Data Overage Error - Why did it occur & How to quickly Fix it?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Data Overage Error - Why did it occur & How to quickly Fix it?

My usage states 30,000 MB / 295 GB, It appears Rogers have recreated their own measuring stick of 100 MB = 1GB instead of 1,000MB = 1GB. Morons, like Rogers make these horrific errors. Ask Rogers to check your usage in MB and in GB. You may find Rogers just moves a decimal point. 

***Added Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Data Overage Error - Why did it occur & How to quickly Fix it?

@eddie : You are correct. I checked mine last month and it was fine. Today it is showing what you stated - the GB are high by a factor of 10.  I will shoot a PM to the community helps people here.

The interesting thing is that I now see "unlimited" as my usage cap instead of what my usage cap should be.  So, as long as they keep everyone on unlimited, it shouldn't matter.  Smiley Wink

I've Been Here Awhile

I just happened to check my usage this weekend, saw 1.3TB and freaked out.

Even though I'm on unlimited, I know better that this could mean I may have a hacked device on my network, including my router (bridged).  I spent the weekend monitoring devices and usage periodically looking for that leak, even swapping routers.

I only looked at the daily numbers this morning, did the math, and realized the webpage is wrong and I really only used a more reasonable 140GB! Smiley LOL  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, it's been a week and this issue still exists.  I did contact the mods here last Monday and will do so again today. The (table) GB numbers are high by a factor of 10, but the MB numbers are fine.

The "landing page" that has the graphics for Internet usage on my browser are fine, however, the tables for Day-to-day and monthly usage are incorrect.  Day-to-day has the correct MB numbers with GB high by a factor of 10. The monthly table only shows GB and it's high by a factor of 10.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I am no longer surprised by errors with Rogers.

I have the 25 Gig Internet plan and I went over by 5 Gig  ( 5 x $1.50 = $7.50) this cycle ending on 18 Nov. 

See image below from my Internet Overview.  I have been watching it and responding to their overage messages, but ....

When I checked my Daily Internet Data it shows that I went over by  50 Gigs for $75.50    What gives?

1st  why does this happen which inevitably wastes my valuable time chasing down the issue,

And 2nd how do you quickly get it fixed?  

181118 Overage Error by Rogers.jpg

Since I will be wasting my time writing to Rogers to report their errors I might as well show everyone what the Current Usage Summary and the Previous Monthly History looks like.  Remember - My Usage Allowance is 25 GB.  

Smiley Frustrated

181118 Errors by Rogers.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers have a problem converting from MB to GB. They are off by a factor of 10 this month.  

This the first I've seen billing issues. Rogers needs to get this fixed.

@57 wrote:

Rogers have a problem converting from MB to GB. They are off by a factor of 10 this month.  

This the first I've seen billing issues. Rogers needs to get this fixed.

I can't believe that this was reported to Rogers a week ago and it has not been fixed.

I know they don't inform clients about outages based on past experinces, but they don't seem to inform clients of anything at any time. 

I just checked yesterday's usage  (19 Nov 2018)  

Total Usage (MB)

676 MB

The next line magically states:

Total Usage (GB)

6.66 GB

But they also say I have a higher allowance than my 25 GB Plan by a factor of 10, so I guess I am fine. Smiley Wink

Usage Allowance

250 GB (25600 MB)

So these calculations are all screwed up.  

Is there no Quality Control at Rogers?? 

There are no Rogers Mods saying anything about it here to the customer.

Follow up:   I called support and they said it is an error in the system.  Not to worry, as I will only be charged for the 5GB overage, not 50GB.  We'll see. 

Something may be happening to fix this Rogers error.

Now I am getting this message when I look up my USAGE.  Still... no acknowledgement that there is a problem.

181119 My Internet Package - We're sorry.jpg

I'm a Senior Advisor

When I just checked now, Tuesday, evening after 8 pm.  Current usage reads 450 GB, 3 days into my monthly allotment, and the overall usage per month read 2100+ GB each month.

As a programmer, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would have been touching the calculators for MB versus GB.  Nothing has changed on those tables in years, so how about someone get in and check the calculators that display the tablular data display. Obviously, it is working from accurate data, just something is messed up in those table displays.

Again, as a programmer, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to fix, unless the programming strategy was just made too complex thereby being hard to fix and prone to error.

But come on, a week in since it was reported and approved and edited for tags on the forum, and the problem is still there.  And not a comment by anyone from Rogers on it either.  Both sloppy and shows a disregard for the front end image to the user.  Just my opinion, buy I have always had high standards for programming.

Bruce

Topic Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 25 Likes
  • 8 in conversation