cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models) Activation

nasa25
I'm a trusted contributor

OK so the system is now live.  You should get a pop up asking if you'd like to update the carrier settings.  Click Yes

Then you go back to your watch app and 'setup cellular' is active.  I was able to get all the way to the 911 address screen but for some reason the 'continue' button is greyed out even when I enter my full address.  So not sure what's going on with that.  But I was able to get like 2 steps from the finish lol

***Added Labels***

603 REPLIES 603

Re: Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models) Activation

matdesmarais
I've been here awhile
I see what you are saying but what he did with the reset of the line did nothing to fix it, rebooting the phone and watch also did not help while I was chatting with him, and before because rebooting is always the first debugging step :).

The relinking was done entirely at my end. Remove plan after clicking the rounded i next to the "not in use" Rogers plan. then add a new line, picking the existing number during the registration process.

Regardless. It seems to be working fine now.

nasa25
Ah I see. Rebooting worked for me but maybe our issues were slightly different. In any event, glad to hear it’s working now.

gregory1
I've been here awhile

Originally had the WS201 error on September 25th.  Turns out I was only authorized for 3 lines even though I have had 4 for 10 years. So they rechecked my credit and authorized 5 lines.  The next attempt led to error WS501 on September 26th and this error continues to this day. My Apple Watch 4 still hasn't been activated for cellular. I've probably spent over 5 hours on the phone with Rogers over the past 3 weeks and they cannot resolve the problem. They've removed the original number associated with the watch and had me try again, had me complete numerous unpair and pair cycles, reentered the IMEI number etc. Nothing works and they have no idea when it will be working.  Some techs have an idea and try it out, others have no new ideas and tell me to be patient and back support will eventually resolve it. 

The error always occurs once I've selected the option to add the watch to the share everything plan, hit continue....then a summary of the share everything plan pops up and I hit continue...then the error.

Has anyone successfully resolved WS501 error and if so, how?

Thanks,

Greg

Edit - corrected initial error which i incorrectly listed as WS01

nasa25

@gregory1 I don't think I've seen WS501 pop up in this thread yet.  Here's my advice from a few weeks ago with respect to ANY error code:

Only advice I can offer is:

1. If you have an old sim card (2012 and older) swap in a new sim card in your iPhone

2. Check to make sure your iPhone is listed properly (IMEI correct) under devices on your rogers account

3. Ask customer support to re-register your iPhone line (wouldn't hurt)

4. Make sure you don't have ANY reserved lines on your account. If you do, get customer support to release them

5. Make there's no issues with your myrogers login credentials (check with customer support)

6. This is a big one - DEMAND that customer support or tech support go through your account FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.  Looking at every possible configuration option.  They need to provide you with assurance that there's NOTHING on your account that's causing these error codes

My personal feeling - all these codes are related to the configuration of your personal accounts.  There's something on your account that's causing these errors to still occur.  Customer support needs to put in the time, however long it takes, to go through every single configuration on each of your profiles.  That's the only way this will be rectified.    

nasa25

from @Tronny87

Because of the way Apple Watch is provisioned (ex: extending your wireless number to it), Rogers needs to add a 2nd line to your account, so if for whatever reason your account isn't eligible to have a line added, it can produce any of the W5xx errors, or the WS300 error. 

Also, @Moneoa was getting WS501 errors at some point.  Tried to trace a resolution but looks like they are still waiting to get activated, and dealing with a WS300 error now.  

aawong
I plan to stick around

OMG after one month and maybe 30 calls to tech support and many many tickets and pairing and un-pairing and turning on and off the phone and watch over and over again ......... finally someone suggested i have a older sim card that is not voice over LTE. So with little hope i go to the rogers store to get a new sim card AND IT WORKED I CAN SETUP MY WATCH NO PROBLEM TO CELLULAR!!!! WHOO HOO !!!!!

NOW ANOTHER PROBLEM, cellular is setup but my watch can not get a LTE signal it searches but just can't get a signal????????

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!

aawong
I plan to stick around

I was just on with tech support and they made me un pair and re pair again OMG.

Now i have another ticket. This sucks.

aawong
I plan to stick around

The more i think about it i am not sure my sim card was the problem Rogers must of really messed something up with that account and sim?

This long journey started when from the beginning when i could setup the cellular account with no problems on the apple app on the phone actually allowed me to do so.  With my old sim card that was supposedly not voice over LTE?

But the terms and condition on the phone app when you click add to my share anything plan did not show the 1gb free data and the three months free.

Stupid me bad mistake i decided to go into a rogers store (very bad mistake) to check if the 1gb promotion and three months free would apply and the person in the store says don't set it up on the iphone watch app and let me set it up for you to ensure you get the 1 GB data. So he set it up on the computer and scanned a sim card, and it never worked from then on.

Sorry just ranting, totally frustrated. 

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

@aawong

Sorry to hear about your troubles. IMHO, the SIM should be not relevant. Rogers played the same tune to me, viz. that my SIM is pre-2012 and does not support LTE and Apple Watch.

But, my iPhone does support and works with all the fancy features such as LTE data, VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling and now the Apple Watch on the Rogers network. This, with my pre-2012 SIM, which is still in my phone. (Rogers said they're going to send me a brand-new, shiny SIM by mail, but I have yet to receive it.)

I said it before, and I will repeat this: It was not my open ticket with Rogers Technical Support that was collecting dust for ten days which fixed my Apple Watch issue; it was @RogersMaude here, on these forums, who did something behind the doors and the issue was resolved within minutes.

gregory1
I've been here awhile

@nasa25  Thanks for the comprehensive list.  I know my sim card was 2013 or older so I did go get a new one after seeing your post and activated it, but no success. I have spoken to Rogers support twice today and they have reviewed my account details with no success. So I'm back in a holding pattern - I'll call Rogers again in a few days - had enough of this for now.  21 days in the WS501 waiting lounge and counting...

nasa25

@gregory1 there's something on your account that's causing the error code

The rogers rep(s) you spoke to probably just don't care enough to do a deep dive into your account to find out what's causing the problem.   Maybe if you escalate the issue to the Office of the President that might ruffle some feathers enough to get them to actually take a proper look at your account.

It's like a game of roulette.  Talk to 50 CSR's and one is bound to find the problem.    

It's such a shame that we, as customers, have to self diagnose these issues.

Here's how it should go:

Customer - I can't activate my apple watch

Rogers - we will open a ticket and get a resolution within 24 hours....

24 hours or less later....

Problem is solved.  No excuses.  No crazy wait times.  As paying customers we shouldn't have to self diagnose or even care what's causing the issue.  It should just be solved for us.  

Sorry for the rant.  Seeing all these ongoing problems is frustrating.  

I have the same problem WS503 can’t pass true the agreement. I called 3 times never get feedback with my ticket. I called Apple and get an appointment next week... Hope they can do something for... Very desapointed!

aawong
I plan to stick around

Again i was on last night with multiple tech reps. Can someone give me the correct answer i got two different answers from rogers have no idea who is right.

Tech #1: He says your iphone must be on and connected to the network in order for your apple watch to get a LTE connection. Essentially your iphone pushes notifications and phone calls to the watch? So i guess you need to keep your phone on and walk far enough away so your watch loses connection to test if the LTE works on the Apple watch.

Tech #2: He say your iphone can be in airplane mode so shut off from the network and the apple watch will than connect to LTE? Very different from Tech #1 that says you iphone needs to be registered on the system in order for the watch to catch LTE????

I tried both methods and my apple watch can't connect to LTE???

nasa25

@Morinistudio don't waste your time going to Apple.  They can't do anything for you.  This is a 100% rogers issue.

nasa25

@aawong your phone doesn't need to be on for the watch to connect to LTE.

The smartwatch line is tied to the iPhone line on rogers end whereby if your phone is off, all of your calls, texts, emails, etc will default to the watch.

All you need to do to test LTE on the watch is go outside maybe 500m away from your phone or a known wifi connection.  The phone can be on or off.  It doesn't matter.  

So on your watch, the cellular icon just stays white when out of range of your phone and wifi?  Does it turn green at all?  Do you just get the big red X (disconnected) when out of range of your phone and wifi?

Tlex
I've been here awhile

Hi !

Did anyone with an old account/rebate was able to enable their Apple Watch with the Share Everything package ? I've been on the chat for a few hours, received a phone call from a tier 2 a week ago and still nothing. Still get a WS503 error when trying to activate my serie 4 watch with my iphone X... I tried to get an update yesterday with my case number but the person on the chat told be she couldn't do anything.... I feel like i'm doing some kind of beta testing for Rogers but still receive the bill at the end of the month . . .

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

@aawong wrote:

Again i was on last night with multiple tech reps. Can someone give me the correct answer i got two different answers from rogers have no idea who is right.

Tech #1: He says your iphone must be on and connected to the network in order for your apple watch to get a LTE connection. Essentially your iphone pushes notifications and phone calls to the watch? So i guess you need to keep your phone on and walk far enough away so your watch loses connection to test if the LTE works on the Apple watch.

Tech #2: He say your iphone can be in airplane mode so shut off from the network and the apple watch will than connect to LTE? Very different from Tech #1 that says you iphone needs to be registered on the system in order for the watch to catch LTE????

I tried both methods and my apple watch can't connect to LTE???

If the iPhone is off or on airplane mode with all radios off (Tech #2), the Apple Watch should still connect to the LTE wireless network, but the functionality of the watch would be somehow limited.

If the iPhone is on and connected to the network (Tech #1), but not nearby your Apple Watch, the Apple Watch should connect to the LTE wireless network, and the watch should have full functionality.

This article by Apple should help: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205547.

Apple Watch Series 3 Activation Issues (WS300, WS504) 

I wanted to detail my issues today, for anyone else who has been having issues getting their Apple Watch activated. 

This may or may not apply to a Series 4 watch, but they occurred on my S3.

WS300 - If you're getting this error message, its related to the 911 address fields. It's most likely related to the postal code. This system uses the Canada post postal code reference lookup algorithm. Your street address will have a specific postal code that this service is trying to reference, and if you enter the wrong one - it wont work. To compound issues, RURAL customers have a completely different set of problems, as you don't have a straight forward address.  

If you live in a rural area, (in my case Rural Alberta), you more than likely have 2 addresses for your house. One is your mailing address, which may have Site, Box, RR or something like that in it. And you more than likely have a Civil 911 address. This is the physical location of your home, so that emergency responders know how to locate you. And there is a good chance that because Canada Post does NOT deliver mail to your house - it won't have your actual address in their lookup system. (SOME DO! ... Some don't!). If you try to use either one of these (you SHOULD be trying to use the Civil 911 address), the system PROBABLY might not recognize the postal code associated to it.  After many failed attempts it locked me out completely and wouldn't work. After a 57 minute phone call with tech support it was figured out that there were 2 reasons I was locked out. First was the issue of the postal code. We tried forever to find an address associated with where I physically live that could make the system happy. This was not possible. THE ONLY FIX FOR THIS IS TO GIVE IT A 911 ADDRESS THAT EXISTS IN CANADA POST'S SYSTEM - WHETHER YOU LIVE THERE OR NOT. The tech support agent escalated this issue, and this was the only resolution they could give me - reluctantly. If i make a 911 phone call from my watch, and I am not able to communicate - the emergency responder may elect to go to the address registered on the device (IF THE GPS ISN'T AVAILABLE). He made sure I was aware that Rogers does not condone this as an option - but ... to the end of trying to get this resolved, its the only way to do it. I elected to use my work address which has a postal code Canada Post recognizes. 

To exacerbate issues further was Error WS504 I experienced shortly after WS300 came up. The rogers tech didn't even HAVE WS504 in his notes as a possible error. So after escalating this, he figured out that for whatever reason - my rogers account is pre-authorized to activate up to 7 lines under my account. They are hidden, but if i bring other devices, the system is authorized to give me up to 7 additional numbers should i need them. I have my phone, and one other data only device under my account. Which means I'm authorized up to 5 other devices remaining. EACH TIME I TRIED TO ACTIVATE MY APPLE WATCH (UNSUCCESSFULLY), it pre-authorized an additional activation for it. You do the math - after 5 unsuccessful attempts to activate my watch, it gave this error code, as no more lines were authorized on my account.

SO - If you have experienced WS504 - it might be because you have already failed the system out - whatever number of pre-authed accts you might have, maybe you have 7, maybe you have NONE. Either way, it appears at first glance this error is related to NOT being authorized to activate an additional line.

In closing - use an acceptable canada post address and matching postal code - whether its yours or not (notwithstanding its your own problem if 911 can't find you), and when you get WS504 - you gotta call in and have tech support release all the failed pre-auths. 

My Apple Watch S3 is successfully activated - but still doesn't actually receive a network signal yet ... which no one knows why, and has escalated that ... unresolved. 

Hope that helps SOME people.. 

KCheng
I plan to stick around
I suggest Rogers should waive the activation fee + 3-month of service fee for all Apple Watch users who spent time & helped for trouble shooting.

nasa25
@User694

The phantom lines being added to your account and maxing out your approval limit throws a WS201 code. This is the first I’m hearing of it throwing a WS504 code.

That’s interesting.