cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting faster speeds out of my Ignite Modem via network switch

JonnyG
I plan to stick around

Good afternoon everybody, 

I have recently gotten a Rogers Ignite Gen3 modem and currently I am getting roughly 100mb/s download speeds while plugged into a network switch in my house. It is my understanding that in order to get faster speeds I would need to change a setting in the modem to place it into bridge mode so that it can send out the service to its full speed. 

I don't want to do that since my TVs are connected through the ignite pod that I have set up (which is very much needed) in order to watch TV. Is there anyway that I can boost up that speed somewhat or is that the limit on which it can be transferred while not in bridge mode?

Any information that can be provided is very much appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Getting faster speeds out of my Ignite Modem via network switch

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
Sorry, obvious question is what speed are you subscribed to with rogers and what make model of switch are you using? Is it a gigabytes switch? 10/100/1000?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JonnyG wrote:

Good afternoon everybody, 

I have recently gotten a Rogers Ignite Gen3 modem and currently I am getting roughly 100mb/s download speeds while plugged into a network switch in my house. It is my understanding that in order to get faster speeds I would need to change a setting in the modem to place it into bridge mode so that it can send out the service to its full speed. 

No, that's incorrect.  I have a Gen 3 (XB8) gateway and the Ignite 1.5 Gigabit (DOCSIS/Cable) Internet service.  I am not running in Bridge Mode and I am able to attain transfer rates in excess of 1.8 Gb/s over Wi-Fi 6E and 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet.

I don't want to do that since my TVs are connected through the ignite pod that I have set up (which is very much needed) in order to watch TV. Is there anyway that I can boost up that speed somewhat or is that the limit on which it can be transferred while not in bridge mode?

Any information that can be provided is very much appreciated.

If you are only able to attain 100 Mb/s over wired Ethernet, something is wrong. 100 Mb/s is also a very specific speed and I suspect that at some point in the network path between your computer and the gateway, some device is only able to negotiate a 100 Mb/s connection.

The link status indicator lights on devices and network switches will usually illuminate in different colours to indicate the speed of the connection.  You can also check the connection speed of each Ethernet port on your gateway by logging in with a web browser and going to "Gateway > Hardware > LAN Ethernet"

Double-check your Ethernet cables (including those behind the wall, if you have structured cabling in your home) and make sure that they are all certified/tested Cat 5e (or better) cables, that they are correctly terminated and that all four pairs (8 wires) are being used end-to-end.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JonnyG, ok, so a Gen 3 modem as shown on the left hand side of this page?

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/setup-install

1.  Do you have Fibre to the Home?

2.  What internet plan are you on, specifically what are the download / upload data rates that you should be seeing?

3.  How does the modem connect to the switch?  Directly or thru house wiring?

4.  What data rates is the switch and switch ports rated for?  100 Mb/s or 1 Gb/s

5.  Where are you measuring the data rates?  At the modem, at the switch, or at a house ethernet port?

6.  What modem port is connected to the switch, as in modem ports 1 to 4?

7.  What are you measuring the data rate with, a gigabit port equipped pc or laptop, with emphasis on the gigabit ethernet port requirement

It shouldn't matter if the modem is in its default Gateway mode or Bridge mode, the output of the ethernet ports should be the same.  Note that ports 1 to 3 on the Gen 3 modem are 1 Gb/s ports.  Port 4, the lower right hand port is a multi-gig port, rated at 2.5 Gb/s max.  Its marked with a red/orange line beside it.  If you had a pc with a 2.5 Gb/s port, the modem would connect to the pc at a 2.5 Gb/s raw data rate and support data rates up to 2.5 Gb/s minus the overhead.

JonnyG
I plan to stick around

1. I am pretty sure it isn't fiber to the home. I have a coax line that is coming into the house that is connected to the modem. 

2. I am on the Rogers Ignite TV Premier + 500u-unlimited. When I plug in directly into the modem itself via ethernet I am getting around 800 mb/s speeds.

3. Yes, since my house does have coax wired in and leading to the same spot where my network switch is. I was able to pick a more central spot in my house that I can plug in the modem. So the coax and ethernet both lead to and go back to the same spot. 

4. It is a new gigabit ethernet switch so each port should be rated for 1Gb/s as far as I am concerned. 

5. I am plugged into the modem directly via ethernet port on the back running my tests via speedtest.net

6. I have tried using all ports and it is the same result. It doesn't matter which jack I am connected to. 

I am quite confident that we aren't supposed to be seeing speeds higher than 1GB/s with our package but I did try all the ports and they are equaling out to be the same more or less. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JonnyG wrote: I have recently gotten a Rogers Ignite Gen3 modem and currently I am getting roughly 100mb/s download speeds

1. As mentioned by @-G- : it is highly likely that something of yours is limiting the speed. Just because a switch is new, doesn't mean that it is fast. For example, I purchased a dongle for my Macbook Air that allows me to connect via Ethernet and I found out that the dongle was limited to 100 mpbs in the specs.  This is fast enough for what I need to do on the MacBook Air.

2. I see you tried connecting directly to the Gateway via Ethernet from your computer and get the high speed you should have.   Make sure you use the special port on the gateway - the one with the Red/Orange line next to it since it's up to 2.5 Gbps.

3. What is your speed using WiFi?  My Macbook Air can actually run 4X as fast on WiFi than when I use the dongle, if I'm close to the Gateway.

PS. Are you the JonnyG who did HDTV optimizations and was on Digital Home?

@JonnyG just to make sure I understand the physical configuration, it looks like this?

Rogers -> Modem -> ethernet -> Switch -> ethernet -> pc

Inbound      XB8                                             -> house wiring ??

Cable

So, in this configuration, if you right click on the monitor symbol in the lower right hand task bar corner, select "Open Network & Internet Settings".  Select "Properties".  On the popup panel, scroll down and have a look at the Link speed (Receive/Transmit).  It should real 1000/1000 (Mbps).

From what you're indicating, in this configuration, you're seeing 100 Mb/s.  So, that means that there is a cable or port problem on the modem or switch, or the switch isn't rated for gigabit ops.  It might only be rated for 100 Mb/s at all ports.  

If you go to this configuration:

Rogers -> Modem -> ethernet -> pc

Inbound      XB8                          -> house wiring ??

Cable

You indicated that you're getting 800 Mb/s which is ok for a 500 Mb/s plan.  Do the same there, check the Link speed (Receive/Transmit) which again, should show 1000/1000 (Mb/s).  Now, if you happen to have a pc with a multi-gig port on it, and you connect that port to the modem's port 4, you should see 2500/2500 Mb/s.  That's the link speed between the modem and pc, not the data rate that you can expect to see out of the modem, which is also dependent on your internet plan.  

If you leave that properties page up, and switch the connected ethernet cable  between the modem and the switch, you might see that Link speed change.  If you switch from a gigabit port on the modem (ports 1 to 3) to one of the switch ports, and the switch is a gigabit switch, you shouldn't see any change.  If the Link speed drops to 100 Mb/s, then the switch isn't a gigabit switch, or as I indicated earlier, there's a problem with the ethernet cable or with an ethernet port on the modem or switch.  If you see  800 Mb/s thru one of the modem ports, and then run the switch thru the same modem port and only see 100 Mb/s, then there is a cable, port or switch problem.

What's the exact model number of the switch as seen on the product tag on the switch itself?  That should be on the back or bottom of the switch.  

Edit:   when I indicated ethernet in the above configurations, I meant commercially produced ethernet cabling, not house ethernet where the cabling is imbedded in the walls.  That definitely presents possibilities that the connectors at the wallplates are not configured for gigabit operations.  A visual inspection behind the wallplates would confirm that thought.  

JonnyG
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

@JonnyG wrote: I have recently gotten a Rogers Ignite Gen3 modem and currently I am getting roughly 100mb/s download speeds

1. As mentioned by @-G- : it is highly likely that something of yours is limiting the speed. Just because a switch is new, doesn't mean that it is fast. For example, I purchased a dongle for my Macbook Air that allows me to connect via Ethernet and I found out that the dongle was limited to 100 mpbs in the specs.  This is fast enough for what I need to do on the MacBook Air.

2. I see you tried connecting directly to the Gateway via Ethernet from your computer and get the high speed you should have.   Make sure you use the special port on the gateway - the one with the Red/Orange line next to it since it's up to 2.5 Gbps.

3. What is your speed using WiFi?  My Macbook Air can actually run 4X as fast on WiFi than when I use the dongle, if I'm close to the Gateway.

PS. Are you the JonnyG who did HDTV optimizations and was on Digital Home?

1. The box said it was gigabit speeds, the dongle that I tested on is gigabit speeds too. I am trying to see if there is a setting that needs to be toggled to get it up there. I don't understand why it would be since none of the instructions in the manual provided indicated that it would need me to do that, as the box also indicated that "no setup required". 

3. Wifi wise I get around 300mb/s which is more than enough and in the ballpark of what I would expect wifi speeds to be. 

That was probably me but I don't recall what that was about and it was definitely a few years back since it probably was an issue. Whatever it was about had gotten itself straightened out 

JonnyG
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

@JonnyG just to make sure I understand the physical configuration, it looks like this?

Inbound      XB8                                             -> house wiring ??

Cable

So, in this configuration, if you right click on the monitor symbol in the lower right hand task bar corner, select "Open Network & Internet Settings".  Select "Properties".  On the popup panel, scroll down and have a look at the Link speed (Receive/Transmit).  It should real 1000/1000 (Mbps).

From what you're indicating, in this configuration, you're seeing 100 Mb/s.  So, that means that there is a cable or port problem on the modem or switch, or the switch isn't rated for gigabit ops.  It might only be rated for 100 Mb/s at all ports.  

If you go to this configuration:

Rogers -> Modem -> ethernet -> pc

Inbound      XB8                          -> house wiring ??

Cable

You indicated that you're getting 800 Mb/s which is ok for a 500 Mb/s plan.  Do the same there, check the Link speed (Receive/Transmit) which again, should show 1000/1000 (Mb/s).  Now, if you happen to have a pc with a multi-gig port on it, and you connect that port to the modem's port 4, you should see 2500/2500 Mb/s.  That's the link speed between the modem and pc, not the data rate that you can expect to see out of the modem, which is also dependent on your internet plan.  

If you leave that properties page up, and switch the connected ethernet cable  between the modem and the switch, you might see that Link speed change.  If you switch from a gigabit port on the modem (ports 1 to 3) to one of the switch ports, and the switch is a gigabit switch, you shouldn't see any change.  If the Link speed drops to 100 Mb/s, then the switch isn't a gigabit switch, or as I indicated earlier, there's a problem with the ethernet cable or with an ethernet port on the modem or switch.  If you see  800 Mb/s thru one of the modem ports, and then run the switch thru the same modem port and only see 100 Mb/s, then there is a cable, port or switch problem.

What's the exact model number of the switch?  

You are correct that is the layout of the network I have in my house. Also you are right I am seeing 1000/1000mbps on my PC and yet for whatever reason running a speedtest gets me less about 100mbps with a 2.5gb port on my motherboard. If I plug in directly I still see the same information provided. 

Here is the link to the network switch I am using: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1045&item_id=054503

Take note of my last edit from above:  "when I indicated ethernet in the above configurations, I meant commercially produced ethernet cabling, not house ethernet where the cabling is imbedded in the walls.  That definitely presents possibilities that the connectors at the wallplates are not configured for gigabit operations.  A visual inspection behind the wallplates would confirm that thought.  "

So, I'm assuming for now that you're using commercially produced ethernet cabling unless you indicate otherwise.  

Do you happen to have another ethernet port on the motherboard?  If so, run a test with that port. 

Is the 2.5 Gb/s ethernet port on the motherboard an Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V model?  If so, Intel mucked up the intergap spacing between packets for that model, which is the first of a model series.  

There is a Non-Volatile Memory update for that model:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-etherne...

I don't know  if that would fix the issue with the I225-V. That adapter will apparently run ok, when you have two I225-Vs connected to each other, but, if the I225-V is connected to another controller via the ethernet cable, you won't get the data rates that you expect to see.  Thats why I'm wondering if you happen to have another ethernet port on the motherboard that you can use for test purposes. 

Looking around, it looks like Intel also has a problem with the I226-V controllers:

https://www.techpowerup.com/303854/psa-intel-i226-v-2-5gbe-on-raptor-lake-motherboards-has-a-connect...

Here are some other posts regarding the I225-V controller:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/the-ongoing-issues-with-the-intel-i225-v-rev_03-2-5-gbps-nic.17966...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Intel+Network+I225-V+problems&oq=Intel+Network+I225-V+problems&aqs=c...

Edit:  What's the exact model of the motherboard?

JonnyG
I plan to stick around

My apologies, I had missed that before. My house is wired for a network that has the ethernet in the walls. 

The model that I do have only has 1 ethernet port on the motherboard. I don't think it is the computer though since other devices when plugged into the network switch don't run at the faster speeds. (ie my phone, laptop when using an usb c ethernet adapter). 

However, the motherboard in question is a MSI z490-A pro. 

@JonnyG  looking at your motherboard, the MSI z490-A pro has a Realtek® RTL8125B-CG 2.5G LAN Controller, so that takes any discussion of Intel's problems out of the picture.  What you should do is:

1.  Ensure that the controller has the most up to date firmware drivers installed

2.  Drill down into the adapter advanced settings and ensure that the Link Speed / Duplex mode is set to Auto.

3.  While you're looking at the advanced settings, disable the Jumbo Frame setting if one exists. 

Test out a couple of cables with the modem (port 1 to 3) connected directly to the pc.  The intent here is to prove that you have two ethernet cables that are serviceable, which you can use for another modem - switch - pc test.  Use ports 1 to 3 on the modem as they are gigabit ethernet ports. 

When that's done, run the following test:

Inbound      XB8             short                              short

Cable                             cable                             cable

The cables will be the two cables that you've just tested, modem direct to pc

Ensure that you disconnect all ethernet cables from the switch except for the input cable from the modem and the output cable to the pc. 

At this point, with the switch powered up via the wall socket, the switche's power LED should be illuminated and the gigabit LEDs for the occupied ports should be illuminated as well.  Run a speed test to see what you end up with.  I'm wondering if, during the prior testing, that you had other devices connected to the switch and whether or not that had any effect on the switches performance, hence the request to disconnect everything from the switch except the modem and the pc.  The switch is a gigabit switch, so, I'd connect it to ports 1 thru 3 on the modem.  Port 4, the lower right hand port is a multi-gig port, so, there shouldn't be any issue using it with the switch, but, for test purposes, only use ports 1 thru 3 on the modem.  

Ok, so, two possible outcomes.  If the speedtest shows 800 Mb/s, hurrah, success so far.  At this point, I'd connect the other devices to the switch, one at a time.  After you connect each device, run a speedtest with the pc.  I'm looking for the possibility of a problem device dragging the switch down.  The only way to determine that is a slow connection and speedtest cycle.  After one device connect and speedtest, connect the next device, run another speedtest, etc, etc.  Have a look at the front of the switch when you run the speedtest and see if the connected LED for the pc's port switches from 1 Gb/s  (green ??) to 100 Mb/s (yellow ??).  That shouldn't happen.  The connect rate should stay constant.  

If the first speedtest shows 100 Mb/s as you saw before, the switch has a problem and should be returned.  You've pretty well exhausted all test possibilities.  You could try another test or two using random ports on the switch.  If nothing changes, then there's some problem with the switch.

Here's the TP-Link page for the situation what you're experiencing:

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/737/

The bottom line, at the bottom of the page is to contact TP-Link.  Assuming that you're still in the return time window, return the switch to the store and exchange it.  

One last item that you can look at with the pc connected to the switch, bring up a command prompt and run an ipconfig command.  That will show the pc's LAN IP address.  It should be a 10.0.0.xxx address unless you've change the IP range in the modem.  If you haven't changed the modem's IP address range, the pc should be within the 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.254 range.  If the pc has a 192.168.0.xxx address, that indicates that the switch isn't playing nicely with the modem for some reason.  That shouldn't happen with an unmanaged switch, but, if it did, the pc would be outside of the modem's LAN IP range which might explain the poor speedtest results. 

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 in conversation