Accessing Ignite TV on a Smart TV without a Box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Accessing Ignite TV on a Smart TV without a Box

I have a new 2020 LG Smart TV.  I can watch Ignite TV via my computer, iPad and iphone (obviously without a box).  I want to be able to watch Ignite on the new TV the same way.  However, it wont let me because I dont have an IOS or Android system as well as the browsers are not installed.

I've tried just about everything I can think of, including trying to airplay, chromecast, mirror my phone to the new TV.

Its great I can watch Netflix, Disney or Prime TV... but I switched to Ignite so I could have access to programming ANYTIME, ANYWHERE.

What is the work-around?!?

Very frustrated!

**Labels Added**

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Accessing Ignite TV on a Smart TV without a Box

@MommaMirab  Welcome to the Community!

Rogers has iOS and Android mobile apps available but these cannot be installed on an Apple TV box or on Android TV, and apparently the Android mobile app does not work when side-loaded onto an Amazon Fire HD tablet either, so we are pretty much stuck and can only view Ignite TV on the platforms that Rogers officially supports.

Rogers has hinted that we may eventually see more viewing options than what is currently available.  Comcast is also beta testing streaming apps on other platforms as well, including Roku devices and some Smart TVs.  However, I don't know if Rogers currently has any definite plans for expanding our viewing options or if they would even able to offer an Ignite version of a Comcast Xfinity beta app.  The best that we can do at this time is keep an eye on what Comcast is doing and hope that Rogers will add those new products to their roadmap.  The good news is that Comcast is developing an app for your TV so a future Ignite TV version is at least a possibility.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MommaMirab  Welcome to the Community!

Rogers has iOS and Android mobile apps available but these cannot be installed on an Apple TV box or on Android TV, and apparently the Android mobile app does not work when side-loaded onto an Amazon Fire HD tablet either, so we are pretty much stuck and can only view Ignite TV on the platforms that Rogers officially supports.

Rogers has hinted that we may eventually see more viewing options than what is currently available.  Comcast is also beta testing streaming apps on other platforms as well, including Roku devices and some Smart TVs.  However, I don't know if Rogers currently has any definite plans for expanding our viewing options or if they would even able to offer an Ignite version of a Comcast Xfinity beta app.  The best that we can do at this time is keep an eye on what Comcast is doing and hope that Rogers will add those new products to their roadmap.  The good news is that Comcast is developing an app for your TV so a future Ignite TV version is at least a possibility.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you so much for your reply.  Its sad that in this day and age everything doesn't sync easier.  I will keep my fingers crossed and pray...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I made a prediction a few years ago that one day in the future, a Cable Company like Rogers or Bell or Telus or Cogeco, one day, will simply be an App on your Smart TV you clic k on, no box required, no extra remote,, etc.

As Cable TV Technology evolves, we are getting one step closer at a time to that goal, and it is starting to look realistic, however we aren't quite there yet.

A lot of newer TV providers that were created in the last decade have newer systems and streaming technology from the get go, however more established companies like Rogers have created their Cable TV network a LONG Time ago, using older technologies such as Analog NTSC broadcasting, and it got really big, so its a huge undertaking to migrate it to the newer modern technologies that the more recent TV providers are using, its also costly and time consuming.

Just because some "Other" TV providers have smart TV apps, everyone wants to know how to watch Rogers TV using simply an app on the TV, yeah everyone is like, well they are doing it why cant rogers, but I just explained why above, but be patient, we will soon get to that point in time, just not yet.