cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding DNS

imonline
I'm here a lot

I just received a new internet router from Rogers.  Their is no name on the router, it's made in Vietnam and settings are through Easy Connect.  I can't seem to find anywhere where I can type in a DNS address.

I have a Raspberry Pi that runs an advertising filter.  To make it work across my network, I need to add it's ip address as a DNS.

Doe anyone know how to do this?

***Added Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Adding DNS

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@imonline  if the modem is a Hitron CGN3xxxx (black) or CODA-4582 modem (white) for gigabit service, log in to the modem and navigate to BASIC .... DNS.  Change the DNS Obtain setting from Auto to Manual, at which point the DNS entry windows should be visible below that setting.  You can then enter the DNS IP addresses that you want to use.  I've never tried to use a local IP address for that entry.  It should work, but I've never done it.  If you have the new Ignite TV service, then you have an Arris or Technicolor XB6.  Don't know anything about those unfortunately.  The XB6 product stickers are found on the bottom of the modem.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for a DNS program on the Pi?  Does that work as the operating system as well, or do you have an operating system running with the DNS program on top of that?  

Thanks Datalink, that was on my old router and it worked great.  My new one is an Ignite.  There router has no name on it so I don't know if it's an Arris or Tech.  I've looked at all the dropdowns and can't find anywhere to type in the DNS or DDNS.   I am logged in as admin.

As for the Raspberry Pi, the OS is DietPi (linux) and the program is Pi Hole.  The way it works is that any traffic coming into the router goes through the Pi first (that why the DNS) before going to my desktop, laptop or phone.  No traffic lag at all.  I filter between 48-50% of ads coming in.

@imonline you should be able to see which XB6 version you have by looking at the underside of the modem.  Flip it over or flip it upside down to see the product sticker on the underside of the modem.  

Maybe @Gdkitty or @-G- can be of assistance.  I didn't see anything in the support help pages, so I don't know if you can change the DNS settings.

That I am aware of.. there isnt a way to set the DNS on the modem itself 😞
(I only set it per device in my household)

This may be a setup, where using a router while in bridged may be necessary.

Thank you!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just some words of caution if you have Ignite TV and decide to use "bridge mode" and your own router: Ignite TV requires that IPv6 be fully functional.  I also don't know whether or not the Xi6 set-top boxes get their name servers configured independently of DHCP, so watch out for breakage with the TV service and the integrated apps.

personnameds
I've been here awhile

Over a year later. Did you get Pi Hole Running? I'm trying to do the same. I was able to change the DNS and it worked for approx. 1 hour and then everything stopped connecting. Pi Hole is running but I am unable to connect to the internet. Retried a few times but unable to connect anymore.

Couldn't install in on the router, couldn't find  any answers to how to do it.  Finally went and changed the preferred DNS on each of my computer/laptop internet cards to my PiHole ip address.  Been working fine since.

personnameds
I've been here awhile
I got it running on the router. I didn’t need to change my individual devices. Login into your router. Under basic setting click DNS. There click on Manual. Enter the static IP address of your raspberry Pi.

I could do that on my other Rogers router but not on the Ignite one.  On the Rogers Ignite router that I have, you can't assign any DNS.

personnameds
I've been here awhile
Ah got it. I’m using the Hitron Coda can’t remember the version. Loving Pi Hole.

Steve6060
I've been here awhile

There is no basic and no way to change the DNS on the Ignite system, at least that I have found.

Steve6060
I've been here awhile

I tried bridge mode and still no success in the DNS issue.

sswilson
I'm a reliable contributor

If you're running in bridge mode then you'd be setting DNS on whatever gateway you've got internal to the ignite router. If you're in bridge mode and you don't have an internal gateway then your internal network is wide open to the world.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation