Upgrading Internet Package & Exchanging Modem During Covid-19

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Upgrading Internet Package & Exchanging Modem During Covid-19

I recently upgraded my internet package with Rogers from ignite 150mbps to ignite 500mbps and a gigabit modem is required. Do I need to send back my 150 modem before they send the new one?

**Labels Added**

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Upgrading Internet Package & Exchanging Modem During Covid-19

I believe Rogers should send you the new modem first.  Hopefully the return shipping label for your present modem will be included in the package. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I am having issues with my wifi randomly disconnecting, it is especially annoying now that I have to work at home. I am thinking it is the modem that is causing this.

I have tried to exchange the modem but my local store is closed. What are the other options to have the modem exchanged other than to have a technician come out?

I do not want a technician comming out as my girlfriend is a health care worker and I do not want to unnecessarily put anyone including the technician at risk . Please help!

In Pickering Ontario

Highlighted

Hello leeg84! Welcome!

My name is Corey and I would be happy to help you out with this intermittent disconnection concern that you have.

The first thing I would like to do is run some tests to determine whether or not this modem could be defective or if there is another issue happening here. Please PM us @CommunityHelps so that I can gather your account information in private.

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogerCorey

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have already called your customer service teams, told me to unplug this, plug this, quite frankly I do not want to go through this again, in fact it was your customer service team who told me to visit the store to change my modem, but failed to tell me they were closed.

My question is simple what are my options for changing my modem safely during this time.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leeg84 wrote:
I have already called your customer service teams, told me to unplug this, plug this, quite frankly I do not want to go through this again, in fact it was your customer service team who told me to visit the store to change my modem, but failed to tell me they were closed.

My question is simple what are my options for changing my modem safely during this time.

As far as I know, the Rogers techs are not entering any homes at this time.  For new installs, they do any outside work that is required and provide the customer with the equipment that needs to be installed inside while the tech waits outside.  Any installs that require inside work by the tech are getting deferred until the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

As for getting your problem fixed, I would follow @RogersCorey 's advice and send a PM to @CommunityHelps .  They are a great team of people who can run tests on your equipment remotely, escalate issues internally, review notes from your previous interactions with Rogers, dispatch a tech to fix outside cable plant issues, and they can send you replacement equipment by courier if that is all that is required.  If the modem really is the problem, Rogers should be able to confirm that immediately.

I would also save a copy of your modem signal stats now that your modem has had some runtime since the last reset.  Work with Rogers to get this resolved (yes, they may have to dispatch a tech) but if you feel that you need a second opinion, for whatever reason, then feel free to post your modem stats here so that they can be reviewed by  experts in the Community.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Ok thank you I am not an expert with tinkering with modem stats but I booked a service call and they said they will just leave the replacement on the front porch.

As for the old one what do I do with it? Do I just wipe it down and put it in a plastic bag for them to pick up? Or do I ship it back?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leeg84 wrote:
Ok thank you I am not an expert with tinkering with modem stats but I booked a service call and they said they will just leave the replacement on the front porch.

As for the old one what do I do with it? Do I just wipe it down and put it in a plastic bag for them to pick up? Or do I ship it back?

That all depends on how Rogers arranged the replacement.

If they arranged an actual service call and a Rogers technician drops off your modem, you can probably do an exchange on the spot.  The tech can pick up your old modem, activate your new modem, and will likely also be able to wait outside while you plug everything in to at least make sure that the signal levels are okay... and follow up with any outside work, if required.

If they send the replacement by courier, they should provide you with instructions on how to install and activate the new modem and how to return the old modem.  Rogers also recently published the following blog post: How to return Rogers equipment

Some (but not all) Rogers stores are open during the COVID-19 shutdown,  If you can find one nearby, you can also return equipment there.  Just be sure to get a receipt.

Make sure that you return your old equipment promptly.  A few weeks ago, Rogers sent me a replacement set-top box by courier.  I did not receive any instructions on how to return it and was told (when they activated my replacement) that those instructions would be shipped separately along with a return shipping label.  I never received anything and had to contact Rogers again (2 weeks ago) to make special arrangements.  I returned the equipment promptly after that but my next bill still had an Unreturned Equipment charge.  It has been more than a week since they received my equipment return and they still have not reversed the charge on my bill.  Getting this cleaned up will take more time that any other part of this whole process.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

A technician is coming out tomorrow, my concern is we are a high risk household, even though me and my girlfriend are asymptomatic, she works in a health care setting taking care of the sickest people, we are not 100% sure we are virus free even though she has been tested and came back negative. We obviously take every precaution in our household to minimize risk to ourselves and others, so that is why I put up with this subpar service for a bit, but unfortunately it is impacting my work at home. 

As a precaution the modem we are giving back, I plan on sanitizing it and putting it in a clear plastic bag and let the tech know about it at a safe distance, if he/she is comfortable picking it up its fine, if not will I be able to ship it the modem back?  I would like a Rogers employee to answer this as they know best as to how to handle this.

I am not concerned about the replacement modem charge for now as I am sure I can get it refunded later on, once this all settles. 

Highlighted

Hello @leeg84,

Thanks for your post! Field Technicians are not currently accepting any equipment returns from customers – even when they're on site to swap the equipment. We take the ongoing situation very seriously and we take these measures to help limit the risk of exposure for everyone, even if we know you're being super careful!

To return unused or disconnected Rogers rental equipment (and avoid unreturned equipment fees) just ship it back to us at no charge. If you're wondering how to return your equipment, see below for our Canada Post courier process!

Create a Free Canada Post Return Waybill Online:

1. Using the link provided, click Print a Return Label.
  2. Enter PR823007 in the Canada Post Return ID Number field and click Continue.
  3. Complete Your Contact Information section.

For more info, check out the How to return Rogers equipment Blog!

RogersMaude