This might be the problem. Here is my tracert output (Windows 10):
I noticed that your traceroute ends here:
13 283 ms 262 ms 265 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [188.8.131.52]
"INTEL_CE_LINUX" is typically an alternate name for your own hitron modem/gateway - I don't know why your traceroute ends here.
I am not sure if swapping the modem will help you - but you should definitely work with Rogers support at 1-888-ROGERS-1 to log/escalate your issue. Direct them here, and feel free to provide them with the tracert screenshot I posted above (to document the difference from your tracert).
The fact that your tracert resolves to a completely different place than mine (to INTEL_CE_LINUX) is strange - I ran multiple tracert's across multiple PCs and could not reproduce that result.
Does anyone reading have any other ideas / feedback?
The traceroute provided by @dwqdaniel shows that the last hop reacheable is 184.108.40.206. This IP is well past the Rogers network and belongs to "CNC Group".
Based on the fact that certain users are able to access to website and others not, I suspect that the traffic is being blocked by CNC Group for some reason, likely to protect themselves from a past network attack. They are likely blocking certain ranges of IP addresses which explains why some people are able to connect while some others are not.
There is unfortunately nothing we can really do for this as the problem lies entirely outside our network.
New Rogers Internet user - Unable to access certain Chinese website
Good day all,
I just switch from Bell Fibe Internet to Rogers few days ago. While the internet speed is good, but for some reason, I cannot access certain Chinese websites or use any of the apps (China Stock Market app) on both of the computers that are connected through CODA-4582. While some of the sites are accessible on my phone while connected to the same CODA-4582, and some yield the same results as the computer.
And when I connect my computers to my phone as a hotspot, I can access all the websites without any issues.
Need some directions as to where to proceed. Thanks in advance
@HBjai : Your post may have been moved to this thread on the topic. Check out post 14 of this thread because there is an explanation there with regards to IP addresses being blocked and that may be why your "phone connection" works....
There has been recent discussions regarding IP addresses causing other issues and it could be the case here as well. The recommendation was that if you change out your modem you may get a new IP address, however, that same thread mentioned that you may or may not get a new IP address. Others may have more to add on this topic.
One thing you may want to check.. is that its actually resolving properly.
Could be rogers DNS server doesnt have a proper listing for it, not knowing where it should resolve to.
Open a dos command prompt:
Start > run > type in CMD
When in the command prompt, type in
(nslookup SPACE whatever the address is of the other site)
This should get a result like the following:
If your not getting addresses at the bottom part.. the rogers DNS may not be seeing it.
To try and bypass and see if it 'fixes' it would be to try and change your local DNS on that machine.
In the network settings for the wired/wireless card, there is the option to change the IPv4 properties, and change the DNS in there, so say the google one of 220.127.116.11.