cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discounts expiring

kells79
I plan to stick around

My package expires July 1st.  I decided to call Rogers to see what my options were.  I asked the service rep, I’m looking for in and around the same channels I have for around the same price.  It took me countless phone calls throughout the years and many, many charging issues to deal with at Rogers to get the rate I am at now.  To my surprise the best I was offered is over $40 more than what I pay right now with absolutely no better service to me? 

So, let me get this straight.  I pay for years, every month in credit.  I spent the better part of the first year with rogers on the phone with them to fix up their charging mistakes.  But now years later my contract is up so screw your well-paying, patience customer you now get charged more!  Wow is all I can say.  I would think it would be the opposite and your customers who are long standing and never miss a payment would benefit from that.  It’s no wonder more and more people are leaving the big communication giants for the little guys.  There is no more customer retention or service anymore.   Happy I'm looking into this well before my expiry date so I have enough time to shop around. 

***EDITED LABELS*** 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Discounts expiring

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I am not saying its the fault of Rogers or other cable tv providers but I have noticed consumers attitudes have changed over the last few decades with what their expectations are of a cable TV package, but yes I also noticed the price of Cable TV services has changed over the last 3 decades as well. I am really glad I have been born during this time so I not only see how people act now but I had the luxury to see how people acted in the past with their television bills.

Back in the day, my parents called up Rogers (back then it was known as Maclean Hunter Cable before it was aquired by Rogers cable)

Rogers (or Maclean Hunter as it was known as back then) would tell them, this is your monthly price, this is your cable package, and this is how many channels you get and that was it, no one called in every month or every two years to negotiate a good rate, they all paid their cable bills regularily, yeah the bills did go up from time to time but they were happy with the "standard advertised price" for the cable package, and when they did get a promotion and it expired, they left it as is and paid the regular price, why? because that is what consumers did back in the day and they had no internet nor online forums to complain to, and customer services was not open in the evening nor weekends, life was pretty simple back then yea it has changed significantly, not sure for the better or worse but I miss the good ol days of one price and paying it and moving on in life. don't you?

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49

1945mdh
I plan to stick around

I'm in the same boat - expiring on June 23.

I tried calling a couple of weeks ago and was told it was too soon  to ask about renewal.

I expect no better experience than what you just described, despite 35+ years with Rogers.

kells79
I plan to stick around

It is sad to say the least.  I assume if I close my account and open a new one I would be offered better deals but what is the point if they don't value their existing customers.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a few comments that may be helpful.

1. Rogers is a corporation and the mandate of that corporation is to maximize profits and return for their shareholders.

2. This means they will try to maximize the amount they obtain from their customers.  The customers have several options available to them.

A. You can pay "full" price, which is not acceptable for many people.

B. You can negotiate a new "contract" every year or two for the next year or two (depending).  Depending on the number of services you have and what you pay, you can usually negotiate a discount if you're willing to stay for 1-2 years.  Your negotiating skills and who you talk to play into your "discount".

C. If you're willing to leave Rogers, you can call retentions and tell them that.  Retentions will usually then offer you an incentive to stay.

D. You may leave for another provider who may, or may not have everything you want and may or may not have better (long term) pricing.

E. Most providers have "loss leader" pricing, so when you start with a new provider, you usually get a pretty good deal.  After a while this "loss leader" expires and you're expected to pay a much higher price, again depending - see note 2 above.

F.  I believe there is a certain amount of time (3-6  months) before you can come back to Rogers and qualify for "loss leader" pricing.

G. You can cut the cord, but most people still need internet and often require "more" internet, which may or may not save $ depending on internet costs and costs for what you stream.

H. Long term customers (I never use the term loyal - I've also been with Rogers for decades) should realize this and be realistic, but knowledgeable about what you can negotiate.

1945mdh
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the summary 57.

There are a few other points that may or may not apply to somebody's situation.

1. Sometimes it's better "the devil you know" - or don't trade your headache for an upset stomach.

2. Bell is being very aggressive right now - at least in our area. Fleets of big blue and white trucks pulling fibre all over the place. They are offering some pretty good deals - even if Fibe is more of a marketing term than tech specification. They promise the moon but are pretty slippery when you call them on their blatant lies.

3. All that being said - as under your point E - the bargains are usually short lived. Bell will not offer a "fixed Price" for the term - only a "guaranteed discount". Nothing stops them from jacking up their intro price at any time - and giving you the same discount on a now-higher price.

4. Rogers is now doing this as well. My total cost has not changed over the past two years, despite interim increases to their base price. This is no more. Whatever the new deal I get might be - I can expect the price to increase at least twice a year.

Just keeping my fingers crossed for a good result when next I call. I don't want to switch to Bell (see #1 above) but I will in a heartbeat if I don't get a good response from Rogers.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the biggest problem is also reflected in the mislabeled title of this post: "Package Expiring" The package is NOT expiring, the customer will keep the same package, the same channels, the same receivers, etc.  What's expiring is the "PROMOTIONS" are expiring. I think society has also become a bit "numb" to the term "Promotion" and forget the meaning of it. Promotion means "limited time offer or discount"   When you go to Loblaws and see your favourite orange juice for $2.00 its on sale, the sale is a promotion, you buy a few, but next month you go there and the Orange juice is back to its regular price of $4.00. People seem to forget promotions are designed to expire, but they are also designed to get people hooked onto a product and if people are happy with it they will continue to pay for it even when the promotions / discounts expire. 

But I'm not here to defend rogers I am just here to state something important about the meaning of Promotion that everyone else forgot to mention.

By the way, try your best to get the best deal if it does not work out, oh well, you tried, there are other companies out there who are looking for business. 

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@Paulywrote:

But I'm not here to defend rogers I am just here to state something important about the meaning of Promotion that everyone else forgot to mention.

Actually 57 did cover that point , he just didn't make it sound so sanctimonious and    Rogers friendly .  Smiley Wink

The aspect of promotion that you seem to have ignored  regarding  the OP's apparent situation seems to be that it sounds like it was a negotiated term   pricing  and not a  limited time offer so when the package expires  his beneficial pricing expires as well . 

I'd say go shopping if you feel Rogers is overpriced for your needs...  I did  ... and I have no reason to return until they become competitively priced for the services I am looking for . 

barndoor

I just wanted to add that to me competitive is a long term issue .... I 'm not  changing supermarkets just  because they have OJ on sale but I will appreciate the bargain if they need to move extra product to reduce inventory  and I'm not moving that account back to Rogers for some promo pricing for three months  or a year .It will take a complete attitude change by Rogers and competitive long term pricing  .... 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I am not saying its the fault of Rogers or other cable tv providers but I have noticed consumers attitudes have changed over the last few decades with what their expectations are of a cable TV package, but yes I also noticed the price of Cable TV services has changed over the last 3 decades as well. I am really glad I have been born during this time so I not only see how people act now but I had the luxury to see how people acted in the past with their television bills.

Back in the day, my parents called up Rogers (back then it was known as Maclean Hunter Cable before it was aquired by Rogers cable)

Rogers (or Maclean Hunter as it was known as back then) would tell them, this is your monthly price, this is your cable package, and this is how many channels you get and that was it, no one called in every month or every two years to negotiate a good rate, they all paid their cable bills regularily, yeah the bills did go up from time to time but they were happy with the "standard advertised price" for the cable package, and when they did get a promotion and it expired, they left it as is and paid the regular price, why? because that is what consumers did back in the day and they had no internet nor online forums to complain to, and customer services was not open in the evening nor weekends, life was pretty simple back then yea it has changed significantly, not sure for the better or worse but I miss the good ol days of one price and paying it and moving on in life. don't you?

Lash
I plan to stick around

No, no one misses the "good ol [sic] days" you wax poetic about.

I worked for Maclean Hunter in the day and the cable monopoly was an absolute cash cow (I remember my annual bonuses).  There was no alternative for TV entertainment except for local antenna but the rates they charged were based on what the market would bear and earlier generations would not accept higher rates because entertainment was a smaller part of their lives. It's just that we've gone from complacent monopoly to a predatory, deliberately-confusing, bait-and-switch marketplace. Published prices are stupidly high, by any measure, because they know a large share of consumers are going to aggressively push for discounts, and with crowd psychology that makes anyone who blithely accepts published rates a rube.

They can dole out discounts (which expire) either loosely or parsimoniously based on what they think the market can bear that day and on what direction they're getting from corporate. Their key metric is ARPU. Based on extensive statistical analysis they can predict how much to give up short-term (promotions) to move you on to a higher average revenue. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Lash wrote:

It's just that we've gone from complacent monopoly to a predatory, deliberately-confusing, bait-and-switch marketplace. Published prices are stupidly high, by any measure, because they know a large share of consumers are going to aggressively push for discounts, and with crowd psychology that makes anyone who blithely accepts published rates a rube.

They can dole out discounts (which expire) either loosely or parsimoniously based on what they think the market can bear that day and on what direction they're getting from corporate. Their key metric is ARPU. Based on extensive statistical analysis they can predict how much to give up short-term (promotions) to move you on to a higher average revenue. 

Most certainly. Back in the "good ol' days" when cable first came to my subdivision it was Shaw and cost $8 a month. Then Shaw and Rogers switched territories, why compete.  The mess started with bundles combining cable, Internet, "home phone" and wireless with discounts for each component, so it became virtually impossible to shop around and switch providers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

barndoor

@Lashwrote:

No, no one misses the "good ol [sic] days" you wax poetic about.  ........

It's just that we've gone from complacent monopoly to a predatory, deliberately-confusing, bait-and-switch marketplace. Published prices are stupidly high, by any measure, because they know a large share of consumers are going to aggressively push for discounts, and with crowd psychology that makes anyone who blithely accepts published rates a rube.

I miss them   ...so call me a rube .  Smiley Wink

That was why I took one account  to a different company ....the new company started at the lower price and no games ...less issues and time spent on my part negotiating  . 

I would expect that back then would have been a whole lot better time to be in customer service as well ... the price was the price so that was it .  If you open  the pricing up to negotiation like now there will be more stress and more aggressive customers as they try to get the best deal.  Not to mention ... with all this negotiation going on how do you not need way more staff ? 

There is also the chaos caused to the website  for regular customers .....how many times have we seen  in the last couple months that the system here has been  overwhelmed due to "customer response "  to supposed deals.  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I miss them   ...so call me a rube .  Smiley Wink

That was why I took one account  to a different company ....the new company started at the lower price and no games ...less issues and time spent on my part negotiating  . 

I would expect that back then would have been a whole lot better time to be in customer service as well ... the price was the price so that was it .  If you open  the pricing up to negotiation like now there will be more stress and more aggressive customers as they try to get the best deal.  Not to mention ... with all this negotiation going on how do you not need way more staff ? 

There is also the chaos caused to the website  for regular customers .....how many times have we seen  in the last couple months that the system here has been  overwhelmed due to "customer response "  to supposed deals.   

I agree 100% with you, yes even tho the previous poster disagreed with me that no one misses the good old days, its been proven that that was a lie and people do infact miss the good old days, things were very simple as you pointed out, billing was on point, you are told this price, you pay it and are done, simple as that, not like todays billing plans with oh you pay this price for this many days then the price goes to this price, then there is an increase on this day, etc, but if you call back you get this discount applied which lasts untill this day.

See how confusing thtat can be? what ever happened to pay one price and move on? this is what the competition is doing and a lot of people are opening their eyes to it, but also back then Rogers WAS the only cable provider (or it was Antenna with bad reception in some cases), but now we have lots of competition so people are FREE to move to a different company with attractive pricing

funnybunny
I plan to stick around

I am in the same situation.Been with Rogers for a few years(almost 6) with 3 services.Promo for a bundle will be gone in a couple months.

What is frustrating is that i'm checking the prices and all the bundle offers are for NEW customers...get a tablet with that while i need to beg and cry,calling a few times just to have close to the same price which is 30$ more/month.

Give me the same thing as a valued customer and i'll be happy...Don't make me beg for the same price as the New customer that might ditch you in 3 months?!

I know it's all about the $$ but why make the "valued" not so valued loyal customer beg for the same price...never mind having a 300$ welcome gift?

We are caught because there's not enough competition.Have you gone to the grocery store and because you've been shopping there for 3 years the price goes up 35% while the new one gets it cheaper on top of having a free loaf of bread with it?

If you don't want to insult your old clients have the exact same prices without having to beg for it.

1 price fixed for all.If the client wants to stay for 3 years have a special on it at a fix price and the loyal good customer should always get a better price than a new one not the other way around...Thanks!

barndoor

@funnybunnywrote:

We are caught because there's not enough competition.

I keep hearing that ....but I think it is very site  and  "needs" specific . Our family started out  with four Rogers  customers  ... there is only one phone of the four left with Rogers  because other  providers had better price points for  their needs . Ironically two of the providers use the Rogers system  ....just not the Rogers pricing  schedule . Smiley Wink

jays77
It's not just price that that deferrers between new and long time customers.
We have been with Rogers since the mid '80's and never asked for or was offered any discounts until last year when we upgraded to Ignite 30...125 Gb. We received a bit of a discount then. A year later the discount is finished and we now pay full price. However, I notice that Rogers advertised Ignite 30 as providing 250 Gb. at a just few dollars less than what we are paying. It would have been a nice touch if they had at least given us the new/extra bandwidth when the discount ended,

funnybunny
I plan to stick around

Yes..the lack of competition is flagrant  not site and service specific..if were talking about home phone,internet and cable tv which is what I need and were not talking about a dish or an antenna to give us a whole lot of 10mbps.

For your comment JAY77,I absolutely agree which adds to my frustration..First we are on a Rogers site..nobody comes here to help or answer questions to keep our business but it's runned by community members while I understand the concept because it helps for plugging in a modem or a specific problem I think it can be used to accommodate the client.

Have you been called by Rogers by a member of the team to keep your business? Nope.

They stay quiet,your bundle ends and the price skyrockets just like intended,while we know it's not suppose to be this way if they cared.

The last customer service quoted me a price over 30$ more for my 3 services and I asked why they would offer a better price for a package plus a tablet..he told me,it was because the new packages have the classic bundle for tv and internet is limited???

So they compare apple and oranges to tell me my quote which is a lot higher than that with what I have cost more..i go on the NB promo page for bundles and voila...for

a new customer would have today...

-500 ignite download which is 430 more than my 70

-165 channels which is 35 more than what I have

-a free Samsung tablet

-a free rental PVR and another HD box which I bought my hd and 1 PVR from Rogers so I am only using 1 PVR for my rental for the duration of my 3 years ending soon.

You see how the double talk is insulting...my brother in law might take it because he's with the other company while he doesn't qualify for a special with his company I would.

Why all the games..

Why needing to play as we are stupid and can't see what somebody that has 0 months with Rogers and me with 6 years?

New customer will have 35 more channels,7x the internet speed,a free Samsung tablet,a free PVR and HD box which is more than me?

I don't get it!

You also have to remember, things were much simple back then, you had cable and most TV's were CATV Ready you would just plug it in and go. In today's day and age, you would need to Rent or purchase a STB or STB PVR device for every tv set you want cable connected to. This adds to your monthly costs. Yes that is also one of the reasons promos were advertised, to make the prices look more attractive.

funnybunny
I plan to stick around

I understand the tech is advanced and the price needs to reflect it...problem is jane doe pays xxx while john doe pays xxxx and tommy boy pays xxxxx for the exact same product and services from the exact same company and the NEW guy pays x on a promo deal.

I get it,it's a business but for me I would like my parents to have the exact same price as me not because they're special but because they can't fight to have what they deserve so they'll pay over 1k year more/year for what we have if I didn't negociate.

A promo price and a loyalty price should be EQUAL....tom, . and harry should have the same price for the same product.We have 2 contracts ending within the next few months and whatever I have my parents will have the same a few months after.

I just think Rogers needs to have promo's for LOYAL customers also..which is non existent.

PS Would love the retention # for loyal customers if possible in a private message..

I know I sound frustrated and I am.I don't feel appreciated and every 2-3 years I need to start this negociation thing without a specific help line.I need help and it will be for 2 accounts for at least 2 years but would prefer 3 years locked in..Why is it so difficult to just have this process be a lot more customer friendly?

Thanks!

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I think this thread has resulted in a mixed discussion of two issues - some of us discuss a desire for the good old days or being offered the same offers to new customers and existing customers - in fact there were no differences. If you came in new, you got the current price and the old customers saw the same prices and options too.  Occassionally, a "loyalty offer or long term customer options was offered.

The extent of offers to new customers were often, I got two wifi's free with my three year plan and in general, the price of phones wee so subsidized I viewed it as them needing to cell the phone to us to use the service.

Brief offers were given like 1 month data, and we all understood it was a way to have us try it and see if we wanted to keep it.  That I am ok with too.

But the base rate of the plans remained the same for all.

Then competition began to come in that did not exist before - Bell could not compete on TV except for Satellite and they were two very strictly different products and you either wanted one or the other, and no price or offer usually got people to fix.

Rogers when they started buying out companies, needed cash flow and when they moved into certain areas, they offered to take back the satellite equipment and offer a deal to make the switch, but again, the prices were usually very much the same - they discounted install charges or equipment charges, the plans remained the same.

Then Rogers added in Phone plans and bundle offering - buy all 3 services, you got 12% discount, and now that is gone too.  But again, in general, the rates were the same, new or old, just better if you bundled as Rogers began to compete on phone, TV and Internet was coming into play.

But most people I know were uninfluenced and went with what they knew - it wasn't worth it to change.

Then Bell brought in IPTV in the east and proved it, and now Rogers was under the gun once Bell started to move west and they fortunately only needed ADSL to do it - they weren't worried about Rogers increasing Internet at first, they were after TV penetration and could go anyplace they wanted to into Rogers territory, any cable territory, and even outside any cable territory. 

Rogers, now had to up the anti - they tried first navigatr as the foundation to moving to IPTV - failure - 3 years of that - tried it in house - failed, along with the industry suppliers all changed just as they decided to move, while Bell had it nailed down strong with motorolo and Microsoft and merely had to put in servers, and start laying cable to the node first, then to the home.  No rush at first as Rogers had better internet, but TV that was going no where fast.

So Rogers had to scurry ike crazy to try and catch up, and while they did that, Bell pushed like crazy to get full GB and TV to as many places as they could, both where Rogers was, but also where they weren't - every new customer was cash flow, so the marketing became, both companies started the push to get new customers - the front page of sales, and promotions on the web site was all directed to the new customer, and the past customer was being pushed off legacy systems, as they want a unified system - they hae just introduced a way to change your tv plan, via my rogers, but you can only upgrade, not down grade.  You still have to call in.

There is hurdles put in front of all of us through double speak, plans that make no sence, more for lesss, and we feel like second class citizens, but the reality is they need to keep us with as may services as possible, and more the better, and lose as little as possible, and increase new customer base, and Bell is doing exactly the same thing.

We are now merely steady predictable cash flow and that is where the negotiation comes in - they will do cartwheels to keep a customer with a high return of cash flow for service connection, where as individuals who want to lower - they will remove the few extras to save some money, but no deals on the basic package mixes.

This is my perspective based upon an economic analysis - both companies need cash flow steady as  much as they can, and they all need new customers in order to pay for all this investment in the new infrustructure.

So back to the confusion - some are talking about the good old days, in terms of predictability and fairness of pricing for all, new or old, whie others are talking about increased costs due to technology and changes.

I don't dispute either position, but put forward that both companies arein a race for a bit of survival on a certain level in that Bell is pushing 2 year contracts and in new areas of gb up and down and fibre and new connections, they are doing free installs of the new lines and set up, but locking to 2 year contracts, unless you want to pay the full install costs.  They will first push that you have to have internet and cable to get the best deal (but the often drop the last few words), and it is true, you can get Fibe and no Internet, but it will cost more.  As with Rogers, you have to watch closely as to what they say and what you agree with, and a case recently Bell lost on the issue of verbal contract versus the confirmation, so they have to also become very careful whtat they say, while the sales pitch is alwasy, not what you asked, but starting with the top of service and work back and try to make you feel guilty and out of your mind for giving up the savings (no I just want to pay less).

So we have two discussions goingon here - one is the good old days, the other is the one above with the poster saying it just isn't fair that because he can negotiate he gets a better deal than his older family who can't do it.

or that they can't get deals as advertised to new customers.

What he is asking for is aneven playing field, but I think the reality is that they are deliberitelymaking it hard for us to change or reduce - ou have to go to change/cancellations department, you can't do it on the front end, you have to spend hours getting them to listen and set up a deal that is what you want and willing to pay for, knowing that you are giving up some things, and sill left with sour taste as you see new customers getting offered better deals.

But I see that we are in a time where they are deliberately competing all companies for new customers, and in general that means churn.  Bell has the one up, in that they have an established system in place, and evrytime they comeout with new technology, they go one step further, and rogers is playing catchup.  They don't have a product yet to sell except for Internt speds, for those who want it, but Bell is catching up on that one fast, and has Rogers backed against the wall.

So, my suggestion is thta you contact changes, and cancellations/retentions/ don't talk to front line people.

How to get there, there is no magic number - if you do get a front eperson with no authority, just ask if they can change your current service mix, which may include cancellations, get them to say yes or no. I dealt with a person it took 20 minutes to get him to say he couldn't cancel home hone in the bundle, that he had to cancel.

If they say no, ask for a transfer to changes and cancellations or a department that can't do it.  Ask the same question, and keep moving - set a time, be patient.

Then work with them, tell them what you want, and let them put the offers forward,  and at the end, have them make a quote, have them write it down and read back to you.  Then go to chat, and ask them to type the quote out as you need to understand your notes and what they puton file.  It keeps the miscommunication down.

As for any links to releant terms related to each service type, ask for everything that would be on a confirmation - whih is a service change summary with key points, a quote showing old services, changes, taxes, discounts, any time limited promotions with clear indiction of what rate will be at the end, ask quesitons until you fully understand.

I don't like it anymoe than the last poster does - I don't have loyalty - someone said thanks for your loyalty, and I said, I have no loyalty to you anymore, that disappeared over the last few years, because loyalty is earned, like trust, it is won easily, but also lost easily and once lost, hard to earn back.

So hear your frustration, but let's all work with it, and if necessary walk.  In my case, I will have to walk in most probability because my price point is now at a level I have to give up so much, that I might as well just change my viewing and internet lifestyle andlive with less.  Just because new technology comes along doesn't mean we have to be part of it.

Good luck in the crazy position they have put us in - easy to add services, hard to reduce service,s, or negotiate a fair deal - by the way on the new page, it doesn't show what a change would do to impact our bundle discounts, we know we lose the BCB discount the moment we do it, it just changes up our tv pakage and addons to a higher level.

I haven't tried it, because I would never do a change like that on a website where it is not clear what happens to all my other services and discounts and prices.

Buce

funnybunny
I plan to stick around

Hi Bruce,

Thanks..yes you understand.Was so frustrated that I got flagged twice yesterday because I had to much info on $$ paid and off subjet etc..I got it,but it's not about the personal info as in they will find you but people will know what you pay while your neighbor with the same package pays more.

It just looks bad..then comes in the only thing I need a phone # for retention and even thow 2 people came to help nobody can give me a phone# ...it's a taboo subjet and they can help thow while sending a disclaimer that they can't offer what a new customer has?..ok I send my info and poof 5 hours after I was still waiting for a response and then I messaged again and another person couldn't find where I had sent it while the link was on a previous PM? Anyways I now know how it works,chat and communityhelp isn't the way to proceed for me at least.

To be clair at 9h42pm somebody wanted to help again here on communitychat but at that time it's more about going to bed..

It's a never ending process of repeating what you want and then starting over again like it's groundhog day all over again..

Loved the good old days of 2011 when I had a NEW  package and rogers tech came to my house and set my stuff free.....

2015 came along and a work order was done that I had to go get a modem myself at their store because I had another contract I just signed with them?!

and then here we are and i'm wondering will I have to do cart wheels on top of my babybarn while losing half what I have as a package and paying more and need to do the leg work for it? Can't even have a phone # to see if I can have a fair price..so I don't know?!

Good luck in your negotiations!

Topic Stats