cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double / Failed Text Messages

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

Hello 

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edege and am having the issue with getting failed or double text messages. Had the phone since launch with new sim card. I've tried factory reset as well reset on Rogers side of things. They've opened a ticket but wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Not sure if it means anything but I have no issues with calls and get VOLTE as well can switch to roaming when in my basement at home.

Thanks in advance

***Edited Labels***

118 REPLIES 118

Re: Double / Failed Text

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @CMR1

Seems to be a issues for months now. Even Mobilesyrup has posted this before.

My girlfriend has a iPhone 7 while I am using a LG G4. It's been happening for the past couple of days but I can say that most device I have owned this has happened only with Rogers / Fido. Annoying for sure.

Re: Double / Failed Text

Riddler
I'm here a lot
Turn off VoLTE. Look it up how to turn it off and do it. Simple fix, problem solved for me immediately.

Re: Double / Failed Text Messages

I've recently been experiencing the problem with the receipt and sending of multiple text messages with my Samsung Galaxy 7.    Anything I can do or better yet anything you can do to fix this

Turn off VoLTE! This is what you can do and the issue goes away immediately, you posted right under the solution.

itzallgo0d
I've been here awhile
I did try turning off the LTE in settings but still sent and received duplicate text messages. Whatever happened on Rogers end remedied the duplicate messages.

Drifter_77
I've been here awhile

I don't think you understand the difference between a resolution and a temporary workaround.

But without making any changes to my phone, i started sending and receiving messages normally today, no failed or dupplicated messages.

So for those who have turned off VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) because someone told you to,  i think you can turn it back on now.

I comprehend fully the difference. I was interested in immediate results not endless whining. My ends were served by disabling this useless function. VoLTE does not offer me personally, any benefit and I will leave it off.

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

The failed text messages have now been resolved as of yesterday when I spoke with the office of the president this was a seperate issue network wide and is fixed. As for the double, tripple, etc text messages this is an on going problem and no mention of time frame again to resolve this issue. I was just advised every department Rogers celluar is involved trying to figure this out.

Also disabling VoLTE will not change anything as this issue is even happening on non VoLTE devices as per Rogers. Your more then welcome to do so for a placebo effect. I've been there done that and took it a setup further during my trouble shooting and removed the VoLTE off my account as well which did not fix anything.

This currently is over a year in the making trying to resolve this that I was reminded of by the office of the president which I wish I had better news for everone but I don't. If anything changes or updates I will update this thread.

phandlstewart
I plan to stick around

Hi, all.  I was just told by someone I text with that she is receiving double messages from me.  I have a Galaxy S7 Edge.  I saw the postings about turning off VOLTE but I have no idea what that is or how to turn it off.  I'm in no way a power user.  Thanks for any help.

Just wanted to chime in. Have to say been pretty disappointed in Rogers as of late. All they have been doing is steadily increasing the monthy fees of their plans over the last several years with no improvement in service whatsoever.

I also have had issues with multiple texts over the last year or so but it was tolerable. This last week it has been unbearable.

The issue has again resurfaced today. I have disabled my VoLTE as this forum has discussed and it seems to have at least temporarily solved the issue.

As soon as I have an opportunity I am leaving Rogers.

phandlstewart
I plan to stick around

Can you tell me how to disable this VOLTE thing?  I don't even know what it is!  Thanks!

Google: disable VoLTE Galaxy s7. Or whatever model you have.

Sorry to those that the issue returned for. I kept this useless feature disabled and have had no issue. Hope the patronising individual who said I don't know the difference between a work around and a fix has had to use my workaround! The fix is likely complicated and time consuming or they'd do it quick. They aren't just ignoring the issue many of us are experiencing (and many more who aren't in the forum I'm sure).

rzanatta
I plan to stick around
On S7, open phone application. On top right, tap on the three vertical dots and select settings. From the settings page, you'll find VoLTE option.

I have it enabled since the Nougat update and haven't had any issues.

phandlstewart
I plan to stick around

Thank you so much.  We'll see how it goes.  Again, thank you.

fbffd
I've been around

I've had this problem with my S4, S6, and now S7. It is very frustrating when trying to do business. I've had clients send me screenshots of me sending the same message upwards of 10 times.

I thought it was an android issue, but reading up it looks like it is a network issue. Shall I hold off on splurging and making the dreaded iPhone jump? 

phandlstewart
I plan to stick around

Best if you ask Apple people if they have experienced the same issue.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @fbffd

Apole is having the same issue as well. My girlfriend and also one of her friends are having the same issue with Apple and Blackberry. So switching phones sadly won't do anything it's a a network issue.

Re: Double / Failed Text Messages-fail to recieve over wi fi

I have registered the problem with Rogers and they have created a ticket, and I call daily. 

Every day the operator tells me technical support is working on it.

Yesterday I finally got smart and wrote a complaint to the CRTC complaints division.

I think the only thing these wireless companies understand is a huge fine for millions of dollars.

They do not care about us as clients, because when we pay out our phone and switch to the only other Canadian wireless service (TELUS) they have recieved a gigantic profit from the phone sale (cost about 60 bucks to make) and they don't have the customer calling every day. They also receive an equal number of customers who are angry at TELUS, which is how I ended up at Rogers. So, just be prepared to spend over a thousand bucks a year switching back and forth between carriers, because none of the cariiers cares one bit about us, there is no one else to go to, it is a monopoly divided by two! Meanwhile, my phone will not receive text messages, but will send. So, everyday, I text that days clients to phone or email but don't text, because Rogers hasn't got the capacity between here and the Philipines to figure out why their crumby program for texting over WiFi won't work on Samsung S7 running NOUGAT . stop.jpg

@MadAsCanBe wrote:

I have registered the problem with Rogers and they have created a ticket, and I call daily. 

Every day the operator tells me technical support is working on it.

Yesterday I finally got smart and wrote a complaint to the CRTC complaints division.

I think the only thing these wireless companies understand is a huge fine for millions of dollars.

They do not care about us as clients, because when we pay out our phone and switch to the only other Canadian wireless service (TELUS) they have recieved a gigantic profit from the phone sale (cost about 60 bucks to make) and they don't have the customer calling every day. They also receive an equal number of customers who are angry at TELUS, which is how I ended up at Rogers. So, just be prepared to spend over a thousand bucks a year switching back and forth between carriers, because none of the cariiers cares one bit about us, there is no one else to go to, it is a monopoly divided by two! Meanwhile, my phone will not receive text messages, but will send. So, everyday, I text that days clients to phone or email but don't text, because Rogers hasn't got the capacity between here and the Philipines to figure out why their crumby program for texting over WiFi won't work on Samsung S7 running NOUGAT . stop.jpg

@MadAsCanBe The carriers aren't making giant profit on the hardware, you can buy the phone direct from the manufacturer to see how much the phone costs without carrier intervention. Also the phone doesn't cost $60 to make, there is hardware, software, R & D, logistics, etc. that all add to the cost of a product. Also there is no need to spend $1000 a year to switch carriers, the best thing is to buy a phone unlocked and outright so you only have to buy the phone once, then you can switch carriers as much as you want! I've had an unlocked iPhone for 3 years and have no contract with Rogers and can switch carriers if I decided to at any time.

I have a fantastic Note4 unlocked from TELUS, but Rogers said the phone is "too old" to run the software for voice and text over internet. I was FORCED to lay out 1000, in January, now of course, the new S8 launches, so Rogers has no interest in fixing the old S7, and won't honour the warranty. By the way, Android has been capable of running voice and text over internet since the NOTE 2, but the carriers have the feature "greyed out" in the menu so the subscriber can't turn it on. They also deduct minutes of your plan, even if you use it over wifi. 

@MadAsCanBe

@MadAsCanBe wrote:

I have a fantastic Note4 unlocked from TELUS, but Rogers said the phone is "too old" to run the software for voice and text over internet. I was FORCED to lay out 1000, in January, now of course, the new S8 launches, so Rogers has no interest in fixing the old S7, and won't honour the warranty. By the way, Android has been capable of running voice and text over internet since the NOTE 2, but the carriers have the feature "greyed out" in the menu so the subscriber can't turn it on. They also deduct minutes of your plan, even if you use it over wifi. 

Rogers runs the Network and chooses which models get's VoLTE. Every Carrier does the same thing and only enable features on certain phones that have been tested to be compatible with the network/feature. Why were you "FORCED" to spend $1000???

Personally I wouldn't spend $1000 on a new phone just to get VoLTE, but everyone has there priorities.

Also every carrier will deduct minutes from your plan if you use WiFi calling, however using VOIP like Skype/Whatsapp calls wont use your minutes, but will use your data. The reason they deduct minutes is because you are still going through the Rogers network, and it costs money to keep the network running. 

I know my post sounds harsh, but you can't really blame Rogers or any carrier, they are a business, and provide a service that we choose to pay for.