cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 3.0 PVR Skips: Recorded Playback Only

testuser1010101
I plan to stick around

Hi all,

I'm just looking to see if anyone else has this issue as I have exchanged my NextBox 3.0 PVR once already and continue to have this same problem on all TVs and cable outlets in my home, so I am assuming it is a software issue with the boxes. It is not an issue with my audio/video system configuration as I am a home theatre expert and to be 100% certain I have tried it on all TVs and separate cable outlets in my home like I mentioned.

Whenever I am watching recorded programming only, I experience occasional freezes/skips in audio and video, but then if I rewind it to rewatch the part that skipped (usually only misses 0.5-1.5 seconds) it plays perfectly. It does not do this during any live programming, only recorded playback. It also seems to be completely random, sometimes happening every few seconds and sometimes only once per hour of recorded playback, but it is not an issue with the recording because like I mentioned I can rewind and watch the part that was skipped and it may or may not skip again. What happens is the picture will freeze for about half a second and then resume a few seconds later, resulting in me having to rewind to see and hear what I missed. It is usually not for long, like I mentioned usually max 2 seconds of skipped time, but during important scenes and conversations you can miss crucial bits and constantly rewinding this "advanced" cable box is irritating.

If anyone has also been experiencing this issue and has any suggestions please let me know as it has gotten quite frustrating now. I was ignoring it at first but after exchanging for a new box and continuing to have the problem it is getting more annoying. Has Rogers acknowledged any software issues with the boxes causing this, and is there a fix coming?

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

Cheers,

Adam

***Edited labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Nextbox 3.0 PVR Skips: Recorded Playback Only

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pretty sure i know what the bug is for this.

Check your video settings on the Nextbox3 itself, in the setting menu.

I am guessing that it is set to 1080p?

This playback issue with recordings, seems to happen when its set to 1080p.
Drop it down to 1080i, and this SHOULD go away.

(There is no content pushed out at higher than 1080i anyways)

Yes I'm sure you're correct as that is the soloution I used.

Also unless you have a very large TV you may find using 720p as good or better than 1080i

Nextbox 3.0 isn't fully compatible with 1080p from what I've heard.

sweetperry69
I've been here awhile

Hello,   I am experiencing the same thing except worse. It happens on live, recorded and on demand TV.   The visit from the technician did not solve anything and was pretty much a time waster for me.   Notwithstanding the technical issue it all goes back to the rent to own program, which I did not want. When the technician came to my home the problem would not replicate because it happens at random but I showed him a program to demonstrate what was happening. He said there is nothing wrong with the signal or cables and changed a couple of splitters. He said the next time a technician comes to the house let them know which channels are a problem but I have already communicated this and the point is moot as it happens on all channels. He thought that he could trace the source. Also, he checked the cable panel in my unit and in the corridor. The technician says he sees this problem everyday.   He was going to bring me a new 4K PVR but was told he is not authorized to do so because I own the box and there is no warranty. A fact that Rogers keeps pointing out to me; adding insult to injury. I have no content as the PVR was wiped but the same problem exists.   I am very upset to say the least and most likely will cancel my service.

@sweetperry69 Send a PM to @CommunityHelps telling them the problems you are experiencing. Maybe they can provide you with some help. To me it seems like a signal issue, but it could also be the box. Have you tried resetting  the box:

Settings -> System -> Troubleshooting

sweetperry69
I've been here awhile

I have done everything possible including what you have suggested (many times) and the system still does not work properly. It freezes and in some cases gives a black screen and reboots the PVR. I still have my original box back when the label was Scientific Atlanta (SA) and that box is still going strong almost 20 years later. I understand Cisco now owns SA but these new boxes are not the same quality. I recommended to a friend to go with Rogers for cable as she did not have any and her boxe failed the second day she got it. Luckily, it is a rental so it was switched out but how embarassing for me, and Rogers. I do not think there is any resolution and I refuse to pay any more money to Rogers or to get the box looked at and/or repaired. So, I will cancel my service.

@sweetperry69:

I realize you've already tried many things, however, here are my comments.

1. It is actually quite rare that the box itself is the source of the problem.  This has been discussed often in this and other forums.   Swapping out a box may temporarily solve a problem due to differences in the boxes, or slight signal changes between the time there was a problem and the time the box was swapped.  I honestly wish technicials would stop swapping boxes as the signal is almost always the source of the problem, not the box.

2. It is often a signal strength issue that is in fact the source of the problem. The issue could be with the signal in your home, or in your neighbourhood.   I realize you've had the signal checked, but you may need to call again and have it checked properly.  I've included a link where you can check the signal yourself below and you can do this whenever you encounter issues:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17719-57-faq-tips-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace

3. Sometimes, these issues are intermittent and those can be the most difficult to solve - they can sometimes be caused by cold weather or winds affecting overhead lines/connections. 

4. Your black screen comment leads me to be pretty sure it's a signal issue, not the box. 

Sorry for your problems, but again, the boxes are rarely the issue.  Older PVRs can have hard drive failures that can cause skipping or playback issues, but not typically black screens.  Differences between boxes can affect how they perform and the 9865 requires the "best" signal to perform properly, while some of the older PVRs or STBs may work fine in the same home.  This is due to the "constant" communication between the 9865 and the Rogers server/head-end.

PS. The SA8300HD was not available from Rogers until mid/late 2004, just over 12 years ago.  I purchased mine on day 1. There was even an SA8000HD available a couple of months before that, but not very many people had those and most were upgraded when the SA8300HD came out.

sweetperry69
I've been here awhile

Thank you for your guidance. I will listen and try the solution you have provided with testing the signal properly. 

You are correct. Sometimes it is intermittent and other times it happens every day with varying severity. I appreciate all the information.

Cheers

I should mention that I have two TV's and cable is split from the same splitter. There is no issue with the other TV/Box. Plays beautifully. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@sweetperry69  The SA boxes were solid - I had one for years, got convinced to swap it out for the new Nextbox - have replaced three of those, now own it and hoping it keeps running. 

Cisco bought SA, and Cisco has now sold their setbox business to a company in Europe called Technicolor.  If you are a new customer or old one getting a replacement or "new" box from Rogers, it will be refurbished Nextbox 3's, and in some areas, it is 2's. Grey County is all 2's.  Guess our old ones all went up there.

Nextbox 4 may be a new box though.

Just some trivia on the changing ownership of the boxes.  Cisco has gone back to their roots - industrial level switches and routers - you know those ads on TV showing people on the Internet - connected by Cisco.

Good luck with your boxes, and I keep my fingers crossed on mine.  And @57 is so right - so often it is signal strength. In the beginning, I didn't buy it, but after 2 years +, almost always signal - when they have said send it back, I have said, I will wait.  It is always the quick answer when signals look good when you call.

Bruce

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@sweetperry69 wrote:

I should mention that I have two TV's and cable is split from the same splitter. There is no issue with the other TV/Box. Plays beautifully. 

Just so we understand, do you have two Nextbox 3.0 PVRs with 2 TVs and one works fine but the other one does this intermittent skipping and stuff? Of not, which exact boxes do you have? Have you tried swapping the 2 boxes to rarrow it down if it's the box or cable?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Sound cut-off or disappears after fast forwarding...

Hi everyone.

I have a Nextbox 3.0 receiver that we have been using for a while without issues, however... Over the past few weeks we have encountered an issue where the sound will either cut-off or disappear after fast forwarding a recorder show. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does cut-out completely, the only resolution is to turn off the PVR and resume watching your recorded show.

Has anyone with a similar Nextbox 3.0 receiver experience this issue? Any thoughts from the community on how to resolve this issue?

Cheers!

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Looks like my post got moved here...

I just wanted to add that I have 2 other Nextbox 2.0 receivers (non-PVR) linked via whole home and I don't have this issue when fast-forwarding while viewing recorded shows.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Radar2000 : I assume you're using an HDMI connection. Try unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable a couple of times and perhaps swap ends so that the end at the TV is now at the box.  You may have a handshake issue of some sort, or just a slightly poor connection due to oxidation. Try a different HDMI cable.  How long is your HDMI cable and what gauge is it?  If possible, try connecting analogue audio cables to some audio input to see if the audio is there for that source (red/white cables).

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 in conversation