cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPG Inconsistencies

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a 9865 (NB3) running Navigatr firmware and I also utilize AnyPlace Web "Manage PVR", as well as RAPTV on my iPad. The Rogers IPG has never been very good, but most of the time it records most of my scheduled recordings. Since January 2016 (post Navigatr?) the IPG has become increasingly less reliable.  Here's a list of recent issues.

1. Before the change to DST the IPG was "incorrect" by one hour for all the scheduled recordings after the time change, as well as the programmes shown in the guide the following week. This is very confusing for people. It's also unnecessary since SARA firmware doesn't do this (I also have 8300HD PVRs.)

2. After the change to DST, programmes that were recorded on the PVR prior to the time change showed as being recorded at times different from when they were actually recorded.  Not only that, but the "recording time" would be different depending on which way you accessed the information. On the PVR itself it would be off by 1 hour. On AnyPlace it would be off by 5 hours. On RAPTV it would be off by 4 hours.

3. This week the daily recordings don't seem to be scheduling properly.  Only 1-2 days instead of 4-5. (And yes, I am aware that sometimes the guide "catches up" with these sorts of issues, but this week it hasn't and recordings have been missed because of it)

4.  I have a scheduled series recording for "Edwardian Farm" on TVO 2AM Tuesday.  The Navigatr IPG shows the programme as "Wartime Farm" with the description for an Edwardian Farm episode.  On AnyPlace or RAPTV it shows as "Edwardian Farm".  If I hadn't noticed, I would have missed recording it on my PVR due to a totally incorrect title on the 9865 IPG.

5. The PVR/AnyPlace/RAPTV uses "name based recording". The problem is that the names of the programmes are constantly changing.  This means that series recordings are missed even if one letter of the name of the programme changes. This has been going on for roughly 11 years now.  As an example, Mercer Report may become The Mercer Report.   "The Fifth Estate" has been listed about 3-4 different ways during the past 2 months!  Rogers, get your IPG provider to give us consistent programme titles. Or write proper firmware that would circumvent these issues. TiVo knows how to...

6. Many of the programmes have "generic" information in the programme description instead of what's actually airing.  For example instead of stating who the guest is on "Mansbridge One on One" it simply states that "Peter interviews Canadians"  There are similar examples for almost all interview programming and late night programming.  I do understand that this information is not always available, but it usually is and the IPG provider is missing information that's available in many places on the web.

7. Currently on Smithsonian Channel (540).  It shows TBA for the entire week.  This happens often on this and other channels..

8. For the Formula One race this weekend, there were several pre and post-race programmes. When I set these to record they showed properly on the 9865, however, on AnyPlace/RAPTV they showed totally incorrectly - as NCAA basketball or SportsCentre.  How weird is that?

9. The "new" tag that is supposed to indicate new programming is often not correct. It's often missing from new programming or it's shown as new when a programme is a repeat. (and yes I am aware that "new" is relative to that particular channel)

10. The user experience is totally different depending on which device, firmware, software, computer, browser you're using.  We should be able to see the same thing whether we're looking at the IPG or recordings at the PVR, from our computer, with our tablet, etc. However, the experience is totally different with different information showing. For example on the PVR, a programme description may show the year of production, while AnyPlace doesn't show it, or vice versa. Or the programme title/description could be competely different.  It's almost impossible for an average user to comprehend all these differences when someone like me with 14 years of heavy Rogers IPG experience and extensive experience on forums, has difficulty.

The above is but a short list of IPG problems. There are many more that I've recorded over the years, but I thought this would suffice to give Rogers some feedback regarding their IPG, which has become increasingly unreliable.  You're driving away your customers with these sorts of problems, without even mentioning Navigatr. Smiley Wink

*** Edited Labels ***

223 REPLIES 223

Re: IPG Inconsistencies

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I've been watching (recording) Suits. For the last few episodes the IPG has been showing the episodes with an old date. Tonight's episode is dated 2011, yet it's tagged "new", which it is. Very annoying, but at least it's "new" and will record. Time for Rogers to look into their guide schedule source.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I follow the TV series Suits. For the last 3 weeks the Rogers IPG has shown  "new"  episodes with old dates, which were actually new episodes. but the last one turned out to be another show altogether I didn't even recognize.  Please, Rogers, get your IPG source sorted out so it reflects reality.

Danno
I plan to stick around

I know this is an old post but I am having issues with my PVR and IPG (interactive program guide) as well. The problem is on some channels (not all) I cannot set a series to record. I can get those channels to record individual programs but not the entire series. There appears to be no rhyme or reason as to which channels are affected. CTV Comedy and Makeful TV are just two of the channels but there are many more. I did advise Rogers and they informed their tech staff but now I have a ticket with an unresolved issue. Rogers said a house call may be necessary but I am not sure the problem is here especially after reading the long list of issues Rogers has not dealt with even after being advised about them several years ago. Anyways, if you are still around could you please review and reply. Any help would be most appreciated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Danno : Since you appear to also be having other issues. I have the following comments.

1. Make sure that the signal to your home is good.  You can do that using the following link, or have it checked the next time you're talking to Rogers. They can check the signal remotely at your box/home/neighbourhood.  Talk to your neighbours to see if they're having similar issues.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

2. It's possible there is an issue at the Rogers head end for your area.  You'll need to keep on top of them until your various issues are resolved.  I find the "Share a concern" link useful for that purpose:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Danno
I plan to stick around

Thank you 57. I am having trouble executing the process to get the diagnostic screen info up. I have tried the suggested method with no luck. (hold exit down, arrow, etc) Is there another method to do this? I have a Nextbox 4K PVR maybe it is a differerent model...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I'm an avid watcher of Hearbeat on TV Ontario and have it set to record at 9:00 every Friday. Since the seasons and episodes are not always in order and never flagged as "new" because the series is long over, I have it set to record on that channel and time slot.  This evening I was looking forward to another episode when I noticed the record light was not not on after 9:00.  When this has happened before and it was not recording for some reason, I've just gone to the IPG and scheduled a showing later in the evening.  That didn't work this time because all it showed in the IPG was "TVOntario Programming".  Yet, when I tune to TVO the show is on.  But there's no way to set a recording for the next showing at 12:00 midnight. Yes, I had to go to the Zap2it guide to find that out. At least with my SA8300HD I can schedule a manual recording. Let's hope that works.

Danno
I plan to stick around

Just out of curiosity, could you please try to see if you can record a series on CTV Comedy? Lights Out with David Spade, Monday – Thursday 11:35 pm. I cannot get the PVR to respond to the series record command. I get an error message of some type.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Danno wrote:

Thank you 57. I am having trouble executing the process to get the diagnostic screen info up. 

It should work on this model as well.  Try reading the instructions to someone else. When something doesn't work it's often due to muscle memory not doing the right thing at the right time.

Danno
I plan to stick around

Thank you 57. You're right it was my fumbly fingers. Got it now. Funny thing is I think the signal is within range but the helper at Rogers said it wasn't (without elaborating why). I think the issue probably resides with the IPG and some programming glitch. Maybe it will work itself out.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

This isn't a guide inconsistency exactly, but weirdness. This morning I went to set recordings for the Japanese Grand Prix qualifying and race as I usually do 6 days ahead of time. I go to channel 498 in the IPG  (because it's one of those TSN channels) then page ahead to Saturday.  However, with each Day+ button press I get a message on the screen something like "changing date etc." for a few seconds before the next day appears.  First time I've seen that. After that and setting my recordings it doesn't happen again. Really weird. (I should specify this is with the SA8300HD).

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Just a heads up if you have Formula 1 racing scheduled on a TSN channel.

Earlier this week, Monday, I scheduled recordings of the Brazil F1 qualifying and race from the Rogers IPG. Qualifying Saturday on TSN3 and the race Sunday on TSN2. At 12:30 today I went to watch Qualifying in progress from the beginning and all I saw was Sports Centre. FF to present time and still Sports Centre. Then I noticed qualifying didn't actually start until 12:55, so I may have selected Pre-Qualifying instead by mistake. I always extend these recordings by an hour anyway to be safe in case of delays. But just to be sure, I saw Pre-Q and Q on TSN5, so I set a recording for that also.

Then I checked my scheduled recording for Sunday and it was now Tennis on TSN2 and the F1 race was on TSN3, so I changed that.

Never trust Rogers/TSN. Always check your scheduled recordings at the 11th hour in case the programming gets switched.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Formula E's season is starting this weekend with two races in Saudi Arabia on FoxSR (409).  When I went into my PVR's guide, it was very tricky to figure out what was qualifying, race, previews, etc, but I believe I have it figured out for the races Friday and Saturday morning.

When I looked at Anyplace, it was totally useless. It showed 23 listings this week stating nothing but "Formula E Racing". Sometimes there would be a few letters which might give a hint of what's on (for example last year's New York races), but certainly nothing descriptive enough in the search results. If I clicked on the 'i" on one of the search results there was even less information.  How are we expected to know when to watch or record?

I find the following website can be useful for racing events, timing, etc.

http://tvracer.com/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't know why I bother, but for the past couple of weekends (and also for next weekend) Rogers have had incorrect information regarding F1 Practice, Qualifying and the Race, Pre-race, Post-race, etc.  The schedule changes throughout the week and the only way to ensure that these various sessions record properly is to set your recording the day before the programme airs. 

When I look at the TSN website, the information there appears to be correct, so it's an issue with Rogers' IPG.

This is for Digital Cable. Not sure if Ignite is better at getting this right.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/tsn-f1-race-not-recording-on-tivo.292576/#post-3119277

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

I don't know why I bother, but for the past couple of weekends (and also for next weekend) Rogers have had incorrect information regarding F1 Practice, Qualifying and the Race, Pre-race, Post-race, etc.  The schedule changes throughout the week and the only way to ensure that these various sessions record properly is to set your recording the day before the programme airs. 

When I look at the TSN website, the information there appears to be correct, so it's an issue with Rogers' IPG.

This is for Digital Cable. Not sure if Ignite is better at getting this right.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/tsn-f1-race-not-recording-on-tivo.292576/#post-3119277

I left Rogers (digital) cable a week ago, so I don't know what was in the IPG. However, in the past, to set my recordings, I would either use the search function, or go straight to TSN5HD in the IPG for the Saturday and Sunday and set the qualy and race recordings from there. If it wasn't on TSN5 it was on one of the other ones. I would also check the day before to see if TSN hadn't switched it to another channel, which has happened at least a couple of times. With my new service, which is IPTV technology, I just set my recordings from the guide, plus the next show or two, and had no problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

MotoGP is properly listed on NBC on Sunday July 19th at 3:30PM on Anyplace.  The IPG on my 9865 shows Soccer.  Grrrr...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder if F1 is going to be this bad for the remainder of the season.

One day the IPG shows "Practice". Another day it shows "Practice 2" which would then cause the PVR not to record.

One day the IPG shows Qualy on only one channel, Another day it shows it on more channels.

One day it shows.  GP Sunday on TSN5, but GP Sunday with the location on TSN1, 2.  What a mess.

Who knows what other changes there will be between now and airtime.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

I wonder if F1 is going to be this bad for the remainder of the season.

One day the IPG shows "Practice". Another day it shows "Practice 2" which would then cause the PVR not to record.

One day the IPG shows Qualy on only one channel, Another day it shows it on more channels.

One day it shows.  GP Sunday on TSN5, but GP Sunday with the location on TSN1, 2.  What a mess.

Who knows what other changes there will be between now and airtime.

I'm not a racing aficionado, sorry, but I tried to find the programs that you were interested in and typed the program names that I see on Ignite TV IPG verbatim:

Sat, 8:00 AM, TSN5: "Formula 1 Pre Qualifying - Hungarian Grand Prix"

Sat, 8:55 AM, TSN1, TSN4, TSN5: "Formula 1 Racing: Hungarian Grand Prix, Qualifying"

Sun, 8:00 AM, TSN1, TSN4, TSN5: "Formula 1 Grand Prix Sunday - Hungarian Grand Prix"

Sun, 9:05 AM, TSN1, TSN4, TSN5: "Formula 1 Racing: Aramco Hungarian Grand Prix"

Sun, 11:30 AM, TSN1, TSN4, TSN5: "Formula 1 Chequered Flag - Hungarian Grand Prix"

The guide entries are consistent across all TSN channels carrying the program.

The Guide on Ignite TV is way better than the one on Digital TV.  When visiting my parents, I'm often checking the Guide on the Ignite TV app to view program descriptions, actors, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- Thanks for looking.  The interesting thing is that Anyplace shows "Formula 1 Racing" for all the major events.  This means you can set the PVR once for a series recording for the year (or even leave it from previous years) and be able to see all the major events (Practice, Qualy, Race) for the entire year.  I believe it's been like this since inception with Ignite.

Unfortunately, even one letter change in the Digital Cable IPG will cause the item not to record (name-based recording).  They are often changing the names and channels, right up to the last day.  As an F1 fan since the 60's and since I began recording in the 70s with a VCR I'm well aware of the various hoops I must jump through to record what I'm interested in in F1.  It's just too bad that Rogers (and/or their Digital Cable IPG provider) can't get the correct information, when other providers and even their own Anyplace and Ignite can.

Edit - for the past few years I had a workaround that worked for Qualy and the Race. The pre-qualy and pre-race programme names didn't change from week to week and I was able to set series recordings, extended by 3 hours, and then be able to automatically record those pre-events and the main events for the entire year by setting the pre-events to record  Unfortunately, they have started changing the names of the "Pre-events" so that workaround no longer works.   This was especially useful when I was travelling and Anyplace no longer controlled the PVR for the past two years.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57  Yes, with Ignite TV, you can follow/record "Formula 1 Racing" like you can with any other sports team.  The various race events (practice, qualifying and the race itself) are all treated like episodes.  Press the microphone button and say, "Formula 1 Racing", and this will bring you to a home page.  From there, you can either mark it as a Favourite, set a reminder, or record episodes; new episodes only or new and repeat episodes.  The wording of the "episode" /program name may change but the "episodes" will still get recorded, and setting a recording once should record all race events going forward.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I follow Formula 1 racing and usually record Qualifying and the Race. When I was on Rogers Cable my SA8300HD IPG only showed 6 days ahead, so I would set my recordings on the Monday before the race weekend and checked the IPG the day before just in case TSN made any last minute channel changes, which has happened.

I left Rogers Digital Cable 3 weeks ago for IPTV from my ISP, which better suited my needs and budget and so far I've had no trouble setting my cloud recordings.  Until now.

I usually look on TSN5 around 8 a.m. on the Saturday and Sunday for the European events. However, now I see TSN3 and TSN5 showing "To Be Announced" and "Off-Air" going forward and I finally found what appears to be Qualifying at 1:55 a.m. on Saturday and the Race at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday on TSN1. I also found the same using the search function, but was suspicious of the 1:55 a.m. time, because that would be 6:55 a.m. in the UK.  What are you people seeing on Rogers Digital Cable and Ignite TV? Do you also see TSN5 "Off-Air"?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR  On Ignite TV, it looks like the Guide data is complete/up-to-date for the British Grand Prix this weekend.  However, on August 8 & 9, a number of time slots in the schedule still show "To Be Announced".

Topic Stats