Accessing Ignite TV on a Smart TV without a Box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Accessing Ignite TV on a Smart TV without a Box

After some experimentation,

I found that the ignite tv app on iPad (iOS 14.3)  

WILL cast to chromecast....

You have to look up the permissions for the ignite tv app, and allow "local network" access.  The cast icon will then appear on the iPad's screen and it works fine.

Make sure that you have the iPad's native screen mirroring OFF, for Chrome cast to work.

Screen mirroring on this Samsung, (without Chromecast)  also works as far as putting up the guide... , but once I tried to run an actual video, I get a 

Error TVAPP-00100

There is some discussion of this error on the Comcast/Xfinity discussions, but I didn't get into it very deeply.

Of course, my TV, although claiming to have its firmware "up to date", shows a "copyright" date of 2014, so I don't know how compatible its "apple air play" is with the more recent IPad's OS.

MommaMirab
I've Been Here Awhile

You tell 'em!

Duncajam
I've Been Around

Try turning on "local network" access on the
Ignite App settings.

cubicle7
I've Been Around

It's can easily be enabled, but Rogers will not so they can charge you for the Ignite Box rental. It's as simple as that. They continue to do things that infuriate and frustrate their customers. Rogers continues to put customer experience last and they wonder why they can't stop the cord cutting.  

gmcfad
I've Been Around

If casting and mirroring to a TV are no longer options I would suggest the workaround of hooking your desktop computer, or laptop to the TV directly using an HDMI cable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gmcfad wrote:  If casting and mirroring to a TV are no longer options...

Not quite sure why you say this. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your comment, but you can cast to a Chromecast- equipped TV as discussed in the following thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/Casting-from-Ignite-TV-app/m-p/464014#M82...

diw4321
I've Been Around

I came here looking for an update on Android TV, or TVOS app development and came across the post a few replies above mentioning Rogers infrastructure and to for us to be patient.  I completely disagree with that. 

Rogers has been moving to an IPTV based system for quite awhile now.  Analog is gone and even the days of using DCT's for QAM digital channels is on it's way out.  That being said, if Rogers already has Android and iOS apps to stream this content (even outside of your local Rogers network).  The only thing stopping this service from being extending to Android TV and TVOS, is Rogers, not their infrastructure. 

Then I saw a service they were showcasing last time I logged in, called "SMARTSTREAM" and it started to make sense.  It appears like they are trying to get everyone moved over to Ignite and have one of these small boxes on each tv to watch Rogers and all your other streaming services.  Unfortunately, there is a cost to these boxes and they are no where near the calibre of something like an Nvidia Shield.  So I'm not sure why they are going down this path, I always thought hardware was not a money maker for them, but maybe I was wrong.