cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Rate Increase

dblues
I plan to stick around

I have Rogers Ignite Starter TV with 500 G Internet.
The only reason for the Starter TV is to get the bundle with the internet, which was cheaper.

I don't ever watch the Starter TV, as the content is mainly useless!
I have several International news channels and I stream all my movies.
When I had ask for just the Internet. I was told that I have to have a TV package...so there is THAT!

Today I got my Bill and the Bill was increased by about $10, without any notification from Rogers!
Maybe I missed the fine print somewhere, but I have been paying the same Bill for a while now.

I was planning to get a new iPhone with Rogers but I changed my mind now. I will be going with another provider. It's also good for diversification, just in case there is another disaster.

RANT
I am getting fed up of these companies using these "bait-and-switch techniques
fully approved by the CRTC who they are in bed with.

Plus, they buying out other companies, so they are the only game in town! So now we basically got a Duopoly!

All the cost of this  new economic environment is being passed down to US so they can satisfy their "shareholders"

Rogers is not the only one. Amazon is inserting ads into their streaming content if you don't upgrade for an additional fee. Other streaming services will surely follow.
Groceries, Mortgages, Rent and on and on!

Meanwhile our salaries are stagnated while these companies pay millions of dollars for a 30 second ad during Superbowl!

I am seriously thinking of "disrupting the stream" AND "cutting the cable"...taking a break from all these services.

All I need is Internet.

END RANT

***Added Labels***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: 2024 Rate Increase

Cd16
I've been here awhile

Rogers increased my rate despite me having a 2yr come back offer. When I called they agreed to offer discount for 1yr but would not credit difference on my most recent bill.
Sounds a little crooked?

RogersMaude

Good day @dblues & @Cd16,

We thank you both for sharing your feedback regarding this situation. 

We are committed to delivering the best services with the highest standard of quality and reliability. As a part of our enhancements to bring you the best experience, we continue to invest in our network to increase capacity and ensure we are delivering reliable services to our customers. We’ve invested heavily in our tools to make it simpler and faster to interact with us.

On November 7, 2023 , we started notifying impacted  Ignite Internet and Ignite TV customers  about an upcoming rate increase, that would take effect on their first bill received after  January 9, 2024.

On December 12, 2023 , we started notifying impacted  Legacy Internet, Digital TV and Home Phone customers  about an upcoming rate increase impacting their monthly service fee on their first bill received after  March 11, 2024.

This rate change helps support ongoing investments we are making to provide the best possible products and services, technology, and support for our customers.

The bill message and notification would have appeared on your November or December invoice, depending on your type of account.

If you feel like this should not have impacted your services, can you verify if you had a "Guaranteed Savings" offer or if it was labeled as "Guaranteed Pricing (Rate Protected)"? 

• Guaranteed savings: The rate increase applies to the monthly service fee, but your monthly discount will remain the same for the full duration of your promotional period.
  • Guaranteed pricing: The great price you currently enjoy getting will remain the same for the full duration of your promotional period. The new rate will only apply after your promotional period ends.

We could surely check your account to confirm your package/bundle details if you are unsure. Feel free to send a message to @CommunityHelps, if you'd like us to take a deeper look into this. 

To know how to send us a private message, check out this blog. Thanks!

RogersMaude

LC13
I've been here awhile
Hi, I am also impacted by the recent increase. Just received my internet and tv bundle bill today and noticed an $8 increase.

I never received the notification from Rogers on the upcoming rate increase. I am extremely frustrated as this has happened multiple times throughout the years that I have been with Rogers. I have been hoping for better transparency and controls around price increase which never came. Will likely be switching provider.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LC13 wrote: I never received the notification from Rogers on the upcoming rate increase. 

You probably did. It was in your bill statement a few months ago.  A lot of people don't bother checking their statements and miss these announcements and other useful information about their account.

User2507863
I've been here awhile

I'm pissed too. Just got my bill today and it's up $10. "See page 3 of your January bill sir" was the answer. I was told a price in the summer guaranteed for 2 years and they do this! I'm canceling Rogers and Shaw...

Shel3419
I've been here awhile
I also got this bill increase and was told to see my December statement…. I was on a corporate plan for only a few months and all my lines increased by $7.50.

What I find so ridiculous is that Roger’s communications has no shame in sending me offers via text messages and emails..: but could not even have the decency to text me about this planned rate increase…

You burry the rate increase in a bill that, most people don’t even read (me especially because I have direct payment billing…) and then force your customers to bend to what ever you want..

I most certainly will start shopping around this week for something else.. just aweful..

DO BETTER!

LC13
I've been here awhile
We all know how effective the statement is in delivering an important message. While I don’t read my entire statement, I do logon to my account on a regular basis to monitor usage. Have multiple services including wireless with Roger. There’s constant product offers on MyRogers page popping in. Why can’t they do the same with rate increase? The ownership should be on the service provider to ensure consumers are informed of rate increases using different channels - Text, email, online. Rogers should do better!

LC13
I've been here awhile

I too have direct payment and don’t read my entire bill. Also at the increase without “notification” in this day and age, one would assume “notification” implies a phone call, text, email etc. not something buried in page 3 of a bill. Rogers needs to do better to ensure message is received!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello LC13, What do you mean you do not read your entire bill, You just pay it automatically without going in and downloading the PDF files to your computer?  This means you will not see any increase notifications.   Do you do the same when you shop at the supermarket? just pay the bill without checking for being overcharged?  what about Hydro or Gas or Water bill? Car insurance? just pay it and forget about what the invoice says?

Shel3419
I've been here awhile
Hello Paula,

Well of course that is correct… give me a break. Cell phone bills are designed for connivence so that the user knows that it will be a set rate for the time frame given when signing. Most people do not read every word of their cell phone bills because they are like 20 pages long, and they already know the amount going to be deducted for the most part…..

Whether I read the bill or not, I will still have to call in if I was wrongfully overcharged and then they will issue credits on my next statement. Hence why most people with direct bill payments don’t read their entire bills word for word, unless the amount deducted from their account doesn’t make sense.

My dispute is not that Roger’s can’t raise rates, it’s that they should have a duty to adequately ensure all users are informed of rate increases just as they do for promotional offers. Obviously, the people who feel wronged are not a small group of people, since so many people are talking about Roger’s rate increases over Internet forums.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We have the technology to have access to our utility bills at the tip of our fingers, they can be accessible on your smart phones, tablets, laptop, computers, desktops, from work, or from our hotels, yet, we as a society do not bother to check them. can you believe this?  People have chosen to simply pay the total and move on with their life and when they find out months later there was an increase, they get outraged.   That is not the fault of the company, that is just something not part of your monthly routine, if u want to know how much your bills are, take 5 mins out of your day once a month and read your bills, im sure back in the day  when everything was paper invoicing, people would read their bills, what has changed?  technology has changed, and so did our habits and routines, they went out the door.

dblues
I plan to stick around

Exactly. They know most people do not check the bill (after all they begged us to move to online billing).
So they bury the increase way down in the bill
This is  "old school" hustle. All the big companies are doing it!

dblues
I plan to stick around

...and that is exactly what they expected. If I know the cost of my service and I am seeing it month after month, then I do not need to read the whole bill. I see the same charge all the time. It is only when it changes you will stop and read the whole bill.
They have a right to inform us via email ahead of time when these changes are coming instead of burying it in the online bill.This is the game that they are playing. By the time you see the increase and stop to read the bill, it has already happened and they sell you the story that it was on the bill. It's a typical old school hustle full sanctioned by the CRTC and the provinces (who are lobbied by Rogers).

And it just so happens to be in line with the price increases of all the other carriers, what a surprise. Have to love the Canadian telecom monopolies. Love how the tag line is always "helps support ongoing investments we are making to provide the best possible products and services, technology, and support for our customers." Yet the service never changes, we get less and pay more. I'd say id go to your competitor but they are just as bad.

I don't see anything on my Nov or Dec invoice about a rate increase. It should have been under the 'messages' section. Why don't you be a little more above board and notify us via a separate email saying "rate increase" in the subject line?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Roman42 wrote:

1. I don't see anything on my Nov or Dec invoice about a rate increase. It should have been under the 'messages' section.

2. Why don't you be a little more above board and notify us via a separate email saying "rate increase" in the subject line?

1. It is always about several (2-3) months before the increase.  Check your Bill statements again.  On my November bill it's under "Upcoming Change", but yours may be different

2. You can keep banging your head against this wall, but it's unlikely to help.

tv
I've been around
I don’t want improved service, I want my bill to remain the same. If your improving service you should be able to attract more customers and enjoy economies of scale so everyone wins not just your monopoly.

KhanhHa
I've been around
My contract ended in May 2024 is $101. Rogers didn't send me any notice that the contract ends and automatically increase the price to $244 in June 2024 and $447 in July 2024. It shocked. Can't believe the big company can do like that. So disappointed!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I logged into the MyRogers app on my iPad and see nothing about this there...

hiho
I'm an enthusiast

Saw this post about rate increase here and i checked in my services and found this

Starting Sept. 17, the price for each additional Ignite Entertainment Box on your account will be:
  • Streaming: $12/month + tax.
  • Bundles: $17/month + tax.

i have a 2yr locked in contract will my bill go up with this new rate increase or will it stay the same at $10.00

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 37 Likes
  • 13 in conversation