cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble with my smart plugs and smart Lights

Hello12342
I've been here awhile

Cant login on lgnite wifi,where do you go?used  10.0.01 my password does not work,my google home works,I just don’t know what’s wrong with my smart plugs and lights.

***Added Labels***

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Having trouble with my smart plugs and smart Lights

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Hello12342!

Welcome to the Community!

I use smart lights myself. Incredibly useful and definitely takes the whole smart home up a notch. The most common issue I've faced with connectivity when I was setting them up was that they can only connect to the 2.4Ghz wireless frequency, so given that the Ignite modem (XB6/T) has band steering enabled they might be having difficulties identifying the appropriate frequency.

There's a couple of steps you can take though to assist in the connectivity process but given that you're unable to log into your Gateway though I would recommend contacting support so they can correct this issue.

Alternatively though you can:

• Factory Reset your Ignite Modem - This will require a set up of your WiFi and a re-connection of your STB's.
    • This step can be skipped by contacting support.
  • Connect your smart lights to the 2.4Ghz wireless network
  • Re-enable band steering.
  • Your lights should remain connected.

These steps allow you to connected devices that may not "play well" with band steering, this this is admittedly rare it's possible this might be what you're experiencing.

If you do have any other questions though definitely let us know.

@RogersAndy

Hello12342
I've been here awhile

Sounds great,but how do I login on my gateway,

Good morning @Hello12342!

You can find instructions that will guide you through logging in and changing your WiFi password here: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-change-your-rogers-ignite-modem-wi-fi-passwor...

If you're not able to login using these instructions, please factory reset your modem by pressing in the small button labelled reset on the back and holding it for 10 seconds, then try again to login using the provided instructions.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hello! I recently moved to another place and installed Rogers Ignite Wifi for the first time. I had 2 geeni wifi plugs that worked on my previous connection and just purchased 3 new globe wifi light bulbs, but I was never able to connect any of them to my Ignite Wifi.

I tried disabling 5GHz network, keeping only the 2.4GHz active, trying leaving them both on, changing names so they are different and connecting my phone to the 2.4GHz as I tried set them up, but none of that worked.

The geeni and Globe apps are very similar and offer two pairing options, the "easy" way and the manual way. Easy way has your devices flash quickly and automatically detects them, and the manual way has them flash slowly, and you log into their own wifi hotspot to try a different approach. Again, neither work.

What else can I try?

Thank you!

Lee21
I've been around
Did you figure it out? Because I'm having the same issue. Thanks

Hello, @Lee21

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how convenient it is to have automation devices in your home. If you are having issues connecting them to your Wi-Fi network it could be related to band steering. Many smart plugs/lights are only compatible with the 2.4g band for Wi-Fi.

Can you please confirm what type of modem you are using? Depending on your modem you can disable the band steering by logging into the modem admin settings or by changing the name of the 5G Wi-Fi network. Once the 2.4 and 5G networks have been separated, you should be able to connect your smart devices to the 2.4G Wi-Fi network. Once it has been connected and is working properly you can enable the band steering again by enabling it in your settings and then ensuring that the 5G network name matches the 2.4G network name.

Please note, if you subscribe to the Ignite TV Internet service and are using WiFi Pods you cannot disable band steering.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

This helped fix my CE smart home plugs connection issue!  Thanks

This topic has come up before, but none of the suggested solutions has worked for me. Before getting Rogers Ignite I had no problem with my smart plugs on the previous Rogers system. All the suggestions talked about work-arounds of one sort or another. However, has Rogers ever come forward with a fix of their Ignite Gateway? It would seem to me this is a problem they should fix.

Has anyone come up with a fix not mentioned before?

Tony, Regarding the last sentence, are you saying that the smart plugs will not work with the Rogers WiFi pods?

gaudetda
I've been here awhile

I've just been on with the Shaw/Rogers advisors and they did everyone of the items you suggested.  No luck

gaudetda
I've been here awhile

I'm having exactly the same issues.  After hours of troubleshooting with my Geeni and Globe reps, I'm convinced the issues are on my Wifi/router end.  I've gotten the separation to 2.4 and 5Ghz, temporarily turned off the 5Ghz , and still no luck.  The odd thing with all my smartplugs (i've tried connecting 6 different plugs) the two suggested ways and that the smart plugs turn themselves offafter 10 seconds during the connection process.

gaudetda
I've been here awhile

yes, i'm using Ignite TV.  Does it mean I can no longer use my Geeni or Globe smart plugs??

Greetings @gaudetda!

If we've fully exhausted all of our troubleshooting steps, then my next suggestion would be to contact the smart device manufacturer directly for additional troubleshooting tips.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Have you tried bridging the moden and using your own router, see if you can then connect them?

I have various smart plugs and bulbs from different companies.  All experience the same difficulties with Rogers.  They all say "contact your Internet provider".  It's an obvious problem and cannot understand why there isn't a solid solution.  I attempt to connect via 2.4 and zero luck.  When I go to the cottage, with a different internet company, no problems at all.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 13 in conversation