CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

@RogersAndy @Eli_Sand thats not true.  Access to the modem's UI has always been available when the 4582 is in Bridge mode.  Otherwise, you would always have to run a manual factory reset to switch from Bridge mode to Gateway mode.  So, the modem's UI is available when the 4582 is in Bridge mode.  Only difference is that the number of functions that are available are reduced to a minimum, consistent with the function of the modem as a modem only, without firewall, DHCP server, wifi, etc, etc.  

I just logged into my 4582 after 42 days of operation in Bridge mode.  The modem's UI was available and there wasn't any problem logging into the modem using 192.168.100.1  

In the event the the modem doesn't respond to a log in attempt, a modem restart will solve the issue, as in pull the power, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  Only real problem at this point is that a modem restart will cause the signal levels to look normal, at least for a period of time.  So, the only way to determine the signal levels, when you're having problems is to ask tech support to look at them, without any recent modem restart.  

Fwiw .....   

Edit:  Note that the problem of the 4582 not responding to a login attempt is a recent occurrence with the update to version 7.x.   @RogersIan had indicated that this problem should be resolved in version 7.1.1.33, but, from my interactions with the 4582's login in page, I don't believe that this problem has been resolved.  

Also note that the DOCSIS EVENT log at this time is empty.  If I reboot the modem, the DOCSIS EVENT log will display the previous logged events, as it should.  This is yet another problem with version 7.x

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

Sometimes I am unable to ping the modem's IP address too

Eli_Sand
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

I just logged into my 4582 after 42 days of operation in Bridge mode.  The modem's UI was available and there wasn't any problem logging into the modem using 192.168.100.1  

Count yourself lucky! I just tried now and the first attempt the login interface came up right away, however logging in stalled and eventually timed out. I'm now hitting reload a few times and watching various files time out, ultimately causing the UI to not fully load and/or work. It's really hit or miss on my end when ever it's in bridge mode.

You mentioned that someone said this GUI issue should be fixed in 7.1.1.33 (but that you don't believe that to be true). I was able to get logged in finally and see the specs:

Hardware ver 2A

Software ver 7.1.1.33

So yeah, doesn't seem to be resolved - at least with my hardware version. And now my GUI isn't responding at all 😛

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

It's not even just a GUI issue, sometimes the ip address 192.168.100.1 doesn't respond to pings if you don't believe me try to ping it the next time the GUI bugs out, I have had this issue since the first CODA modem I got, did not happen to me on older modems and I am on my fourth or fifth CODA modem swap so its got nothing to do with hardware, its a firmware issue that's been around for years and I am getting fed up this needs to be solved its extremely annoying

For reference my current modem is:

Hardware Version1A
Software Version7.1.1.33
Eli_Sand
I Plan to Stick Around

@stepy2015 wrote:

It's not even just a GUI issue, sometimes the ip address 192.168.100.1 doesn't respond to pings if you don't believe me try to ping it the next time the GUI bugs out

Wow, you're right! I just never got ping replies and figured it was a default firewall rule it had built in to ignore pings.

I just opened ping to ping once a second and was getting constant timeouts. While that was running I was F5'ing the GUI in my browser. Eventually it responded (to redirect me to https) and AT THAT TIME, I got a ping reply.

It seems the ability to reply to ping is directly related to whether the GUI will work or not.

I thought perhaps it could be due to network utilization, however my USG reports about 4mbps throughput while I'm trying this right now, so there's no way that the modem should be too preoccupied routing traffic to serve the GUI.

If i was more electronically inclined, I'd whip out a JTAG connection or something to see if we could peek at what the modem is doing when it's not responding to pings or GUI...

Eli_Sand
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm thinking that it's not that the ping replies work when the GUI works, but that it's the other way around - the GUI works when you get ping replies.

For any techs who care to look in to this:

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
Packets: Sent = 432, Received = 12, Lost = 420 (97% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 4ms

That's running it for about 10 minutes or so. The response time is also slow; pinging the firewall system (which the CODA is directly connected to) is about 1ms. So the CODA is eating 3ms in replying to the pings.

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

Yep I get about the same results, I have also noticed I cannot nmap scan the device when the GUI goes down so I assume the modem just isn't responding to requests of any sort when the GUI dies almost like the modem is not listening or routing anything on 192.168.100.1

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

@Eli_Sand wrote:

If i was more electronically inclined, I'd whip out a JTAG connection or something to see if we could peek at what the modem is doing when it's not responding to pings or GUI...

So I was going to open up another form post about this because I want to know what this is but I did run an nmap scan on my modem to see what was running on it when it was last responding:

I discovered this:

Spoiler
PORT STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open http
443/tcp open https
2601/tcp open zebra

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 97.90 seconds

HTTP and HTTPS are for the GUI however after investigating a bit I found the port 2601/tcp (labelled zebra) is actually a telnet server, I have not actually tried logging in but it does work, however its not helpful as you loose access to it when the modem GUI goes down, but  the fact that pings fail when the GUI and goes down as well as every other service on the modem disappearing leads me to believe that the GUI going down is not related to a GUI bug but rather a networking issue with the modem, like the network adapter on 192.168.100.1 not responding 

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

This is what the telnet interface looks like however I cannot seem to login with my GUI password or the default password "password", I bet they don't want consumers touching it 

Spoiler
Trying 192.168.100.1...
Connected to 192.168.100.1.
Escape character is '^]'.

Hello, this is Quagga (version 0.99.21).
Copyright 1996-2005 Kunihiro Ishiguro, et al.

User Access Verification

Password:

It appears the modem is running Quagga (version 0.99.21) which appears to be very old and have a security flaw:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1853/product_id-20622/version_id-156948/opdo...

Eli_Sand
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, good find - and the flaw is with receiving BGP packets that cause a denial of service.

I wonder if this is exactly the issue - BGP packets travelling along the Rogers network trigger the flaw and DoS the modem's interface.

Is there some way this can be raised as a high priority to Rogers?