Ignite TV Self Installation Options

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite TV Self Installation Options

I am in the same situation where all that needs to be done is the provisioning of my phone number. I am not using our home's phone wiring at all but using a wireless homephone system. The base is installed on the back of the modem and ready to go.

I am not sure why there is a problem with provisioning from the street. No need to come into the home.

Marc

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Just to add that I am not even using our home phone wired system. I am using a wireless phone where the base is plugged into the back of the modem.

I am not sure why provisioning from the street would not be an option. There is no need to access the home.

Marc

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Nope, self-install option for existing customers works fine (this is actually the only option since March 25).

I just switched to Ignite bundle so can share the experience:

1. I ordered Ignite bundle (Internet + TV) over the Live Chat. Agent processed the order with self-install.

2. Purolator delivered equipment 2 days after.
3. I have unplugged my existing Coda-4582 and connected new CGM4141 (Technicolor Docsis 3.1 application gateway).

4. Now when I logged in through my laptop connected to the gateway via ethernet cable I was only given a single option to setup a Wi-Fi network. At this point I pulled instructions from the box and found out that in order to activate the new gateway I need to download an Ignite Wi-Fi Hub app on Google Play or Apple App Store. Did that, logged in and saw a message "Activating gateway". Internet was setup.

5. Setting up TV was even easier. Took out tiny box, connected HDMI cable, powered on and in 2 minutes it worked fine.

Note: I prefer to use ethernet cable, not a fan of wireless. However, numerous posts on this forum mention that Ignite TV is meant to run on wireless connection, so I did not connect prepared ethernet cable and left it on wireless. Still an excellent signal from the basement but if wireless signal wilk ever become an issue I have an access point nearby. Keep in mind that Technicolor 4141 runs warmer than Coda 4582, has much less ventilation and needs to be in a cool place.

6. I did not activate a home phone as I already have one, but you cannot self-install a home phone. A tech needs to come to your house, check your phone cable and provision the home phone service. All this can be done without entering your home.

Another note, Technicolor 4141 seems to run fine. Speedtest shows 585/22 although my upstream channel signal is out of spec.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MarcPareR   The techs don't enter any settings into the XB6 gateway other than the initial settings for Wi-Fi.  Every aspect of the on-site service provisioning is done centrally using tools that are only available to techs.

Keep in mind that the self-install option for Ignite is still a new thing, for everybody.  I also don't think that Rogers even meant to roll out self-install just yet but the COVID-19 situation accelerated their plans.  I think that it would also make sense for Rogers to offer a Home Phone self-install option for simple installations AND a professional installation for a nominal fee.  However, they are not at that stage yet, and the reality is that Rogers has a different service delivery and support model than organizations like https://voip.ms or ISPs that offer a "digital phone" VoIP service.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TeDD13  Do you get your home phone service from Bell or do you use a VoIP provider?  If you are using VoIP, make sure that your ATA does not lose its registration after a few hours.

Highlighted

I have voip.ms through Cisco SPA112. Just had to switch IP address. But what did you mean by ATA losing registration?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TeDD13 wrote:
I have voip.ms through Cisco SPA112. Just had to switch IP address. But what did you mean by ATA losing registration?

With VoIP, you can run into various NAT traversal issues.  The ATA might connect to the voip.ms server just fine when it powers up but if (for example) keep-alive packets stop flowing, you will disconnect from the service unexpectedly after a period of time.  I only mentioned it because the firewall on the XB6 is different from the one on the CODA gateway so you just need to double-check that the registration still works and remains active.  If you are still able to make and receive calls the next day, you're fine.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I wonder if you could tell me if Rogers techies roam these forums and if there would be someone that I could appeal to just activate (provision) the phone number. I have spoken to a couple of customer reps, but not sure if they realize that the only step left in for my phone is to activate it as there is no implication of using any telephone wire in the house.

Marc

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I got a call back from the Office of the President.  The person was very pleasant to deal with but confirmed 3 things: 1) transferring Home Phone from my Digital system to an Ignite system requires a tech in the house; I noted that one of the techs in my original chat said the router could be provisioned from the truck so it's not clear why they would have to come into the house particularly in my situation where there are no wiring or location issues; nevertheless, that is there position; 2) the Home Phone issue is a red herring (my term not hers); she confirmed that even if I cancelled my Home Phone Rogers would still not do a self install for just Internet and TV for existing customers; again, not clear how this would be different from a new install of Internet and TV so I'm assuming it is a resource issue as they do send techs out to drop off equipment and measure the line outside; 3) they are not releasing the new pods or the eero mesh (for digital) for existing users. 

The person was perfectly pleasant to deal with and offered me a further credit but no substantive resolution to my problem of wanting to migrate from an existing Rogers Digital setup to Ignite. 

She suggested calling in to tech support everyone once in a while to see if things have changed as a lot of stuff is in flux right now given the pandemic.  While I'm not happy with the outcome (and I really don't understand distinguishing b/w existing and new customers - particularly if you take the Home Phone out of the equation) I do accept that these are difficult times so maybe they just need some time to sort things out. 

Highlighted

1) Tech needs access to your gateway in order to complete activation of the Home Phone. Yes, provisioning can be done from the truck outside, but after before provisioning tech needs to connect a tool to your master telephone cabke to make sure there is no existing service and after provisioning a Rogers Home phone, a tech needs to plugin the same tool in your gateway to confirm that your Home Phone works.

2) This is simply not true. I am an existing Rogers customer for 16 years. I just self-installed Ignite internet and activated two TV boxes myself. No tech came in. Equipment was delivered by Purolator.