cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

KoN1
I plan to stick around

I talked to a technical manager last week and they they told me that no one else was complaining about this issue and there were no other cases....LOL

Rogers tech support can't be trusted.

jack00009
I've been around

Am facing same challenge with Netflix and Prime Video playing fine but YouTube stutters a lot. 

Joxer
I plan to stick around

@RogersCorey @RogersMoin why no response from Mods for over a month on this topic?  Why is the the hill that Rogers is willing to lose customers on, thousands of dollars per customer per year.  This makes no sense.

Joxer
I plan to stick around

Also, why is this topic marked as 'Solved' unless we take that to mean that we know that Rogers is "messing" over our YouTube streams and is completely satisfied with that, despite loss of customers, waste of techs time to find non-existent issues with our connection/lines to Rogers, waste of time for your employees to deal with CCTS complaints (everyone should open one if they haven't already), etc etc.

Really I've been a customer for over 25 years at this location.  I can live with the 30Mbps upstream for now.  The 5 minute drops in service that plagued us for several months causing much pain during conference calls, online exams for my daughter etc did get resolved and we seem to be back to a stable setup.  I have no love for Bell so it makes no sense why you are trying so hard to push me there where upstream and YouTube aren't an issue.  You've screwed over my TV packages, but who even watches TV now anyway, and I have the 'old' tv/router package and not the Ignite so switching to Bell is really only a pain vs that transition in terms of re-wiring my home which won't be easy.  And transitioning to a new router/tv plan with Ignite will clearly not solve the issue at hand (nor the upstream - I still don't get how you can legally sell this as 1Gbps/100Mbps when I haven't even seen 40 in quite some time).

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

Just an update. I am continuing dealing with Rogers looking into this. My contact from the Office Of The President who I've been dealing with was not aware of this being an issue. She has asked since I have my ticket open for anyone else having this issue to call in to her to be added to the open ticket. 

I think this would be a huge help to anyone having this issue to call in. The more people advise of the issue the better chances we have to have them investigate further. 

She's nice to deal with and would like to find a resolve for everyone. Hope this helps

AccordXTC
Clearly Rogers mods want to hinder the process in resolving this matter. If anyone with the issue would like to PM me I can provide the contact information to the Rogers person working on this issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not trying to toot my own horn, but those wishing to have a summary post discussing the issue and how to confirm the issue, please feel free to link any discussions with Rogers to the following post, rather than to the whole thread.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Youtube-Download-Slowing-Down-Causing-Buffer-possible...

@AccordXTC wrote:
Clearly Rogers mods want to hinder the process in resolving this matter. 

I doubt that's the case as I've always found the mods on the forum to be most helpful, although they cannot typically solve a technical problem themselves.  I agree that using as many people, and as many routes as possible is a good idea.  The more people complaining, the more likely there will be a resolution.  This is a bit tricky because most people just use the default settings on YouTube and don't even notice as the quality drops off below 4K and even below 720P....

AccordXTC

@57 When calling in now daily, yes I call daily as tickets are closed and also call and email daily Office Of The President. What I have started doing is each Tier 2 Ignite rep  I am speaking with I also educate them regarding this problem and test it out themselves to see it's an issue which they do see. The more people that are aware including employees the better.

stockylobster
I plan to stick around

Just run cmd as administrator and copy/paste the following line:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="durrrp" dir=in action=block remoteip=173.194.55.0/24,206.111.0.0/16 enable=yes

Hit Enter

Problem solved

4K videos streams no problems at all. I can even clip through the video and loads almost instantaneously. 

Nvm apparently those ip addresses belongs to Verizon now.

AccordXTC

@stockylobster You might want to read the whole post to know that a smart TV or Ignite box is the devices having the issue.

stockylobster
I plan to stick around

Its not just ignite boxes or smart tvs. I have this issue on my computer too. I'm watching a 4k video right now and it buffers like crazy!

stockylobster
I plan to stick around

Trying to watch this in 4k: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6so7wKYzOM&feature=emb_logo

And it buffers like CRAZY! Turn on Stats for NERDS and it's streaming under 7Mbps. Once I turn my VPN on I'm streaming at 174Mbps! Rogers and Google needs to fix this!

AccordXTC

@stockylobster Have you called in to Rogers and created a ticket for the issue? No offence but coming here to state what we've known for awhile now is a waste of everyone's time. Call into Rogers and voice your complaint and create a case ID. 

Change can't happen if we don't voice this to Rogers! 

Joxer
I plan to stick around

I agree @AccordXTC although I have a CCTS issue opened atm, at the stage where Rogers has informed them that the issue remains unresolved. 

I cancelled my VPN provider as I wasn't 100% happy with their service nor their transparency but will likely line up another and see if they are better.  It was mostly the Mac app they had which would only connect at the lowest preferred protocol and would drop the connection sometimes while showing connected, but 99.5% of the time it played 4k video just fine even if I had to occasionally do a little manual connection reset.

Going back today to Rogers service with spinning wheels, 1080p instead of 4k (probably be even worse tonight) - it's just so bad.  Need to find a replacement until/unless Rogers fixes the issue.  If it's not fixed by spring I'll switch to Bell Fibe.

AccordXTC

@Joxer You're best to keep the case open as well open a case with the CRTC off their website as I have. I was contacted by a Rogers rep today and was told he would get to the bottom of it, which I wont hold my breath as no one from Rogers has ever "got to the bottom of it" but more so passed the buck.

The way I see it was I was sold Ignite services that is offering 4K and 1080p capabilities, as such not being able to do that on my Ignite box, Sony TV and PC with YouTube is misleading. Since I cannot use these devices to their potential it's on Rogers to ether discount the services or refund me the cost of these products being crippled by their service. 

Unfortunately I use Eero which surprise Rogers provided and it cannot setup a VPN in the Eero system. Plus why should any of us have to endure another cost to make something Rogers offer work. Another option is Rogers to publicly not lie to new and existing customers and advise them their current services cannot handle YouTube 1080p or 4K streaming. 

Perhaps Bell, Cogeco, Videotron, etc could show Rogers how to resolve the issue, this makes me laugh as Rogers would never admit to not knowing how to do something. As for switching to Bell Fibe, I would do this as well but in the end would have a cost tied to do this that Rogers would be on the hook for. Also I'm seeing this through because to many of the customer who don't know any better or wasted the time deserve answer. 

My daily calls to Rogers have not stopped nor will they! 

Joxer
I plan to stick around

I hear you @AccordXTC !  Just downloaded an 8GB game update on the xbox, the same one that sometimes can't get 1Mbps on YouTube, at no less than 400Mbps, done in a few minutes. 

There are some other good reasons for wanting a good VPN but to by another router to install it on for the full house and almost certainly get a slowdown on all other services is a lot of hassle.

The last time I complained they sent out a tech that spent time diagnosing imaginary problems and replacing equipment that seemed to be functioning just fine before he did anything.  Maybe time for another ticket though, you're right.

AccordXTC

@Joxer Same thing they did with me on sending out a "senior tech" January 31st and no fault was found. You really should open up a new ticket. 

Just realized my QNAP NAS can act as a gateway via it's VPN client, so I can actually utilize my VPN connection with my SmartTV / non-PC devices, ie where I primarily watch youtube.

Because of course, youtube is still a buffering broken mess on my Rogers connection unless I'm going through VPN. And again without a VPN connection everything BUT youtube works perfectly, and streaming 4K HDR is a breeze. 

I really can't comprehend why this isn't a top priority for Rogers. This isn't some obscure little streaming site we're talking about here. Fix this, even if it requires involving Google.

AccordXTC
Trust me this will be resolve and will follow this through. But like I've said over and over people on here can't complain if they don't use the tools given to them to speak to the right people dealing with it. I've given the tools, what you do with them is your choice.

Joxer
I plan to stick around

Arg - the next VPN  provider I tried, Mullvad,  seems pretty good but will require a router with custom firmware to even try out on other devices.  It was not clear on their site, but the way their VPN works isn't the same as the regular VPN (ExpressVPN, TunnelBear, etc) providers I've used before does.  It doesn't show up in Networking system pref as a VPN, and therefore also not in the Internet Sharing.  The speed seemed really good and its so far been reliable I just didn't want to have to buy yet another device for this.  Maybe it could operate in bridge mode and replace my powered switch I use for the tv and game consoles etc in the entertainment center.  But it looks like more hassle to set that up for those devices and a few hundred to get a decent router.  This should not be this hard.