Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

The Rogers Community Forums has always played an important role in providing important feedback regarding our products and services. We are excited to offer our users an opportunity to participate in a trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACSMR, CGN3ACR and CGN3AMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). This program is exclusive to registered users of the Rogers Community Forums (space is limited).

The new firmware includes the following features and enhancements:

• IPv6 enabled by default
  • Security enhancements
  • Fix to preserve LAN connectivity in case of HFC outage or loss of signal
  • Addition of Wi-Fi Survey functionality
  • Improved stability of WPS function
  • Improved Wi-Fi performance
  • Various minor GUI changes and improvements

If you are interested in participating, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps with the subject line “Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial”.  A member of our team will be in contact with you and provide you with further instructions.

We’re keen to receive feedback on this new firmware. Once you've received the new firmware, please provide your feedback directly in the FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial thread. 

Questions regarding this program can be posted below.

***Please note - you must be a registered user of the Rogers Community Forums in order to participate.  To register, please follow these steps.***

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

625 REPLIES 625

Re: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

I am on Coda with black dot, it was factory reset and the Asus is up to date. I have never seen this problem before. I have noticed in the firewall settings on the Asus there is a section there for IPV6 FOR "famous server list." I have it blank right now. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also have Nat and UNPN enabled under the wan setting.

disable upnp, also make sure Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) is enabled/auto and not disabled. Some times turning on QOS can disable CTF. 

Also when you experience slow downs, plug a PC directly into the back of the CODA Modem and run some speed tests to see if it's still slow. This will rule out the CODA or ASUS.

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Thanks,

I have now disabled UPNP and CTF was ok set at auto.

When I factory reset the Coda I still went through the motions of setting up the connection, wifi and such. Then I put it in Bridge mode. I assume that is the way to do it.

@Hucklebury wrote:

Thanks,

I have now disabled UPNP and CTF was ok set at auto.

When I factory reset the Coda I still went through the motions of setting up the connection, wifi and such. Then I put it in Bridge mode. I assume that is the way to do it.

@Hucklebury Yup you still have to do that initial setup, then you can turn "Residential Gateway Function: OFF"

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around
Ok thanks
One last thing I need to know.
I kept using the same ssid and passwords. Is that ok to do?
Also I am not sure on the firewall setting for IP6 for famous server settings

@Hucklebury you can keep using the same SSIDs and passphrases.  Just make sure that they are long enough and random enough to be secure.  Personal opinion, they should both be random and long enough to fill both fields, 32 characters for the SSID and 63 or 64 characters for the passphrase.  Entering a long passphrase into a phone or ipod, etc can be a bit of a pain, but, it will be secure.  You can use the following page to generate secure SSIDs and passphrases:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Refreshing the page will result in new character strings.

Just to note, you don't have to enable IPV6.  You can keep it disabled and run IPV4 only if you determine that IPV6 is still causing problems for your local network.  If so, disable IPV6 and after that setting is complete, log back into the router and reboot it.  

Ensure that the IPV6 firewall is enabled.  On the IPV6 settings tab, if you disable, the setting to "Connect to DNS Server automatically" that brings up a secondary set of entry windows to enter an IPV6 DNS server.  At that point you can enter something else such as Google or OpenDNS.

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

2001:4860:4860::8888

2001:4860:4860::8844

The OpenDNS IPv6 Sandbox IPs are:

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

On the Advanced Settings WAN tab, if you disable the:

Connect to DNS Server automatically: (set to no) ,  you can also enter the DNS server of your choice:

Open DNS

Google

Note that with the Broadcom based Asus router, there are other functions that can automatically disable the NAT Acceleration (CTF), possibly without warning.  These include any form of Traffic monitoring, where the CPU has to do something with the data before it exits the router.  You would know right away as the throughput speeds with the NAT Accelaration disabled would drop to somewhere around 250 Mb/s.  

The AI Protection doesn't hurt the IPV4 throughput, but, from my observations, it will drop the IPV6 throughput.  So, that is another reason why you might not want to run IPV6 if in fact you want to use the AI Protection, which is what I do for now, use AI protection and disable IPV6.  

Fwiw, I was running a few tests yesterday with stateful IPV6 enabled and ended up with pingtest failure after about 5 minutes of running the pingtest.  Thats more than a little unusual, so, if you decide to use IPV6, either stateless or stateful, keep an eye out for possible IPV6 problems, specifically issues with your cell phones, or problems accessing google or yahoo sites.

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Wow what a headache,, LOL

I think what i need is to talk to someone in person and get this set up. I wish I knew someone to call.

Personal opinion, unless you need access sites that are IPV6 only, disable IPV6 and when that is set, log back into the router and reboot it.  If you run an XBox One, then running IPV6 would be useful.  So, it just depends on what you need to do.  Get the router up and running with IPV4 properly and then add IPV6 in slow time.

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

I dont have xbox. I thought I should be getting ready for IPV6. I understood that the was the thing to do. ok, so turn off IPV6, so then the firewall for IPV6 can be disabled too. I have NOT done anything yet with AIProtection,

I was kinda hoping you would PM me with contact info,,,, LOL

PM sent.  Check your message in box.  You can leave the IPV6 Firewall enabled and disable the IPV6 service.  They are set on two different tabs. 

purbagp
I've been here awhile

Please add me to the trial software for coda-4582

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around
You can join the beta by sendind a PM to @CommunityHelps With the Subject: Firmware Trial

include your account number, modem MAC address, and Modem Serial number, you can find the last two when you login to the modem.

purbagp
I've been here awhile
Thanks

QueJoder
I plan to stick around

I was looking into this Router too. Did you buy the refurbished one from eBay?

Cause under the model number i cant find any new anywhere of the webstores that sell Routers (in some ot those places refer to the ASUS Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router, Black ( RT-AC68U)  << (minus the P at the end)

Does the P in  your model refer to the Refurbished condition?

The 1900P is an Asus designation.  If you're running gigabit service and looking for an all in one off the shelf router, you should be looking for routers that have a 1.4 Ghz processor as a minimum, preferrably faster if possible and within your budget.  The RT-AC68U, which is essentially the first iteration of this router only has an 800 Mhz processor.  The 1900P has a 1.4 Ghz processor.  Just for interests sake, the brand new Asus BRT-AC828 business router only has a 1.8 Ghz processor and claims to run an aggregated data rate of 2 Gb/s using dual WAN ports.  I'd really be interested in seeing IPV6 speed test results with the AI Protection enabled.  I doubt that it would run 2 Gb/s, more likely well under 1 Gb/s.   The question that users should be asking these days is, whats required to run gigabit speeds and run security measures such as packet scans, intrusion detection and others.  

You should be able to find the 1900P at Best Buy.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC1900P/overview/

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-asus-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-router-rt-ac1900p-rt-ac1900p...?

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Networking/BRT-AC828/overview/

Fwiw, for gigabit speeds and faster, my opinion at the present time to look for something like a PfSense, OpenSense, Sophos router, which can be built with a much faster processor and then loaded with the any one of those operating systems.  The benefit is that the faster processor will keep up to gigabit speeds and allow you to run packet scans, intrusion detection, etc, keeping your system secure, and in theory, not suffer from speed losses thru the router. Drawback, you need a wifi router or access point to support wifi in the home unless you add wifi capability to the router, which can be done.  To run gigabit speeds with adequate security, you're looking at something like a 2 Ghz processor as a minimum from what I understand.  I think the combination of something like the RT-AC68U/1900P with a PfSense, OpenSense, Sophos router would make a lot of sense for gigabit speeds and beyond.

PfSense just brought out a small micro-router which would probably be okay for 250/20 plans, just speculating.  If you wanted to learn about running something like a PfSense router, this is a fairly cheap investment and it can be used simultaneously with another router as the modem will support two devices for both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses for the foreseeable future.  Not sure when dual IPV4 support will disappear as there is some Rogers product out in the wild that uses/requires two IPV4 addresses.  Apparently there is no limit on the number of IPV6 addresses that can be used. 

https://www.netgate.com//products/sg-1000.html

To run gigabit speeds, you would need something along this idea:

https://www.netgate.com//products/sg-4860.html

Or you could go whole hog and run a router with 10Gb/s ports.  Expensive, but, that would probably be the last router that you ever buy.  

https://www.netgate.com//products/xg-2758-1u.html

I suspect that a person could build a 10Gb/s capable router for less money. 

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

I did get the refurbished one from Ebay,,,, funny you should ask because when I made the purchase, I went back to click on the advertisement and they had changed it to the AC68U so I was kinda wondering what was being shipped to me. So I made a bunch of emails and was assured it would be the 1900 P ,,, and it was. I dont believe the "P" is for refurbished

is anyone here getting better results with the new firmware? were averaging 120 D/l and 30up, and signal drops and reboots on wifi or ethernet.   We have zero problems before we upgrded from the black modem. 

Hey guys...new to the form.

I just picked up the new coda-4582 modem and love it.  Have had it for a week tomorrow and it still indicates the .24 firmware is loaded.  Is there a newer firmware released as of yet?  I heard or read that possibly .26 is in trial or released?

I have been experiencing a number of drops on wifi and as well loss of connectivity on wired connections.

Seems to have been a lot more over last few days.

Appreciate any feedback. 

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@fancyb

@fancyb wrote:

Hey guys...new to the form.

I just picked up the new coda-4582 modem and love it.  Have had it for a week tomorrow and it still indicates the .24 firmware is loaded.  Is there a newer firmware released as of yet?  I heard or read that possibly .26 is in trial or released?

I have been experiencing a number of drops on wifi and as well loss of connectivity on wired connections.

Seems to have been a lot more over last few days.

Appreciate any feedback. 

.24 is the latest network wide release. You can sign up for the Beta Program to get the latest Beta firmware, but be aware that beta firmware may have issues.

to sign up for the beta program you need to send a message to @CommunityHelps with the subject: firmware trial. Be sure to give them your account number, modem mac address and serial number. You can log in to the modem for the serial/mac address.

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around

I'm on 2.0.10.26T2 and am getting HORRIBLE WiFi speeds.  When I was able to get speeds of upwards of 500Mbit, I'm lucky to see 80-100Mbit right now.  Any way of going back to an older version because this is unacceptable.  Thanks!

@bla2342342342

@bla2342342342 wrote:

I'm on 2.0.10.26T2 and am getting HORRIBLE WiFi speeds.  When I was able to get speeds of upwards of 500Mbit, I'm lucky to see 80-100Mbit right now.  Any way of going back to an older version because this is unacceptable.  Thanks!

You can go back to the network wide release firmware by doing a factory reset of the modem. Use a pen tip or similar object to push and hold the reset button on the back of the modem for 10 seconds, then release. The modem will reboot and you'll have to set everything back up.