cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Login to Admin Settings on XB6

Nathair
I've been around

I am attempting to log in to my Arris XB6 via https://10.0.0.1. As instructed I tried Username:"admin" and Password:"password". Incorrect password for admin. I then tried Username:"admin" and the current  WiFi password as Password. Incorrect password for admin. Since all the support docs on resetting the Arris begin with doing exactly what I am doing... I'm stuck.

Is there another way of accessing or resetting the password?

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to Login to Admin Settings on XB6

bvanderlaan
I've been here awhile

SOLVED: So for my case where the web portal always reported incorrect password for admin! even after I did a reset (pushed reset button for 10s) I was able to solve it by actually holding down for 10s 🙂

I counted out 10s then let go last time. I saw the modem reset and sure enough my wifi settings were reset however still no luck on the password. This time I just kept holding it down; I did not release the reset button until I saw the LED on the modem turn orange. After that when i re-connected to the default wifi and opened http://10.0.0.1 I was now treated to a first time setup screen instead of a login screen. I followed the steps (setting my wifi ssid and pass phrase) then after it switched over to my named ssid when I reconnected I got the standard admin portal and this time the default credentials worked as advertised (admin:password) :woohoo:

I think holding the reset for 10s then releasing is a reset but holding the bugger down until the modem cries uncle is a full factory reset and that fixed my issue :+1:

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Do a factory reset on the modem and try it again.

To run an Arris router reset to the original factory settings, locate the same pinhole on the back of your modem. Use the paperclip to press the button inside the hole but hold the button down for a full ten seconds this time. This will run a full factory reset on the modem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

Do a factory reset on the modem and try it again.

@Nathair  According to this article the default credentials that Rogers uses are: Admin and password

If you do need to perform a factory reset, it's not scary but I would advise having a wired connection to the XB6 for the initial setup.  (Remember, the procedure will also reset the Wi-Fi password.)  It's not mandatory but it gives you a safety net if you can't establish a wireless connection for whatever reason.  The default Wi-Fi credentials are written on the label on the bottom of the unit, and you should also be able to connect using WPS... but you don't have to worry about any of this with a wired connection.

You'll also need to input your Wi-Fi network name and password during the setup, so you should make sure that you have your current credentials written down in advance as well.

davej13
I plan to stick around

EDIT: Not sure why my post was moved to this thread, I can log in to the XB6 just fine.

I got Ignite installed a week or two ago and have been really impressed with it.  I used to have to run the Rogers modem in bridge mode up to an access point on the main floor but with the pods it seems to be unnecessary now.  The issue I'm having is that the access point is still active and broadcasting 2 SSIDs (2.4/5GHz) and I cannot log into the router since it had a static IP and the local network changed from 198.... to 10....  I guess my question is do I really need a router there anymore (Archer C9) or would a switch be better?  Note that the access point is in my office so I do have my PC/printer and another couple devices plugged in there.  If not I will likely just power down or factory reset the Archer C9

Secondly, if I do disable to access point am I able to tell certain devices to connect only to the 5GHz band of the Rogers router/pods since there seems to only be a single SSID as both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands were set up by the tech with the same name.

@davej13 as has been pointed out in other posts, the Ignite TV will work with the modem in Bridge mode and a router setup after the modem.  That configuration is not supported by Rogers but it does work.  If you had any problems, you would have to the modem to Gateway mode for troubleshooting purposes with Rogers techs.

One problem with the modem as noted by @-G- is the presence of no name SSIDs transmitted by the modem when the modem is in Bridge mode.  Those cannot be disabled by the end user.  The solution at this time is toswitch to Gateway mode, enable Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) in the modem's wifi controls and set the 5 Ghz channel to some DFS  channel above channel 44 and below channel149.  I'd set the 5 Ghz bandwidth to 20 Mhz to give you a wider choice of individual channels.  If you're near an airport weather radar, which overlaps with the DFS channels, the modem will change channels on its own to another channel.  If the channel is clear and isn't overlapped by an airport weather radar, it should stay on its assigned channel.  Once that is done, kick the modem into Bridge mode.  If the network names and passphrases are different for the router, you would have to reconnect the set top boxes.

Another problem with the modem is that you can't set the DNS IP addresses.  Using your own router will allow you to do that.  The modem does apparently have Safe Search DNS choices built in, so if you happen to need Safe Search settings for kids, you can do that with the modem.  

I'm guessing at this point, but, its possible that the modem doesn't have beamforming enabled for 802.11ac.  Your router probably has this capability which can give you better range and throughput. 

If you want to use the modem in Gateway mode, running the network, and use the router as a switch, simply turn off the router firewall and DHCP server and wifi.  If you want to use the router as a wifi access point, turn off the firewall and DHCP server only.  Set the wifi parameters as required and enable the wifi.  If you were using the modem's wifi, I would personally disable band steering as I prefer to decide which band any given device will be connected to.  That will hopefully prevent any issues where band steering is attempting to control the band that a particular device is running on, while you're connecting to, or already connected to the router, which is located somewhere else in the home.  I would also rename the modem's wifi networks back to their original names after disabling band steering. 

I'm sure that @-G- can add a few more comments and ideas here. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@davej13 wrote:

I got Ignite installed a week or two ago and have been really impressed with it.  I used to have to run the Rogers modem in bridge mode up to an access point on the main floor but with the pods it seems to be unnecessary now.  The issue I'm having is that the access point is still active and broadcasting 2 SSIDs (2.4/5GHz) and I cannot log into the router since it had a static IP and the local network changed from 198.... to 10....  I guess my question is do I really need a router there anymore (Archer C9) or would a switch be better?  Note that the access point is in my office so I do have my PC/printer and another couple devices plugged in there.  If not I will likely just power down or factory reset the Archer C9

If the Rogers XB6 + Pods are working well for you, then great; go with that.  It's a FULLY supported setup from a Rogers perspective and you won't have any problems getting help should you run into any technical difficulties in the future.

If you want to log back into the Archer C9 to reconfigure it, temporarily give your computer a static IP address that's in your previous IP network address range so that your computer and the C9 are back on the same network again from an IP addressing perspective.  However, I think that you will be better off powering down the C9 and replacing it with a $25 8-port Gigabit Ethernet desktop switch, and using that to provide network connectivity for the wired devices in your office.  The C9's Wi-Fi is now redundant and removing the C9 from your network will simplify your home network setup.  (However, I wouldn't give the C9 away.  I'd still keep it around just in case you should need it some day.)

Secondly, if I do disable to access point am I able to tell certain devices to connect only to the 5GHz band of the Rogers router/pods since there seems to only be a single SSID as both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands were set up by the tech with the same name.

Yes, the Pods expect that the XB6 uses a common SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz band and that band steering is enabled.

davej13
I plan to stick around

Thanks, I did have a 5-port gigabit switch and I have powered down the C9 for now. I may consider using it as a dedicated 5GHz link for my Oculus at a later date but for now I just need to migrate any smart devices that have lost their connection.  I also must have jinxed myself saying service had been great, the TV box started really struggling last night but I saw that it was connected to the pod on the top floor while my router is in the basement so I rebooted everything and now it connects to the pod in the same room.

A bit of a follow-up, the Rogers tech also provided me with a switch at the modem in the basement since I have a couple devices wired down there.  Should I avoid chaining the switches and connect both directly to the modem or does it matter?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@davej13  Sure, you can uplink one switch to another switch.

Re: your smart devices, FYI, some W-Fi clients run into problems with band steering when joining a Wi-Fi network for the first time.  The device may want to connect/join on one band but the AP (due to quirky band steering logic) may only allow it to connect (and only accept Auth requests) on the other.  If you should ever run into this problem, temporarily set up your C9 with the same WiFi security settings and establish the initial connection using the C9.  You can then power off the C9 and the client device should then be able to reconnect seamlessly to the main network.

Re: the poor connection issue that you had with you set-top box, yeah, that can happen when you reset your network; the STB may try to reconnect before the Wi-Fi mesh is fully initialized and does not connect to the optimal AP because it is not up and running yet.  If you should ever need to reset the Ignite TV components to clear a weird glitch, reset the XB6 first, make sure its status LED has turned solid white, allow some time for your mesh to establish, then power-cycle the set-top boxes.

Expos25
I've been around

Hi There,

I am unable to reach the login  page for my Arris XB6 via https://10.0.0.1 using chrome an IE on my computer.

It says your internet access is blocked.  I have Norton anti-virus & firewall set up on windows.  

How can I get access to the login page for the modem?

Thanks

John

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Expos25  Welcome to the Rogers Community!

The URL for the XB6's login page is http://10.0.0.1 (not https://)

https://10.0.0.1 may or may not allow you to connect, depending your modem's firmware.  If you are able to connect, you'll likely get a certificate-related error page from your browser (which you should be able to ignore) although your system's security software may, in turn, also block the connection and prevent you from bypassing the warning.

bvanderlaan
I've been here awhile

I just did a factory reset of my modem as I has the same issue with not being able to log in.

I did the same thing at my sisters and for her the default password was __NOT__ "password" but the default wifi pass phrase printed on the button of her modem. For me however this is __NOT__the case. I'm locked out of my modem after trying the passphrase, "password", my old passphrase I'm stuck

bvanderlaan
I've been here awhile

SOLVED: So for my case where the web portal always reported incorrect password for admin! even after I did a reset (pushed reset button for 10s) I was able to solve it by actually holding down for 10s 🙂

I counted out 10s then let go last time. I saw the modem reset and sure enough my wifi settings were reset however still no luck on the password. This time I just kept holding it down; I did not release the reset button until I saw the LED on the modem turn orange. After that when i re-connected to the default wifi and opened http://10.0.0.1 I was now treated to a first time setup screen instead of a login screen. I followed the steps (setting my wifi ssid and pass phrase) then after it switched over to my named ssid when I reconnected I got the standard admin portal and this time the default credentials worked as advertised (admin:password) :woohoo:

I think holding the reset for 10s then releasing is a reset but holding the bugger down until the modem cries uncle is a full factory reset and that fixed my issue :+1:

@bvanderlaan  I'm still not clear what procedure you are using to perform the reset but please try the following:

• With the XB6 modem powered on, using a paper clip, depress the reset button at the rear of the modem and keep it depressed until the white status light turns off.  The modem should then reset.
  • The status LED will flash amber, green, and will then finally flash white.  At this point, the XB6 is ready for Wi-Fi setup.
  • Using a computer with a direct Ethernet connection to a LAN port, connect your web browser to http://10.0.0.1 and perform the first-time Wi-Fi setup.
  • Connect again to http://10.0.0.1 and you should now be at the gateway's admin login screen where you should be able to log in with Username "admin" and Password "password"
  • As soon as you log in, you'll be prompted to change the admin password to something other than the default.

At what point do you see anything different with your setup?

@bvanderlaan  Looks like I was a bit too slow typing in my step-by-step instructions on how to perform the "paper clip" reset.  😀  I'm happy to hear that you were able to get this sorted out!

Techway
I've been around
Thanks first step was just Gateway

Ignite Admin Password

Without resetting the modem is there anyway to know what the install technician would have changed the dthe admin password to on my Ignite modem?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DCarswell wrote:

Without resetting the modem is there anyway to know what the install technician would have changed the dthe admin password to on my Ignite modem?

If the default "admin / password" does not work, the only other password choices that I can think of might be either your WiFi password or your WiFi network name.

aashishjalan
I've been around
what will be the username or where can you find it?

gumshoe99
I plan to stick around

You indicated that the Gateway portal could be accessed by a browser using 10.0.0.1 and that begs the next question:  Is there a default user name and password. That password is the first thing I would change on a normal router. Maybe it was part of the initial setup but I'll be darned if I can remember that having so much trouble being forced to use a 6" screen and a 10x magnifier to set up this device.

Hey @gumshoe99!

In answer to your question the defaults are as follows once you have set up your WiFi :).

Username: cusadmin

Password: your WiFi password

Hope that helps clear up any confusion! Let us know if you have any further questions.

@RogersAndy

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersAndy wrote:

Hey @gumshoe99!

In answer to your question the defaults are as follows once you have set up your WiFi :).

Username: cusadmin

Password: your WiFi password

Hope that helps clear up any confusion! Let us know if you have any further questions.

Is the admin username on the XB6 "cusadmin" or "admin"?

Topic Stats