usb storage on CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: usb storage on CGN3

Yeah, I've been doing file shares with Windows boxes forever, but now that electricity is twice as much money I'm trying out lower power options (certified cheapo).
I've Been Around

I thought this thread was good to help me connect my modem to USB storage until I realized I have the CODA-4582 Router.

I think the steps should be close and similar for the CODA-4582, however I am stalled at the step to get an address on the Router admin page for the location of the storage.

Any thoughts?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Also running a CODA-4582, and went to use the USB port today. Plugged in my 1TB external HDD via usb, and logged into the modem, and I can find the section, but it does NOT detect my HDD.

I also have a 2nd router configured as an access point downstream connected via lan-to-lan, and that router also has a usb port. If I connect into that, the drive shows up on the network page properly, and I have no issues accessing it. I was just hoping to use the CODA due to ease of access. Also might want to use 2 hard drives.... I start chat support with an agent, who said THEY have to enable it on their end, which she did, but still nothing.

Does the USB port work or not with this coda??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh, thats the first indication that tech support has to enable the USB port that I've ever seen.  News to me. 

In any event, @BigJug@Jeremy24 the CGN3xxxx series modems and CODA-4582 do not support USB3 devices.  That's an Intel problem that only Intel can sort out by issuing a firmware update to resolve the lack of USB3 support. 

Indeed... either the rep didn't know what she was doing, or thats a first.

I mentioned to her that I can see the USB toggles myself via the GUI, and she still seemed to indicate that even though I had (partial) access via the gui, it was still something THEY needed to enable first on their end. Either way, it didn't make any difference - I still cannot access the drive.

Just an FYI though, my device is NOT a USB 3.0 device... its a regular 2.0 device, and since the port on the back is a USB 3.0 port, it should be backwards compatible. 

Thanks for the info Datalink, but that still doesn't answer if its actually enabled and functional yet. 

Its a bit boggling though that if the hardware supports it, it should just be a quick firmware update to turn it "on" or "off".  Why have something so simple and just not enable it.  I understand it may not be a big priority, but it just seems like it would be an easy fix.

I can recall waaaay back in the early days of the Scientific Atlanta digital boxes - they too had usb ports on the back, and they were disabled.  Eventually Rogers turned ON the usb ports - and although they couldn't be used for much, especially nothing really tv or cable related, they did indeed turn them on.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did  you have a read thru the following post regarding mapping the drive:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Maping-an-external-drive-on-CGN3-Gateway/m-p/386787#M4...

Just wondering if the drive itself isn't showing up at all?  If you have an empty USB or USB2 stick, try formatting that as an ext3 and see if it makes any difference.  I had a quick look around the net and came across a freebie application that works on Windows OS to format ext3. 

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

This is on my list of things to try, to determine if there is an issue with NTFS drives versus ext3 drives with the 4582. 

Thanks Datalink,

yes I actually did read through that post. I am just kinda getting into this since changing around my network from over the holidays. I have successfully added a few different computers to my network, and successfully set up a few folders to share across the PC's. I also have a Western Digital MyCloud NAS drive connected at the moment, and was able to map that drive no problem. I have connected an external HDD to my Linksys router (acting as an AP) via usb and it showed up easily and I also mapped that drive w/o issue.

The 2nd HDD i'm trying to connect is currently empty and was formatted on my Win10 machine, and it shows up fine when connected back to my laptop, so I can try and re-format in ext3 (haven't heard of that file system before) and see how it goes... I'll report back once I know more.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thank you.  I was thinking that if you had a small USB or USB2 stick lying around, that would make a simple test target, and you wouldn't have to reformat a big drive.  Let me know how this turns out, no matter what type of drive you use.  

Just an update:  I had a small 2GB flash drive laying around, plugged it into my pc to see what was on it, and noticed it was formatted in FAT32.

I had some files on it, but decided to plug it into the CODA and voila - the USB light on the front immediately came on, and while navigating to the Admin menu, I was able to find the flash drive instantly and navigate to my files through the Windows Network folder.  Works perfectly.

BUT - still no go with a NTFS formatted drive.  I haven't gotten around to formatting the drive in ext3 yet, but with such a new piece of hardware, I'm very surprised that its this picky.....