cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around

Been running the device in bridge mode for quite some time now and was able to access it just fine at the 192.168.100.1 address to check logs.  LAN is 192.168.1.0/24.  Running pfSense and no changes have been made in months but all of a sudden a few weeks ago, I can no longer access the CODA.  

If I run a persistent ping, it will succeed every 50th time or so.  Also every now and then, I am able to get to the login screen for the CODA but no further.  So it has SOME access, but not enough to login completely.

Any suggestions?  

Thanks!

***Added Labels***

76 REPLIES 76

Re: CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

tyvm
I plan to stick around

I'm not sure that's the case I'm running the same version I was on the previous modem and was pingable until it was swapped.

mascf1
I'm a reliable contributor

I swapped modems multiple times, the issue kept coming back, the latest firmware is the worst and the issue occurred with minutes of rebooting the modem instead of a week with the previous version.  Rogers won’t fix it when they want to move all customers off cable, Ignite doesn’t use the Horton modem.

ipkpjersi
I plan to stick around
I'm not sure hardware is the issue. I was able to ping both my modems (in both my houses) and access the default gateway 24/7 for years, then somewhat recently I was no longer able to ping it at all times and could no longer access the default gateway without having to reboot first.

mascf1

I also had no issue for years on the older firmware, it’s their newer firmware that introduced this problem and they haven’t fixed it.

Running firmware version 7.1.1.37, I don't have any problems logging into 192.168.100.1.  Don't know why others have such a problem with that.  LAN Up Time  is 056 days 06h:07m:30s

If you're running any blockers on your web browsers, check to see if they are potentially responsible for any access problems. 

ipkpjersi
I plan to stick around

It's not a browser issue, since it happens for me with all addons disabled in my browsers plus being unable to ping the default gateway is an entirely different layer of the OSI model than web browsers.

mascf1

I finally gave up and switched to Ignite.   No issue accessing the modem interface in bridge mode on the XB6 modem.  Rogers will never fix the Hitron firmware issue when they want to phase out cable services.

ipkpjersi
I plan to stick around

Hopefully you don't one day run into some firmware issue with the XB6 that Rogers will never fix lol

Sometimes it's kind of like where I'd rather have the problem I know instead of the problem I don't know.

Then again, it's possible the CODA could end up having even more problems eventually anyway.

mascf1
Just saying it’s highly unlikely Rogers has any motivation to fix technology they want to retire.

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

Same here. I was told I'd in fact get FTTH if I signed up to Ignite (didn't :P). Since I'm on Ignite now though I've got the new modem. Works relatively fine with wireless shut off (old Hitron firmware used to still run wifi signals even when you shut wifi off), and also works well in Bridge mode. GUI still accessible days later.

Doesn't seem right to have to "upgrade" to a more expensive package, for a modem they charge the same rental fee for, just to get a modem that works properly.

italstalguy
I'm here a lot

I was once able to get a login page after repeatedly trying or sometimes I could get a ping response but now I get absolutely nothing even right after a reboot.

jn00
I plan to stick around

Same here.  Login in bridge mode had been working for the past few months for me (after upgrade to FW 7.1.1.37) so I thought it was fixed.  Now I can't login even after a reboot.  Something has changed in the last couple of weeks.  Modem, speeds, etc. seem to continue to work without issue.

We are running the Rogers business cable internet service with a device CODA 4582 behind our router, connected with a static WAN IP from Rogers as well. Router's WAN configured static IP, gateway and DNS were supported by Rogers. LAN was assigned a fixed IP 192.168.0.x, which DHCP was disabled cuz we employed another domain DHCP server. Not sure CODA's working mode and guess that should be the bridge mode. However I can not access the CODA via 192.168.100.1. I also tried to ping 192.168.100.1 from the Router or PC with no luck. When connect PC to CODA Lan port directly, just gets IP 169.254.x.x... Like to know is that possible to access Web-UI of CODA in this scenario?  Thanks in advanced.

ipkpjersi
I plan to stick around

I have interesting information, I was tempted to not share my findings but ultimately I must do it for the greater good.

Recently I've been having multiple daily modem disconnects, a subcontractor tech came out and said I had 600 flaps (and my neighbors have 40 indicating there could be an issue in my area) which is a ton (back in 2017 I "only" had 120 which was 10x what my neighbors had). No corrosion in the connectors at the outside demarc or at the tap, the connector heads were last replaced in 2017 and still look pretty new as far as I can tell. We ended up switching out my CODA 4582U with a brand new CODA 4582U - I think it's a new hardware revision, but anyways, that's irrelevant. Ultimately, I found a workaround for the default gateway web UI in bridge mode - I think it might work on all CODA 4582Us not just my new one. If it stops working for me after I receive a firmware update after I've shared this workaround, I think it's fairly safe to assume that something nefarious is going on and Rogers (or their firmware provider if they don't write the firmware themselves) might be intentionally breaking the web UI in bridged mode. Let's hope that doesn't happen and that my workaround lasts indefinitely.

With that said, let's get on to my findings. This is the really interesting and helpful part:

I plugged my work laptop running Linux (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Xfce 4.12 but distro shouldn't matter) into the second port of my modem (port shouldn't really matter) and noticed I received a 192.168.0.x IP via DHCP and I could ping 192.168.0.1 - however I couldn't access the web UI via 192.168.0.1. In the network manager, I went to IPv4 settings and added an additional address: 192.168.1.100 /24 with default gateway 192.168.100.1. After this, I was able to access the web UI like normal by going to 192.168.100.1 in my web browser. I did try just setting a single static IP of 192.168.100.1 without having any 192.168.0.x IP, but I wasn't able to access the web UI - I needed both IPs to access the web UI. I can't really remember how IP addressing works in Windows but something similar should be possible I believe.

It's worth noting you need to be directly connected to the modem, not your router, in order to access the web UI. However, it's still a decent workaround for now. I'm interested in seeing if it works for all of you.

Topic Stats