CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

Worked fine on this modem when I first got it, so it’s odd that it just stopped.
Using pfSense.

Good morning @iPhoneFan!

If you've gone through 6 modems in the last year, then I highly recommend that you reach out to us in private so we can run some tests and determine the best next steps.

The odds of you getting 6 defective modems in a row are quite low so I suspect something else is going on here. Luckily, we're well equipped to diagnose such issues.

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here. Looking forward to hearing from you so we can put this issue to rest.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Any chance that 192.168.100.1 stopped working after a PfSense update or after a rule creation to block a range of IP addresses?  

As a test case, have you tried creating a rule to allow access to 192.168.100.1, thru the router, just to see if that made a difference?  That has come up before, not necessarily with PfSense, but with other routers, to allow access to 192.168.100.1 thru the router.

My usual advice to anyone switching modems, is to run a factory reset on the router to clean out any data that was specific to the previous modem.  That doesn't necessarily apply to something like PfSense, but, who knows.  Is there any chance that PfSense has data cached from previous modems that might cause this, even if its the same modem model? 

Would you happen to have an old router on hand that you're not using anymore?  If so, connect that router to another port on the modem and reboot the modem with both routers already running.  After the modem reboot both routers should have their own separate IP address.  Try accessing the modem thru the other router.  Assuming that works, it implies that there's an issue with the PfSense configuration that is stopping any traffic to or from 192.168.100.1   

I Plan to Stick Around

So just did a full wipe/reset again and reconfigured for bridge mode.  Having same issue, pings make it through every 50-60 times, can get the login screen sometimes but no further.

Connected a laptop directly to the modem and restarted it, got a WAN IP.  Was able to continuously ping the modem. As soon as I tried logging into it though, the pings stopped getting through and once again was stuck at the login screen.  Must be an issue with the modem once again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, in this case there's something odd with the PfSense configuration that the 4582 modem doesn't agree with.  That happened with D-Link routers when the modem was first released.  I haven't seen any other complaints regarding access to the modem thru other routers, so, there's something unique or specific to PfSense.  That would require the engineering staff to have a look at.  There's no point in swapping modems, you're already done enough.  What is required to push this any further is a WAN data capture from the moment that the PfSense router connects to the modem, up until the modem refuses to connect when requested by the router.  That data exchange would probably point out what the issue is. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Ended up exchanging the modem and it worked right off the bat as soon as I put it into bridge mode.  At least it did work, for several days.  Since replacing the modem mid last week, I was able to connect to it at 192.168.100.1 and didn't have any disconnects either - until just now.  All of a sudden I was disconnected from Rogers, and since the modem came back up, I can not login to it (or even get the login page).

7 modems in, 4 techs onsite, and still can't get to the bottom of these issues.  Wow.

I am glad Bell is running fiber to my house because I will be switching.  Since I had to replace my old modem with the 4582 I have had nothing but ongoing issues.