cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models) Activation

nasa25
I'm a trusted contributor

OK so the system is now live.  You should get a pop up asking if you'd like to update the carrier settings.  Click Yes

Then you go back to your watch app and 'setup cellular' is active.  I was able to get all the way to the 911 address screen but for some reason the 'continue' button is greyed out even when I enter my full address.  So not sure what's going on with that.  But I was able to get like 2 steps from the finish lol

***Added Labels***

603 REPLIES 603

Re: Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models) Activation

wimp1946
I plan to stick around
Its almost not worth it maybe you should look at some other carriers I have been shopping around with Bell and Telus (Alberta) they have some good deal and I think have a better cell network than Rogers

nasa25
@wimp1946

Yeah it’s been a tough go for me but I have quite a few lines with Rogers and have honestly been happy with their service.

At this point I know I’ve exhausted all I can do to rectify this Apple Watch issue now it’s up to the tech support team to get my watch to maintain the connection.

Summary for people dealing with the ‘not in use’ cellular connectivity error on their Apple Watch:

1. It’s not the watch/hardware. My watch worked perfectly for the brief moments it was connected to the network
2. Deleting your current cellular line/profile and activating a new one will NOT solve the problem lol. I put that to the test tonight
3. Seems like a temporary solution to kick the watch back on the network involves tech support power cycling/resetting your iPhones network connection. I noticed that I lost all cellular service on my iPhone for about 3-4 minutes right before my Apple Watch randomly connected to the network. Then it disconnected minutes later as I previously mentioned.

I’m glad some of you guys have been able to activate and maintain a constant network connection. I’m defintely envious lol

Moneoa
I plan to stick around
So at around 11:30 it gives me 501 errors and then lets me get to e911 registration page. Failed a few times on the registration and now gives me ws201 errors?

nasa25
contact customer support and have them release the reserved lines off your account that were caused by the failed activations. That will solve the WS201

nasa25

Troubleshooting with Apple as this issue is consuming every fiber of my being.  After about 30 questions/checking every single setting on the watch and iPhone, this is what the consensus is:

APPLE:

From here, you’ll need to get with Rogers and continue troubleshooting the plan. The watch isn’t recognizing or getting the plan from the network. The hardware is fine and it’s able to be set up.

My friend is on Bell and is having the exact same issue with his watch.  The watch pairs just fine but he can't get cellular service on the watch when the phone is turned off.  He's spent 8 hours on the phone trouble shooting with Bell and Apple.  Apple says its a carrier issue.  Bell says the watch is defective and are suggesting to return it.

nasa25

@jimmyjam67  good to know.

When I have connectivity the watch works perfectly.  Has your friend been able to connect to the Bell network at all?

In my particular case I'm about 99.9% sure that its a network issue as opposed to a hardware issue.  Rogers can get my watch connected to the network (seems like they power cycled my iPhone cellular connection and that allowed the watch to re-connect for a few minutes).  So it can get a connection....it just can't hold the connection.  Something boots it off minutes after it's connected.   

Joelfen
I've been around

Apple Watch Series 4

Does the Series 4 watch need to be ‘tethered’ to your iPhone? Or can I operate all the capabilities of the watch without my phone on or nearby? Thank you

nasa25

@Joelfen

Yes you can if you have the LTE Apple Watch 4 and an active cellular connection

wimp1946
I plan to stick around

Once the watch is initially paired with your phone you do not need to take the iphone with you.  My son lives in Seattle and he called with his watch only he left his iphone at home just to see if he could do it.  It worked awesome I couldn't tell that he was only calling with his watch.  I hope this answers your question

nasa25

@wimp1946 just to confirm, by pairing you probably mean setting up cellular connectivity on the watch

Pairing the watch with the phone would not, in and of itself, provide the ability to use cellular on the watch without the phone nearby.  The only way to leave your iPhone at home and use the watch for calls, texts, stream music etc is to set up cellular connectivity on the watch

So, a wifi only apple watch, for instance, would never be able to operate independent of the iPhone except for when it's connected to a wifi network that is already setup on the phone.  Like if you went out for a jog and wanted to make a call, your watch would 100% need to have cellular connectivity setup and would have to be an LTE model.  

wimp1946
I plan to stick around
Yes you need the cellular service on the watch. The Apple watch series 4 with GPS only would not be able to do that. The cellular watch uses your existing Iphone cell number when using it by itself as far as I know

nasa25

@wimp1946 yup exactly!  Just wanted to clarify that....

wimp1946
I plan to stick around
You have to have the cellular version of the series 4 watch for it to work independent of your phone

He gets connected just fine with the Bell network.  Watch works perfectly in all aspects, except for using it as a standalone cellular device...which kind of defeats the purpose of ordering the (GPS +cellular) version of the watch!!

wimp1946
I plan to stick around

That sucks I am sure my Son said he was using it independent of this iphone when he called from Seattle maybe the US has a different network if you can not use independent from your iphone may as well saved a few bucks and got the GPS version

nasa25

The watch should be able to be used independently if the cellular connection is active and working properly.

Your friend with Bell might have a good cellular connection with his iPhone, but obviously the cellular connection to his watch isn't working properly (hence why he can't use it as a standalone device).  Like you said, same issue I'm having.  My watch doesn't recognize the fact that I have an active rogers smartwatch plan.  It thinks it's 'Not in Use' (inactive) and prompts me to add another cellular connection.  

I'm pretty certain that as far as punishment goes, I'm #1 on the list of this whole Apple Watch/Rogers fiasco.  

5 days of error codes trying to activate.  Then once finally activated another 3 days (and counting) of no connectivity.   I past the point of being tired of this whole situation about 2-5 days ago

@nasa25 The watch is connected to the phone via bluetooth, not cellular. Thus when the phone is turned off, no cell service is available. There are 4 green circles above the cellular icon on the Apple Watch. They are all empty and it says "Call Failed" when the attempt is made. Apple says hardware is fine. I wonder if Telus is also having issues.

nasa25

@jimmyjam67  I'm aware that the watch and phone connect via bluetooth.  Cellular service is available independently on the watch if it has a connected cellular plan that's working.  

It seems like your friends Apple Watch DOES recognize the fact that it has a connected Bell cellular plan, it just gets zero connectivity/bars.  See, my watch doesn't even recognize that I have a Rogers smartwatch plan/cellular connectivity.  In the brief moments that it did recognize the rogers connection/smartwatch plan, I had perfect service/bars and was able to call and text with my iPhone off.

So seems like your friend and I have different problems.  Net result is the same though.  No cellular connectivity.

Winterishere1
I've been here awhile
If you have a business account or Corp, the lte doesn’t work with the watch as it doesn’t have the ability for some reason as I was told on Rogers chat. Sucks

Bodisia
I plan to stick around
I actually moved my whole business account over to consumer because of this.... unreal that they don’t provide the service for business but not surprising considering they can’t get the consumer side to even work