Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shadoww
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

We kept playing with them and eventually got them working, second package of bulbs was way more difficult than the first ones for some unknown reason 

aaaaaaaaaaaaa13
I've Been Here Awhile

@Donnyjohn20 wrote:
Hello! So I finally figured it out! For anybody else trying with the globe suite bulbs from Costco, if you have Rogers ignite, you must disconnect from the wifi, run a personal hotspot from a phone and connect to it he personal hotspot and it’s the device your using to set up the bulbs. Once you run the search and add the bulb, you must then update the firmware. Once it’s updated, you have to delete the bulb and return to factory settings, once that is done you will be able to connect to your 2.4ghz Rogers ignite wifi with the bulb!

Brilliant.  I'm a computer engineer so these instructions make sense as to why the problem is happening in the first place. I'll write up some steps below for people still struggling:

It looks like this is Globe's issue where they have a batch of bulbs with buggy firmware that does not play nicely with the Ignite Modem/WIFI.  BUT once the bulb is able to upgrade its firmware, then it will connect on the Rogers 2.4Ghz network properly. So, in order to get the firmware upgraded, you need two use two cell phones and have one cellphone connect to the bulb using the second cellphone's wifi hotspot. We will call them cell phone A and B.

1. Install the Globe Suite App on cell phone A.

2. Setup a Mobile Hotspot on cellphone B (connections)

3. Connect cellphone A to the Mobile Hotspot of cellphone B.

4. Load up the Global Suite App on cell phone A.

5. When prompted for the WIFI information in the Global Suite App on cellphone A, enter the mobile hotspot name and password you setup on cellphone B.

6. The bulb should be found now.

7. Follow the on-screen instructions in the Global Suite App on cellphone A to upgrade the firmware on the bulb.

Once the firmware is upgraded, you can then disconnect cellphone A from the mobile hotspot and reconnect it to the Rogers Ignite 2.4GHz network.

1. Disconnect cellphone A from hotspot of cellphone B.

2. Close Global Suite App on cellphone A.

3. Choose and connect to your Rogers 2.4GHz network in your wifi settings on cellphone A.

4. Load the Global Suite App up on cellphone A.

5. If you are prompted to enter the wifi network information again, do it, but this time using your Rogers 2.4Ghz network.

6. You should be able to reconnect to the bulb. If not, remove it and try reconnecting to it manually in the app using you Rogers 2.4Ghz network.

Hope this helps someone.

ElleQue
I've Been Around

@RogersTony  - thank you!! this definitely worked.

Steeler19
I've Been Around

Having trouble with a smart bulb connecting to wifi. We’ve read the post to separate the wifi signal to 5 and 2.4 to connect the bulb on 2.4. The bulb and app never successfully connect after multiple attempts. Any ideas?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Steeler19 have a look at the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Connecting-a-smart-bulb-and-smart-plug-to-the-new-ign...

Also, consider reading thru the thread to see if there's any more info that might be helpful. 

aaaaaaaaaaaaa13
I've Been Here Awhile

I think it's important to understand that there are two types of issues going on as to why people can't connect to the bulb.

ISSUE #1: The bulb can only connect to 2.4GHz WiFi signals. This is where you see people showing you how to separate your WIFI signals, labelling them yourwifi-2.4 and youwifi-5.

ISSUE #2: The firmware on a lot of the bulbs needs to be updated to connect to the 2.4GHz Rogers WiFi signal. So, even if you get your 2.4GHz and 5.GHz separated, if the bulb has the buggy old firmware, it will still fail.  Firmware is software the manufacturer pre-loads on the bulb in the factory; think of it as an operating system like Windows or macOS for your bulb 🙂 Firmware can be updated, just like your computer. The manufacturer's firmware is buggy/bad and doesn't play nice with the Rogers 2.4GHz WiFi. But the manufacturer updated it, so now you have to do some tricks to get it to download from the Internet and update on your bulb. That's why we use another mobile phone's network to get it updated because the bulb can connect to your mobile phone network just fine. See my post here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Connecting-a-smart-bulb-and-smart-plug-to-the-new-ign... on how to fix this. You can use two mobile phones to connect to the bulb and update the firmware. Once it's updated, you'll be able to connect to the Rogers WIFI 2.4Ghz network.

It's really confusing for people who aren't computer experts. I'm sure Costco gets returns left and right, yet they keep pushing these bulbs and haven't pulled them. Regardless, you can get it to work, you just have to follow a lot of instructions and understand there are two separate issues you have to tackle to get it to work.

Franciszek
I've Been Around

I am trying to connect my smart devices through my phone. My smart devices only connect/set up through 2.4 ghz. My phone will only connect to 5ghz wifi when presented between 5ghz or 2.4ghz (already went down this rabbit hole and that's the end result).

How do I split my rogers ignite wifi into two networks, one 2.4ghz, and the other 5ghz

Redmud1
I've Been Around

FriendShip Lamps:

I am trying to connect a Friendship Lamp to my Ignite WIFI without success.  The lamp will only connect to 2.4GHZ wifi.  Can Ignite WIFI accommodate this and how?

RogersLaura

Hello @Franciszek and @Redmud1 ,

I see this is your first time posting here in the community forums! Welcome and we hope you both enjoy your time here! 😊

Have you had an opportunity to sift through this thread? It definitely has a lot of useful tips from other users who've experienced something similar and were able to get the problem resolved. I'd especially like to direct your attention to post #34 and post #46 which have some really great info that may provide the solution you are looking for!

If applicable, please give those steps a try and let us know if they help fix your issue! 👍

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

PeterElliott
I've Been Here Awhile

I was recently given three Wiz smart light bulbs for my birthday.  I am having considerable difficulty setting them up.  Do I need Rogers Smart Home in order to be able to set up these bulbs?  Right now the the WIZconfig_XXXX network is not connecting to the internet.  Is this a problem?  If yes, how do i fix this?  I have two Rogers networks set up right now in order to allow me to easily access the 2.4GH network.