cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/modem login

sierra1989
I plan to stick around

It would be nice to have Multi-factor authentication to log in to Ignite Router/Modem ,  as I have had someone not from my home change the password for the login.   It has happened 2 or 3 times now so I have to reset modem to get access..

*** Edited Labels ***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Router/modem login

RogersCorey

Greetings @sierra1989!

If your password is being changed like this, then that may indicate that someone has gained access to your network. This may also mean that your computers or devices are compromised. It could alternatively indicate that your settings are becoming corrupted and we may need to swap the modem as a result.

To eliminate any chance your security is compromised, I'd like to ask you a couple questions. I hope you don't mind!

Have you tried changing your password to something new or are you resetting it to the same password it was previously? If you're re-using passwords, I'd recommend changing to an all-new password.

Have you run any anti-virus or malware scans recently? If not, I would highly suggest that you check your computers and devices to make sure they're clean.

If you're using an all new password and your devices come back as clean, please feel free to PM us @CommunityHelps so that we can look into swapping the modem. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

sierra1989
I plan to stick around

yes I have done a full factory reset, changed SSID , changed password as strong as it can be ,scan for malware regularly.   It usually is fine for a couple of days to a couple of weeks  then modem password changes again  , then i just start all over again with ,full factory reset, changed SSID , changed password as strong as it can be.It seems very obvious of who the  culprits are .the problem has been going on for years culprits were turning on my Wi-Fi ,I have it turned off as  I only use wired . I tried wireless three weeks ago , all settings correct, in 25 minutes 3 unknown people connected to my Wi-Fi  so I turned it off and back to wired . I am sure the only people who want on my Wi-Fi  are the one's who are close enough to use it.  I am sure  they are also the one's responsible for disabling my automated billing for my Rogers Internet as I now have to manually pay it online.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sierra1989 wrote:

yes I have done a full factory reset, changed SSID , changed password as strong as it can be ,scan for malware regularly.   It usually is fine for a couple of days to a couple of weeks  then modem password changes again  , then i just start all over again with ,full factory reset, changed SSID , changed password as strong as it can be.It seems very obvious of who the  culprits are .the problem has been going on for years culprits were turning on my Wi-Fi ,I have it turned off as  I only use wired . I tried wireless three weeks ago , all settings correct, in 25 minutes 3 unknown people connected to my Wi-Fi  so I turned it off and back to wired . I am sure the only people who want on my Wi-Fi  are the one's who are close enough to use it.  I am sure  they are also the one's responsible for disabling my automated billing for my Rogers Internet as I now have to manually pay it online.

After you performed that full reset, did you also log into your gateway and change the admin password (which happens to be password) to something that only you know?  Also go to "Advanced > Remote Management" and ensure that Remote Management is Disabled.   You should also change your MyRogers password and ensure that nobody has access to your MyRogers account or your MyRogers app.  If you are using a password manager, ensure that your password vault is secure, is not shared, and has not been compromised.

If you give out your Wi-Fi password to people that you trust, the only thing that they should be able to access is your Wi-Fi network.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation