cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Screen Goes Black Intermittently

ultinet1
I've been here awhile

We have 2 tvs and 2 Rogers Ignite boxes.  Both have the same problem.  When watching Ignite Tv suddenly the screen goes black, no sound, for about 6 seconds, then resumes the program. This happens on both tvs.  Checked connections,  Cannot resolve this problem.  Any suggestions?

***Edited Labels***

75 REPLIES 75

Re: Ignite Screen Goes Black Intermittently

macman1
I plan to stick around

Hi

I was wondering if you had  an update on this problem You can see "Twogood" just posted minutes ago he has tried swapping set top boxes but  no change. Now,  ongoing since late October.

I received another text from  Rogers today about a delay in fixing the issue with ignite tv, thanking me for my patience. I have received these since mid November 2023. Really ......now into 4 months, - a quarter of a year - and a reliable solution apparently has not been worked out by the giant Tech firm Rogers.

habsrule999
I plan to stick around

i have had ignite for 2 weeks and have had a couple of black screens. I want to check the firmware rev of my ignite gateway. does anyone know how i can check it?. I looked in the Ignite Home APP but do not see any way to check it??

Hello, Community.

We have been advised that the software version 6.6p10s1, released last week, has the fix built for intermittent black screen. 

To check the firmware version of your Ignite Entertainment Box, you can follow these steps:

1. Press the Rogers button on your remote control.
  2. Navigate to the Settings icon and press OK.
  3. Navigate down to About, and press OK.
  4. The firmware version will be listed as "STB Version" on the screen.

If you have a version lower than 6.6p10s1, please turn off/unplug the power to the modem and all the boxes. 

• Plug in the modem and wait until you have a steady white light. (It may take about 7m)
  • Plug in the box(es)

Let us know if the problems persist. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

habsrule999
I plan to stick around
Hi
Thank you. I have CGM4331COM_6.2p31s1_PROD_sey.
I am not sure that just rebooting will get the fix but I will try it when I get home.
Thank you
Regards
John

habsrule999
I plan to stick around
Hi.
So I rebooted the box and I got the new version. Thanks so much for that info. Hopefully this will br stable
Regards
John

habsrule999
I plan to stick around
Hi.. unfortunately my box just black screened again. However I looked at thev2 set top box and they have the 6.6 version but my gateway shows 6.2 still. How can I get the 6.6 for my gateway??. Rigers said just now that these updates to the gateway are scheduled and I have no control over it. Any ideas?

macman1
I plan to stick around

I assume you followed the instructions to unplug modem and set top boxes then reconnect modem and when light is white reconnect your set top boxes. Not sure as Rogers has said the issue is the update to the set top boxes not the modem. Maybe direct message Rogers Germaine on the forum for assistance. 

I have the new firmware sice about jan 9 but the problem still persists so i guess it didn't fix it!!

macman1
I plan to stick around

One of the Rogers Moderators told me the firmware to fix the issue was released last week. There may  have been earlier releases but the  one  they feel has fixed  the problem was released last week. I received a text yesterday saying the ignite problem has been fixed and my ticket has been closed. If you call tech support, they don't have the info the Moderators here have nor apparently the information.  Left hand not knowing what right hand doing. Did you try unplugging modem, then tv boxes, then plugging in modem until white light comes on then replugging in the set top boxes as the Moderator advised this to push through the latest update. You might send a direct message to a Rogers Moderator- it appears if you address to one, if they are not covering the forum, whoever is responds in jig time. Try Rogers Jermain or Rogers Main

habsrule999
I plan to stick around

so i have an update on my issue of black screen AND internet going out at the same time.

Turns out that 2 other neighbours are having the same issue but a 3rd is not having any issues at all. Very strange. I too recieved a text saying that my problem may be fixed but they DID NOT pinpoint any issue. Thats right it said DO+ID NOT find any issue. Anyway rogers tech came out yesterday and he put an attenuator on the cable coming into the house. The install tech just had put a female-female connector. He also moved my hous to a new port on the green box on my lawn. Yesterday and today so far so good. It really should not be that difficult to get TV and Internet working in 2024. We only have 2 TV. we watch 1 during the day and the other at bedtime so no gaming or high usage..

macman1
I plan to stick around

I am not an expert and there are Moderators on here that are. It sounds to me like you had an issue in addition or maybe exclusive from the firmware issue. I did not have internet disruption with my problem. Just  the dark screen and freezing. Yours sounds like a connectivity issue. I hope it solves your problem. 

I will tell you, when I called tech support when the issue started, they always ran a test from their computer and I was told multiple times 7 homes in my neighbourhood had connectivity issues and low reception- my home was always ok but they kept telling me it could affect it me at any time. I had tickets originated by the phone techs- one I received a text saying no problem could be found. I called back to tech support , got a different person who ran the tests and was told the same thing but he picked up something he felt did not seem right. He put me on hold, and contacted a higher tier for support- he came back on and said the higher tier support ran more tests and said what he was getting was false positives, so an open ticket  from previous call was being closed.

I recently called tech support before getting info   from the Moderators here, who, with filling out a permission form can access details of your account and advise if I received the updates and if they are  the correct version. 

When I asked the phone tech support he said he could not (or would not) do that, he did not have to, he was running tests  too see if the modem and boxes were working properly ( which had been done many times before the fix) and of course they were, as they always had from their tests even though I had the black screen issue. In fact, just recently the phone tech found the same neighbourhood problem that was  found two months ago and cancelled as mentioned above, and he said ,no matter what I tried to explain about this issue and was trying to give him the cancelled ticket number on the neighbourhood connectivity issue, he had an IT background and this had to be looked into and resolved within 48 hours. He did say my house was checking out ok but several were offline altogether. Heard nothing  from neighbours about issues. So, I will see where this goes. He did  not give me the  ticket number. 

I also had a backroom tech call me a couple of times after  the ticket was generated for the black screen issue and I asked him about the discrepancy in the front line techs testing for connectivity results and he explained  their testing is designed for certain limits but does not always reflect the actual situation or something like that. Anyway  long story  short, according to senior people there is no connectivity issue, but with the persistence of the phone techs in saying there is I am confused. 

At any rate they try to relate it as the cause of the black screen and freeze issue even though I try to explain it was recognized as multi province and widespread. So if any moderator can provide comment on this it would be appreciated. 

I have  noticed improvement since the fix. Is  there a connectivity issue - I have not experienced it.

However, like I said in the beginning, you may have had two things at play at the same time. 

Would a Moderator care to comment. 

If you're having an issue with both your Internet and TV at the same time, @habsrule999, then we should absolutely investigate further. It sounds like there may be an issue in the neighbourhood and I'll need to run some tests to find out if that's what is going on.

Please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

No I don't think I said the internet goes out at the same time because I haven't checked that but I don't think it does. Anyhow the boxes seem to be up to date and I'm waiting to see if the problem is still there,keeping fingures crossed and waiting with baited breath!😋

habsrule999
I plan to stick around

hi

you might want to check the internet when the TV starts to act up. The way i found it was i switched to my IPTV and found it was not working either as well as tablets and laptops. All worked again when the TV settled down

just a thought

Hi again  Good idea,it usually is so quick I didn't think to check but if and when it happens again I'll try and check, thanks

adamm2
I've been around

We just got our Ignite TV / phone / internet as a bulk buy for our Townhouse complex in Mississauga Ontario perhaps 2 weeks ago and irritating black screen event happened already a few times. Specially irritating when we streamed a movie through Amazon Prime and had it happened 5 times during hour and a half. Thank you for a fix presented in comments, but I expect to have a last version of software available. Anyway will check it and report back.

macman1
I plan to stick around

Were you streaming through a device like an apple tv, if  so  streaming with black screen seems odd -but I am no expert- as the buffering of the stream would be ahead of what you were watching and an apple tv only uses your wifi connection not the set top boxes.

At any rate check your firmware version as per previous entries by the Moderators and follow their instructions to push it through if not up to date. New boxes are unlikely to have it.

The other thing is have you  noticed internet drops on other devices as one contributor had to have a tech come to his home and make connectivity adjustments even though he had the set top fix.

Just some thoughts- hope it works out for you as I know the frustration of black screen multiple times in short period-you  lose connection- no pun intended as this is not funny by any means- with the flow and content of the show.

Attila_
I plan to stick around

Tonight was a particularly bad night for freezes and black-screen drop-outs in Mississauga. TV was unwatchable. So we tried Netflix through the Ignite box and the same problem continued. The Internet connection, however, was unaffected. So, we watched Netflix through the app in the TV not the Ignite app and that worked fine.

Rogers really needs to get its act together as this seems to be growing pains and not enough infrastructure to handle traffic somewhere. I use the voice remote to skip ads by saying "three minutes". The response time to this commands seems to be getting longer and longer, leading me to the above conclusion.

So, rebooting, changing boxes or anything else the support team tells you to do to solve this is useless, imho. The problem is within the Ignite infrastructure, something I have seen many times during the 20 odd years I have been with Rogers.

macman1
I plan to stick around

I received a message that Rogers pushed a firmware fix for the problem out 2-3 weeks ago. As they do in segments and not all at once, some may have got it later. 

I don't know if you saw an earlier post when the fix came out , by one of the Rogers Moderators indicating if you were  still having problems, check your firmware version on your boxes  and see if you have 6.6p10s1 or higher.

If not, then the instructions were to unplug modem, then all set  top boxes, then plug in modem, when light on it turns white, then plug in your set top boxes and that should push the later version through.

If you have tried this, I would recommend writing a direct message to a Rogers Moderator- one that comes to mind is Rogers Jermain. If that Moderator is not on today, a Moderator will get the message and respond, at least they have with me...and they can ascertain more details and work for a solution.

macman1
I plan to stick around

Just a bit more info on checking firmware version and version(s) to have from Moderator Rogers Moin.

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hello, Community.

We have been advised that the software version 6.6p10s1, released last week, has the fix built for intermittent black screen. 

To check the firmware version of your Ignite Entertainment Box, you can follow these steps:

1. Press the Rogers button on your remote control.
  2. Navigate to the Settings icon and press OK.
  3. Navigate down to About, and press OK.
  4. The firmware version will be listed as "STB Version" on the screen.

If you have a version lower than 6.6p10s1, please turn off/unplug the power to the modem and all the boxes. 

• Plug in the modem and wait until you have a steady white light. (It may take about 7m)
  • Plug in the box(es)

Let us know if the problems persist. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Well my firmware seems to be up to date but the problem still persists although not so often so maybe they are on the right track and the next update might do better!😁

Topic Stats