cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain Apps Connect over Wi-Fi but not Data.

Dave2861
I plan to stick around

Hello

There are apps on my iphone 6s that will not connect to my security cameras when on cellular but have no problem when on wifi. I have done the network reset, deleted the app and reinstalled, erased the phone and restored from the back up. Still does it though. Tonight I took the simm card out and tried my daughters from another carrier and the apps worked fine like they should. Reinstalled my rogers simm and problem is back. It seems to have started after the ios 11.4 update, 11.41 update didn't fix the problem either. in settings its says Rogers 32.0 for carrier

Also my wife's iphone is behaving the same so I don't think it is a simm card problem

Any ideas

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Certain Apps Connect over Wi-Fi but not Data.

Good morning,

Welcome to the Community & thank you for your posts @Dave2861 and @Jnick1982!

If you guys are still experiencing this issue please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can identify the cause and create a ticket if applicable. You can find more information on our private message system here

RogersZia

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53

RogersTony

Hello @Dave2861,

I know how frustrating it can be not being able to view your security cameras over data when you are away from the home. It brings a lot of piece of mind seeing whats going on at home while you're away. 

We'll need a bit more information before we can determine how to resolve this issue. Can you let us know the names of the specific apps that are affected? Can you also tell us approximately when you did the update to iOS 11.4 and subsequently starting noticing this issue?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

I was about to ask a general question about this, but if I can be of any help, adivce I will be technical 🙂 :

- I noticed after sniffing packets on my iPhone that on Rogers network we are now getting IPv6 addresses instead of normal IPv4 addresses that everybody is used to .

IPv6 looks like : 2001:0db8:0000:0000:0000:ff00:0042:8329

IPv4 looks like : 192.168.0.1

- There are equipements, DNS64/NAT64 at provider level, that exists that are able to convert DNS server name in front of IPv4 to IPv6 addresses which allows IPv6 system to talk to IPv4 system.  BUT if your application is hardcoded with an IPv4 literral address like 192.168.0.1 instead of a DNS like example.com, that equipement can't do it's job and your IPv6 iphone address won't be able to talk to that server causing your application to malfunction.

- Apple has requirements since 2017 to force application developers to be IPv6 ready and to not use address literals, but there might still be some in the field.

For Rogers staff : I noticed problems myself too since like end of May, that would be great if you could confirm that you switch your system to deliver IPv6 instead of IPv4.

Also to note Bell/Telus/Videotron are still using IPv4 which explains why your application would work in the same phone by just switching SIM Card.

Dave2861
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply

it was about June 12th when the problem started. 

The affected apps are Sricam WiOn E-View7 E-View7a

Hi,

I started having similar issues around your time also, this is why it is so important to have someone from Rogers confirming my presomption that they switched to IPv6 around this time.

We are definitly not the only one, and believe me I am working in tech and we had teams working to find a resolution for one app for more then a month before I sniffed packet and circumvene issue to Rogers LTE network

Dave2861
I plan to stick around
What you are saying makes sense. Not sure what is causing this. On a side note if I set my wife’s phone up as a hot spot and then log onto it with my phone , I can connect to the cameras. Her phone is also a iPhone 6s on Rogers. Her phone is experiencing the same problems as mine

Yes you have a totally normal behavior, which I also did reproduce, when you are in hotspot mode your iPhone is getting an IPv4 because in wifi mode, just like if you have an older router that is only providing IPv4 addresses.  I did validate this also by sniffing packets.

Good morning,

Welcome to the Community & thank you for your posts @Dave2861 and @Jnick1982!

If you guys are still experiencing this issue please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can identify the cause and create a ticket if applicable. You can find more information on our private message system here

RogersZia

Abbadi
I've been around

I am facing the same issue, I cannot access Sricam app on iphone 8 using rogers LTE, while I can do using different provider SIM card.

Dave2861
I plan to stick around

Problem has been fixed

thank you very much RogerZia

Hi,

I'm glad they fixed your problem by any chance can you go on http://test-ipv6.com/ and tell me if you have an IPv4 and an IPv6 or just an IPv4.

I hope I will have mine fixed soon.

Thanks!

I have the same issue, how to fix it ?

Dave2861
I plan to stick around
I’m seeing both ipv4 and ipv6
Not sure what they did they did say it’s a temporary fix and are working on a permanent fix.

Did you pm rogerszia?

Hello @Steve2047,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Not being able to use all of your App via Data is very inconvenient so we definitely want to ensure we get this working properly for you.

As per the accepted solution in Post #8 of this thread please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can administer a workaround until this problem is officially resolved on our end.

If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please click here.

RogersTony

I know other people having issues do they absolutly need to go through private messages or they could just call and have the temporary fix applied?

They are not technical and do not really understand, so ideally they would want to just be able to have their phone fixed.

wysLink
I've been here awhile

I am facing the same issue, I cannot access P6SPro app on iphone 8 (iOs11.4 ) using rogers LTE.  it is exactly same problem described by @Dave2861.   though @RogersZia said it have been soled, but the problem still be there. 

Yesterday we use same iPhone 8, to do the test 

when use Rogers Sim card :

LTE  not work,  WiFi works

open the hotspot at the phone, connect to the phone by another iPhone 8 via Wifi, it works 

when use Bell 

everything works fine.

For these two weeks, i did ever thing.     I have done the network reset, deleted the app and reinstalled, etc.  

Rogers is applying a fix by phone based on your EIMI so that is why you need to PM them about it.

Hope it helps!

wysLink
I've been here awhile

hi, @Jnick1982,  thanks for the information 

Genetiqs
I've been around

I can't view camera through LTE, but WiFi is OK, I am using 2 Apps; Yoosee and XMEye, anyone can help?

@Genetiqs wrote:

I can't view camera through LTE, but WiFi is OK, I am using 2 Apps; Yoosee and XMEye, anyone can help?

@Genetiqs

Check this thread:                              Issues with IKEv2 IPSec VPN on Rogers LTE/3G                           ...

You need to send a PM to @CommunityHelps asking them to fix this from the backend.

cderksen
I've been here awhile
I reached out like you suggested but have since been told Rogers does not support IPv4 but the problem has been fixed for me. Ironically, everything now works again so I guess support isn’t sure if IPv4 is supported or not.
Topic Stats