TV turns on by self in middle of the night

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: TV turns on by self in middle of the night

@dusty_miller0Do a web search for "visio m55-f0 turns on by itself" and you will find that you are not alone. It is either the Rogers STB or the Nvidia Shield or both that are the sending input to the TV, and if the TV was set to that HDMI input before it was turned off it will respond by turning on. There are a few solutions:

1. Before turning the TV off select an unused HDMI input

2. Turn CEC off

3. Change the TV from eco mode to quick start

No need to disable wifi as that is not a contributor, it is all due to the design of the TV.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yes this has been mentioned several times, and one point to make bplayer is the op said it happens when the hdmi cable between the rogers box and tv are disconnected, so this removes rogers from the equation, not sure why disconnecting the rj1 jack has any impact on the tv turning on and off but i would have not bothered with those options and just focused on triage with hdmi devices and then call Visio and stay on the phone until they solved it. it needs to be told that this is something Rogers does NOT support so finding an answer on here is a "nice to have" cus not all communities are this knowledgeable with non-rogers related issues so lets all give a round of applause to community forums

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a quick update. 

Have set TV to quick start and as stated had the phone reset.  CEC has been disabled for awhile

The TV has not turned on the last 2 nights and will start plugging back in on Thursday night.

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

FYI.  Last night I hooked the Nvidia Shield back up and left all else the same as last reported.  HDMI left plugged into rogers box CES disabled and quick start on.  Phone also plugged in

Iplayer what's the difference between ECO and quick start?

So far so good.  Thanks again and I will keep you up to date

Happier...

Fred

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dusty_miller0 wrote:

...what's the difference between ECO and quick start?

Your TV's operating manual will probably tell you that ECO uses a bit less power and it takes the TV longer to start up.  Quick Start probably sends a bit of electricity through the TV's electronics so that they are kept warm for a faster start.  You can test this by plugging your TV into a Watt Meter.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/202-home-fix-up-including-appliances-hvac-power-tools/35430-electri...

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The response from @57 was textbook, and right on. Not sure if you were asking about that setting on your TV or the Ignite box. I have my Ignite box set to ECO and it will take nearly a minute to produce audio/sound. With quick start it is a lot faster. The terminology make be a bit different, and I do not have my TV turned on right now to check.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Same as week ago with everything except the sound bar plugged in.  No other setting changed, and working as expected.  It seems that all of a sudden everything started working the way it should as if a secret switch was turned on.  Would love to know what is/was?   Another week of isolation for the sound bar and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again to ALL who helped

Keep Smilin' .....
Fred

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Special thanks to you for your help. Not sure to this day what it was, but I'm sure I saw quickly when the TV was turned on "Update Complete"????? I'm thinking that Vizio was the problem. I'm happy
Keep Smilin' .....
Fred
Highlighted
I've Been Around

My TV turns on when the box updates. I changed the update time from 2-4 am to 8-10 pm and it still happens. This is another way other than pulling the HDMI cable.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some TVs have a "signal sensor", so that if the HDMI (or sometimes other input) sends a signal to the TV, then the TV will turn on (wake up) by itself.  I'm assuming that when the IgniteTV box updates, or whatever, that the signal becomes active.  (I don't have IgniteTV)

You may wish to check to see if your TV has a menu item that reflects this sort of "wake up" and turn that off. It may also be related to HDMI-CEC settings in the TV. If you don't need HDMI-CEC functionality, then turn the feature off.  See the following FAQ, item 4 on the topic:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-hdmi-comments-issues.71112/#post-611564