cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Chinese website

dwqdaniel
I plan to stick around

Everything is fine in Oct. but now it is very very slow, and always keeping loading and never finish.
It seems only happens in Rogers network , because my Fido network is working well
Is there anything wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to access Chinese website

The traceroute provided by @dwqdaniel shows that the last hop reacheable is 219.158.103.29. This IP is well past the Rogers network and belongs to "CNC Group".

Based on the fact that certain users are able to access to website and others not, I suspect that the traffic is being blocked by CNC Group for some reason, likely to protect themselves from a past network attack. They are likely blocking certain ranges of IP addresses which explains why some people are able to connect while some others are not.

There is unfortunately nothing we can really do for this as the problem lies entirely outside our network.

Dave

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a couple of possibilities.

If its not a bad site, are you able to post the URL here?

Just so I/We can test a few things.. traceroutes, lookups, etc on it.

Could be that Rogers doesnt have a proper DNS record for it? Or that they dont have a proper route to it.

RogersCorey

Good morning @dwqdaniel,

Could we get a link to this site so we can test it here?

Are you using a custom DNS? If so, try going back to default and see if that helps you resolve this page.

RogersCorey

dwqdaniel
I plan to stick around

Thanks Gdkitty,can you test http://www.ctrip.com and http://club.kdnet.net ?

dwqdaniel
I plan to stick around

No,  I did not use any custom DNS, can you test http://club.kdnet.net and http://www.ctrip.com for me? 

Both of these sites load for me. 

I would recommend clearing cookies/cache if you haven't already.

RogersCorey

dwqdaniel
I plan to stick around

Yes, I did cleared  cookies/cache before, but still not working

robindp
I'm an advisor

@dwqdaniel wrote:

It seems only happens in Rogers network , because my Fido network is working well

Hello @dwqdaniel,

You mentioned that this only happens on the Rogers network, and not on the Fido network - are you having trouble accessing http://www.ctrip.com and http://club.kdnet.net from your phone, computer, or both?

As with @Gdkitty & @RogersCorey, I was able to access both sites from my phone, tablet and computer with no problems.

--If you are having problems from your phone, what model phone & OS?

----Example: I tested using an HTC One m8 running Android 6 (Marshmallow).

--If you are having problems from your computer, what OS are you running? (Windows 10, MacOS, Linux, etc).

Running Windows? Please try the following:

- Click Start, type CMD and press [enter].  The Command Prompt appears.

- Type ping www.ctrip.com and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

- Type ping www.club.kdnet.net and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

- Type tracert www.ctrip.com and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

- Type tracert www.club.kdnet.net and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

Running macOS? Please try the following:

- Open a Terminal window (Applications > Utilities).

- Type ping www.ctrip.com and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

- Type ping www.club.kdnet.net and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

- Type tracert www.ctrip.com and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

- Type tracert www.club.kdnet.net and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

Running Linux? Please try the following:

- Open a Terminal/Console.

- Install traceroute command - type sudo apt-get install traceroute and press [enter].

--Provide your root password when prompted.

--If your system does not use apt, install traceroute using the Synaptic Package Manager (or the package manager that shipped with your distro).

- Type ping www.ctrip.com -c 5 and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

- Type ping www.club.kdnet.net -c 5 and press [enter].  Copy/paste results into a reply to this message.

Please let us know!

@edit: Sorry @Gdkitty, missed your reply earlier (you were waiting for information before recommending ping/tracert, and describing how to do it).  Hope I saved you some typing! 🙂

Hello @dwqdaniel,

@Gdkitty had a great insight a few replies ago: Could be that Rogers doesnt have a proper DNS record for it?

Running Windows and want to check? Please try the following:

- Click Start, type CMD and press [enter].  The Command Prompt appears.

- Type nslookup and press [enter].

- Type set query=a and press [enter].

- Type ctrip.com and press [enter].

- Type club.kdnet.net and press [enter].

Running macOS and want to check? Please try the following:

- Open a Terminal window (Applications > Utilities).

Running Linux and want to check? Please try the following:

- Open a Terminal/Console.

When running this from my Linux or Windows systems, I get:

www.ctrip.com --> IP address 140.207.228.30

www.club.kdnet.net --> IP address 42.81.10.92

dwqdaniel
I plan to stick around

C:\Users\Administrator>ping www.ctrip.com

正在 Ping dayu.ddos.tc.cdntip.com [112.90.51.175] 具有 32 字节的数据:
请求超时。
请求超时。
请求超时。
请求超时。

112.90.51.175 的 Ping 统计信息:
数据包: 已发送 = 4,已接收 = 0,丢失 = 4 (100% 丢失),

C:\Users\Administrator>tracert www.ctrip.com

通过最多 30 个跃点跟踪
到 dayu.ddos.tc.cdntip.com [112.90.51.175] 的路由:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms hitronhub.home [192.168.0.1]
2 14 ms 13 ms 21 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [99.254.204.1]
3 28 ms 14 ms 23 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [66.185.91.145]
4 19 ms 32 ms 26 ms so-5-0-2.gw02.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [
24.153.7.246]
5 20 ms 16 ms 21 ms pos-1-0.gw01.nmkt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.
185.81.185]
6 14 ms 22 ms 21 ms van58-9-229-214.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.1
48.229.214]
7 35 ms 39 ms 38 ms ce-0-18-0-0.r07.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [128.
241.3.185]
8 44 ms 40 ms 33 ms ae-3.r08.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.1
77]
9 * * * 请求超时。
10 90 ms 95 ms 92 ms ae-2-70.edge3.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.69.152.82]

11 99 ms 189 ms 99 ms ae-2-70.edge3.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.69.152.82]

12 260 ms 257 ms 271 ms CHINA-NETCO.edge3.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.79.54.6
]
13 283 ms 262 ms 265 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [219.158.103.29]
14 * * * 请求超时。
15 * * * 请求超时。
16 * * * 请求超时。
17 * * * 请求超时。
18 * * * 请求超时。
19 * * * 请求超时。
20 * * * 请求超时。
21 * * * 请求超时。
22 * * * 请求超时。
23 * * * 请求超时。
24 * * * 请求超时。
25 * * * 请求超时。
26 * * * 请求超时。
27 * * * 请求超时。
28 * * * 请求超时。
29 * * * 请求超时。
30 * * * 请求超时。

跟踪完成。

C:\Users\Administrator>

请求超时 mean request timed out

Hello @dwqdaniel,

This might be the problem.  Here is my tracert output (Windows 10):

ctrip-tracert.png

I noticed that your traceroute ends here:

13 283 ms 262 ms 265 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [219.158.103.29]

"INTEL_CE_LINUX" is typically an alternate name for your own hitron modem/gateway - I don't know why your traceroute ends here.

@Datalink@RogersDave@Gdkitty - what do you think? Could this be a peering issue (Rogers-China Netco) or a defective modem?

dwqdaniel
I plan to stick around

Thanks, is that means I need to change a modem?

Hello @dwqdaniel,

I am not sure if swapping the modem will help you - but you should definitely work with Rogers support at 1-888-ROGERS-1 to log/escalate your issue.  Direct them here, and feel free to provide them with the tracert screenshot I posted above (to document the difference from your tracert).

The fact that your tracert resolves to a completely different place than mine (to INTEL_CE_LINUX) is strange - I ran multiple tracert's across multiple PCs and could not reproduce that result.

Does anyone reading have any other ideas / feedback?

The traceroute provided by @dwqdaniel shows that the last hop reacheable is 219.158.103.29. This IP is well past the Rogers network and belongs to "CNC Group".

Based on the fact that certain users are able to access to website and others not, I suspect that the traffic is being blocked by CNC Group for some reason, likely to protect themselves from a past network attack. They are likely blocking certain ranges of IP addresses which explains why some people are able to connect while some others are not.

There is unfortunately nothing we can really do for this as the problem lies entirely outside our network.

Dave

dwqdaniel
I plan to stick around

Thanks Dave, can Rogers help me to change my IP ?

The easiest way to do that I suspect is to simply swap modems.  That will result in a new IP address.

dwqdaniel
I plan to stick around
l have changed the modem, now it is working good. Thank you very much for your help

HBjai
I've been here awhile

New Rogers Internet user - Unable to access certain Chinese website

Good day all,

I just switch from Bell Fibe Internet to Rogers few days ago. While the internet speed is good, but for some reason, I cannot access certain Chinese websites or use any of the apps (China Stock Market app) on both of the computers that are connected through CODA-4582. While some of the sites are accessible on my phone while connected to the same CODA-4582, and some yield the same results as the computer.

And when I connect my computers to my phone as a hotspot, I can access all the websites without any issues. 

Need some directions as to where to proceed. Thanks in advance

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@HBjai : Your post may have been moved to this thread on the topic. Check out post 14 of this thread because there is an explanation there with regards to IP addresses being blocked and that may be why your "phone connection" works....

There has been recent discussions regarding IP addresses causing other issues and it could be the case here as well. The recommendation was that if you change out your modem you may get a new IP address, however, that same thread mentioned that you may or may not get a new IP address. Others may have more to add on this topic. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing you may want to check.. is that its actually resolving properly.

Could be rogers DNS server doesnt have a proper listing for it, not knowing where it should resolve to.

Open a dos command prompt:
Start > run > type in CMD

When in the command prompt, type in

nslookup nameofothersite

(nslookup SPACE whatever the address is of the other site)

This should get a result like the following:

www.google.ca
Server: Docsis-Gateway.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Address: 10.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.google.ca
Addresses: 2607:f8b0:400b:802::2003

If your not getting addresses at the bottom part.. the rogers DNS may not be seeing it.

To try and bypass and see if it 'fixes' it would be to try and change your local DNS on that machine.
In the network settings for the wired/wireless card, there is the option to change the IPv4 properties, and change the DNS in there, so say the google one of 8.8.8.8.

Maxtt
I've been around
YouTube works fine.
Google works fine.
Rest is all not working.
From markham
Topic Stats