a look at this to see if there's an issue with logging in when the modem is in Bridge mode.  You would have to give him a similar example of the character string that you used when you set the modem up.  

XCPC
I plan to stick around

So that was fun

Called first time - 15 minute wait to hit dead air

Called a second time - 21 minute wait, to hit a short dead air burst, a tech introducing themselves, being put on hold then disconnected.

3rd time i decided to try the call back, it called back before finishing the config of the call back, but after a bit of weirdness talked to a tech.

Confirmed the number was firmware was 7.1.1.37

Changes the password to something simple, but again it would not work!

And as every tech swore that "You cannot access the modem when its in bridge mode" =(

XCPC
I plan to stick around

@RogersIanAny idea why some can access the modem in bridge mode but i cannot get my password to work?

XCPC
I plan to stick around

I think i cracked it!

Issue was i was SSH tunneling port 80 and accessing http://127.0.0.1 or doing some other method remotely. What i didnt factor in was the HTTP headers being sent because normally it wouldn't matter.

This means that the http header for host would have also been 127.0.0.1

So my guess is that if the modem does not see 192.168.100.1 as the host field it will reject your credentials!

I currently do not have a good solution on how to get around this, for my testing I hacked around this by assigning 192.168.100.1 to my pc and using "allow remote host" options in forwarded ports. This way when I go to http://192.168.100.1 it would actually hit the local port 80 and tunnel over ssh.

In short you MUST goto http://192.168.100.1 or https://192.168.100.1 or your credentials will NOT work.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@XCPC if I had known that you were trying to SSH into the modem I would have said that you're wasting your time.  If Intel, Hitron and Rogers have done their job, there should not be any SSH access into the modem and the headers on the motherboard should all be inactive.  

Having said that, its always worth testing SSH logins to see if the modem is really locked out from SSH logins. 

Also fwiw, the modem does support two devices when its in Bridge mode.  All of the ports on the modem are active when the modem is in Bridge mode, but, you can only connect two devices to the modem.  Those devices will receive their own IPV4 address and IPV6 prefix.  So, if you were to connect two routers to the modem, each router will run its own independent network.  There is no crossover capability in the modem, so each connected device runs independently from the other.  

If you do connect two devices, the second device might pick up its assigned IPV4 address and IPV6 prefix on its own.  If that device has been previously connected to the modem, that's what I would expect to see.  If the second device doesn't pick up its IPV4 address and IPV6 prefix, leave both devices up and running and reboot/restart the modem.  Pull the power from the modem, wait 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  When the reboot is complete both devices should have their own IPV4 address and IPV6 prefix.

If that still doesn't work, disconnect the first device, leave the second device connected and running and reboot/restart the modem.  That should work.  Check the second device to ensure that it has its IPV4 address and IPV6 prefix.  Then reconnect the first device and reboot/restart the modem.  When that is done, both devices should have their own IPV4 address and IPV6 prefix.

You sholdn't have to do all of that, but, sometimes the CMTS and modem don't want to assign the IPV4 address and IPV6 prefix to the second device right away, so you end up having to connect that device on its own, and then reconnect the first device. 

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation