cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Network Settings on Xi6 Set-top Box

hectop
I plan to stick around

I plugged in a set-top box.  It displays an error "There's a problem with the connection", shows additional text then an image that says Network Settings, which seems to be grayed out and an error code of RDK-03087.

I'm trying to connect the set-top box to my D-Link DIR-878 router.

Searching, it says to hold Exit (or Rogers) button for five seconds, hit down arrow twice and key 9434.

I've tried both options and nothing works. The error screen remains on the TV.  I've also rebooted the set-top box and tried the process. (I have an XR15 remote)

I don't know if its related, but I can't pair the remote to the set-top box.

Is the set-top box bad?  Gray light shows on the set-top box

The remote bad? Lights are showing on the remote.

I was able to change the wifi settings other Xi6s before.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Change Network Settings on Xi6 Set-top Box

hectop
I plan to stick around

After a considerable amount of time chatting with Support, it turns out that the box is defective.

It's being swapped for a new one.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hectop I can't answer the RDK-03087 error that you're seeing, but it seems that I've seen that come up in the forum previously. 

The network settings in the Rogers modems might be unavailable for changes, except perhaps for the network name.  That's a continuation of Comcast's policy to basically lock out users from changing wifi settings in their modems.  

Note that in order to run the set top boxes from your router, you need to have IPv6 enabled and running in the router.  

Speaking of your router, its now beyond the D-Link's End of Support date.  The last update appears to be from Sept 2021.  So, its way beyond time to do something about your router as its a security hazard if you haven't loaded OpenWrt on it..  

End of Support Notice

DIR-878- AC1750 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router

January 29, 2024

On March 29th 2024 all revisions of this product model will reach its End of Support (EoS).

After the End of Support date:

: This model will not receive firmware updates, it will not receive device software updates, and it will not receive technical support.

: This model's support information will be archived at https://legacy.us.dlink.com.

: We recommend retiring these products and replace them with products that receive firmware and device software updates.

From what appears to be the last firmware update due to a security issue:

DIR-878 Firmware Hotfix Release Notes

Firmware: 1.30B08 Hotfix

Hardware Revision: Ax

Date: September 13, 2021

3rd Party Report:

China NVD reported commend injection vulnerability

Problems Resolved:

• Command Injection Vulnerability

etc, etc, etc.

So, looking around the D-Link support site, it appears that the last firmware update was in Sept 2021 to address a security concern at that time.  If you haven't already switched to OpenWrt firmware:

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=22.03.6&target=ramips%2Fmt7621&id=dlink_dir-878-a1

then its time to load OpenWrt, or retire the router and buy a new router that is supported by its manufacturer for the foreseeable future.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hectop RDK-03087 gets displayed when your Ignite set-top box loses Wi-Fi connectivity and cannot reconnect to the network.

Normally, when an Ignite STB loses Wi-Fi connectivity, it contacts the Ignite gateway on a special Wi-Fi connection, obtains the Wi-Fi credentials that are configured on the Gateway, and then tries to re-connect to Wi-Fi.  If you have your Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode and are running your home network on your own router, it is important to configure the same Wi-Fi network name and passphrase on your router that you have configured on your Ignite Gateway.  If you do not do this, you may find your Ignite STB constantly dropping off of Wi-Fi.

Yes, it's a pain that when the STB is disconnected from the network and cannot re-establish Wi-Fi connectivity, the magic button sequence that you would use to connect to another Wi-Fi network also does not always work.  You can try connecting your STB to your router's Wi-Fi using WPS.  If you power-cycle the STB, it may also prompt you to manually connect to Wi-Fi when it boots.  However, if you have a mismatch between your Gateway's configured Wi-Fi credentials and your router's, the STB will likely continue to drop off of Wi-Fi on a regular basis.

hectop
I plan to stick around

I was able to access the settings on another Xi6-A I have by holding the Rogers button down for 5 seconds.

I was able to do this with the remote from the box that is acting up.  So there is no issue with the remote.

The remote from the working Xi6 did not work on the Xi6 that I'm having problems with so it's leading me to believe that the issue is the Xi6.

I switched to a Synology RT6000ax and I have the same problem with the box.

Doing some extra testing, I don't believe IPv6 is required.  I turned if off on my router, rebooted it and was still able to view a TV show on the working Xi6.

hectop
I plan to stick around

This isn't losing connection, its trying to establish the connection for the first time. The message just remains the same.  I've tried a remote from another STB and no effect.  The remote from the not working STB works on another one.  So it's leading me to believe its a problem with the box.

The network name and password for the gateway is not the same as on the router.  I have two other Xi6s that have worked fine since I was upgraded to Ignite.

hectop
I plan to stick around

After a considerable amount of time chatting with Support, it turns out that the box is defective.

It's being swapped for a new one.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation