Unable to load certain website(s) and or videos

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Unable to load certain website(s) and or videos

I will begin before saying anything that I am just a customer, same as you @SaugaOG, so have no vested interested, only want to inform.

I don't want to get into the legal discussion around this whole thing, that is for another place, but wanted to flag for others to know that since January 2015 when the Canada’s Copyright Modernization Act came into effect, a practice where copyright holders can obtain the IP adress of users who have downloaded pirated material has been in  place with the notices called Notice on Notice - Under the law, there are large penalties that can be applied, but I cannot comment fully on the legal responsibilities of ISP's, other than they must pass on the copyright infringement notices.

Whether they can block access to those sites, I have no idea, but I have read that around the world, they are starting to go after the providers, and there is also a move to stop the use of loaded Android boxes that permit for downloading of copyrighted material.

It is an interesting question, that we all need to consider if we choose to go down this road.

It is kind of like the Napster issue years back, and the recent ending of the use of US ip addresses and VPN's to access US netflix.

It is a combination of a moral and greay area legal question that is going to probably work its way through the regulations and application of the existing laws over the next year or so.

I provide this just for insight into the reality that for those who choose to go down the road of accessing copyrighted material, you can be identified, there are potentially large fines, but cannot comment on the blocking of sites, but as we have seen with Netflix, it is technically feasable.

Bruce

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @Jhobbs93,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forum!

Definitely doesn't sound like an ideal situation to be in, hopefully everything has since been resolved?

If the issue still persist, then I'm curious if there has been alterations to the router settings? Have you tried to factory reset the modem? Also, are you using a 3rd party router? 

I'll tag in some of our Resident Experts for further insight and help :).

@gp-se @Datalink @Gdkitty @VivienM

Look forward to your response!

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jhobbs93 wrote:

Hi there,

I just had my internet transfered to my new condo. I'm only able to connect to Google websites like YouTube and Gmail on my wifi connected devices and my PC which is connected with an ethernet cable. All other websites don't work.

Help!!

Never seen anything like that before..

Obviously internet is working if you can get out to google..

My first thing would be to try and do a factory reset on the router.. let it refresh and re-pull everything.
(new firmware, etc possibly)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SaugaOG wrote:

As far as Im aware its illegal for ISPs in Canada to block access to websites. So why is it that within 2 minutes of getting a copyright notice I can no longer access kickass. Please fix my access or I will have no choice but to switch providers. Thank you.

Still not able to access the site?

Appears that KAT is up at the moment.. i can access it from here at work at least on Bell.

I have never seen them block access before like that, even after a copyright notice.

I have had many times that KAT has been up/down.  Might have been one of those down times.  They have to bounce hosts around a lot as their old ones get shut down.
I know a few others have been attacked/taken down the last week.  Nyaa for example.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So after calling Rogers they assured me that they don't block any websites since it's illegal. The rep seemed very sincere so I'm inclined to believe her. Likewise since that time I got two other copyright notices but those links work. It's really weird that the first one doesn't.

Basically I downloaded seasons 1-3 of Sherlock, and the odd thing is that I got a notice for season 1 1080p webrip. I cant open that specific torrent (bad gateway) but I can open other season 1 links and can open the other 2 I downloaded. I am extremely baffled by this cause as far as I'm aware only 2 people can block access to a site, your ISP and the site. Since Rogers said they didn't and KAT would never, I don't know what's going on.

Either way I don't care as much after cooling down. Wrote the original in anger because I'm very strongly against censorship so when I thought I was being censored it sent me over the top. I also wanted to comment to warn others that they were monitoring IPs but can't comment on any of the three links 😕
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The notices, are just passed on by rogers... so its really what the ones complaining, who would be setting the link, etc in it.

As for KAT.. i was reading today, that KAT just in the last little bit, did switch their hosting/URL as they had to move..

Are you trying to go to the old site?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I tried the link again and today it works. Yesterday was getting a bad gateway just for that one specific torrent. Today works fine again. No idea what could have happened but everything looks resolved now and I can comment to warn people. If anything I learned to take a day and not do anything rash anymore.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jhobbs93 Factory reset the modem as advised. Push and hold the reset pin at the back for 15 seconds then let go, the modem should reboot. 

After that check your computers and make sure the DHCP and DNS settings are set to auto and aren't using a custom DNS server.

google for instructions depending what Operating System you are running.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am in Brampton, ON and still have the problem of being  Unable to load certain website(s) and or videos. It doesn't matter if it's my desktop or laptop. Using windows 10.1 or 8.1 doesn't matter. Tried modem reset and other suggested fixes but nothing works.

Highlighted

Good morning @gkbernard!

Welcome to our Community Forums!

I know this is a frustrating issue but we'll have to troubleshoot further to figure out what's going on here. Please PM us @CommunityHelps for further assistance!

If you're not familiar with how to PM, please follow this link for instructions: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/535

Regards,

RogersCorey