Data Overage Error - Why did it occur & How to quickly Fix it?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Data Overage Error - Why did it occur & How to quickly Fix it?

I see it is fixed too - thanks for staying on top of that @57

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Since I have now learned more detail on how you are charged for INTERNET services I would like to summarize the confusion I had last month (November). Basically you are charged IN ADVANCE for your next billing cycle.   

I just finished my Nov 19 – Dec 18 Cycle so my current December Bill MONTHLY CHARGE will be for  Dec 19  - Jan 18 – the next cycle and any internet overage charges will be for the previous cycle of Oct 19 – Nov 18.  You won’t see charges on your December Bill for the Nov 19 – Dec 18 cycle.

You will have to wait for your January Bill to see the Nov - Dec overage charges on your bill.

I hope that is now all crystal clear.  😊

Monthly & Overage Charges.jpg

Regarding the 50 GB additional usage charge for $75.50 on my November Bill,  I was told not to worry about it, as it was just another ROGERS glitch.  I was told to RELAX as the overage on my November Bill was 12GB. This was actually my overage for Sep – Oct.  I was telling them about my overage for November which was only 5 GB not 50GB during the Oct – Nov cycle, hence my confusion on what was being charged.  So make sure that you and your Customer Service Representative (CSR) are looking at the same data period if you have an overage complaint. Smiley Frustrated

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14
Thanks for the explanations. I understand it now but ask me to explain it I differ to you. Clear as mud. No wonder we get confused. Maybe a statement on the usage log and terms that says any overage charges will appear on the sill for next billing period.

Thanks for your insights.

Bruce

@BS wrote:
 Clear as mud. No wonder we get confused. 
Bruce

Is it designed to be confusing?

For the INTERNET portion of my bill, I have to remember that my November BILL doesn't have my November MONTHLY charges nor my November USAGE charges. The Monthly charge is for the next month and the Usage charge is for the previous month.  

Summary of my online Overages Data:

Sep 19 – Oct 18 2018  ( This overage data appears  for my November Bill)

Total Usage (GB)

36.54 GB

Usage Allowance

25 GB 

Additional Use

12 GB

Usage

$18.00

Oct 19 – Nov 18  2018 ( This overage data appears for my December Bill)

* The data shown is 10X what is actually was. It was corrected when I received my bill.

Total Usage (GB)

304.44 GB

Usage Allowance

250 GB 

Additional Use

50 GB

Usage

$75.50

Nov 19 – Dec 18 2018 (This overage data will appear for my January Bill)

Total Usage (GB)

30.35 GB

Usage Allowance

25 GB 

Additional Use

5 GB

Usage

$7.50

If anyone reading this is wondering why I go over my Internet Usage Allowance, it is because it is cheaper for me.   I don’t do much video watching, so I only go over my 25GB Allowance by 5 to 10GB per month. I pay a $1.50/GB overage charge. So the $36.99 per month for the 25GB Usage Allowance Plan is cheaper than going to the next 250GB Plan at $77.99 per month.  I would have to consistently use an Additional 27GB before the 250GB plan was cost effective. I did consider an Unlimited Data Plan simply for the higher speeds (60 Mbps) but 5Mbps seems to work fine for the constant Windows, iOS and Application updates on my PC and wireless devices. The $59.99 Unlimited Plan is only guaranteed for 6 months as well, then it jumps to $95.99 thereafter. At that price I could go over my 25GB usage allowance by 39GB!  The devil is in the detail, so make the detail work for you. Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Just to let users know, here is what my daily data usage chart looks like this month when I have to update Windows ver 1803 on my PC, and Windows ver 1809 on my laptop. 

I should have gone to Tim Horton's with my laptop. Smiley Frustrated

Should Rogers provide a free block of data such as 10Gig for companies like MicroSoft, etc. that chew into your data allocation? Or, do I go to Tim Horton's more often with my iphone, iPad and Laptop?  

Windows Update Data usage.jpg

Final point to make here.

I received the January 18 2019 Rogers Bill today and of course I checked my data overages.

REMEMBER the Rogers Bill does not cover the (Dec - Jan) cycle that has just past.

It actually covers the (Nov - Dec) data overage cycle. 

190118 Internet Billing Periods.jpg

If you look ONLINE however, you will see your (Dec - Jan) overages. Don't get fooled like I was.

Cheers!

190118 Data Usage Chart.jpg

If anyone is still following my data management situation, here is another surprise.

I had about 2GB of data left with 1 day to go in my 25 GB monthly allocation. I decided I had enough data to update my Microsoft Win 10 OS on both PC and Laptop. Wow.. it used up 8 GB!  So I am now 6 GB over.  You should make sure you are updating regularly and don't get behind.  This will show up on my APRIL bill for at least $9.00 overage. 

PC & Laptop Updates.jpg 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Topic Stats
  • 47 replies
  • 26 Likes
  • 8 in conversation