cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet Connection After Bridging Hitron CODA 4582 Modem

bencox
I've been here awhile

When I put the modem in bridge mode there is no internet connection and I can no longer connect to the modem.  I have the EERO wifi extenders.

*** Edited Labels ***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: No Internet Connection After Bridging Hitron CODA 4582 Modem

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you kick the modem into Bridge mode, after the modem reboot does the:

1.  downstream LED at the front of the modem show light blue (its supposed to be magenta) indicating that DOCSIS 3.1 downstream is in operation.

2.  The upstream LED show a darker blue indicating that DOCSIS 3.0 upstream is in operation.

3.  The @ sign show a constant yellow

4.  The computer symbol just below the @ sign show a flashing yellow

If you look at the back of the modem, does the connected port LED show a flashing amber colour, denoting a 1 Gb/s connection with the connected device ethernet port?  A flashing green LED indicates a 10/100 Mb/s connection rate.

bencox
I've been here awhile

I am not sure exactly what LEDs were on or their colour.  I do remember that none of them were flashing.  The modem does not function once in bridge mode and I had to call Rogers to get it working but not in bridge mode.  If there is a way to get it functioning once I put it into bridge mode I will try again to see what the LEDs are showing.

Are you using stock Eero you bought yourself?   or the ones provided by rogers?

By default in the setup by rogers with their provided ones, the modem is acting in full router mode, and the Eero are just acting as access points.
So in this setup, if you flip over the rogers modem to bridged, its turning off all its router capabilities.  And the Eero would not be doing this stuff either.  So yes, you would have 'wifi' connection through the Eero, but no internet, etc as none of that is actually working, nothing is set to be the router part.

bencox
I've been here awhile

Rogers supplied the EERO and I was told by Rogers that I had to set it up that way.  I do have an issue - some web sites respond very slowly and I checked on EERO tech support site and the issue is that the modem needs to be in bridge mode.  Is there another modem either from Rogers or third party that would work in bridge mode properly?

The 4582 works very well in Bridge mode.  I've had my 4582 in Bridge mode forever, (3 & 1/2 years) without any problem.  

First thing I would do is return the 4582 to Gateway mode which is its default mode.  Disconnect and power down the Eero system and get the 4582 running as expected.  When thats done, then bring the eero online.  I don't use the eero, so, can't explain how it works or how to configure it.  If my assumption is correct, there should be matching modes between the modem and the eero system, so, for the:

1.  modem in Gateway mode, the eero system (base station) should probably be in Bridge mode;

2.  modem in Bridge mode, the eero system (base station) should probably be in Gateway (router) mode. 

That is what typically happens for a modem / router combo.  

If you need assistance to do this, contact @RogersTony or call tech support, who should be able to make any changes to the configuration as required.  

As I indicated above, I would get the 4582 running in Gateway mode first.  Connect to it via ethernet so that you sidestep any wifi issues that might be afoot.  That should allow you to determine if you have a cable signal issue.  You shouldn't see slow performance issues unless you have an ethernet cable issue or a device issue.  Just to check this out can you log into your modem and:

1.  Determine what Software (firmware) version is currently loaded as indicated on the STATUS page which is automatically displayed when you log into the modem.  It will either be 2.0.10.36T6 or 7.1.1.32.   If you have 7.1.1.32 loaded, that is a new version.  I'd recommend a modem reboot (ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot) if you don't know when that version was loaded.  In a worst case scenario, I'd recommend a factory reset.  Although a modem reboot is scheduled during the firmware upgrade, I've always found that an additional reboot is necessary to see the full performance out of a Hitron modem after a firmware upgrade.  In a worst case scenario, I'd run a factory reset.  

If you find that you can't access the modem using 192.168.0.1 if its in Gateway mode, or using 192.168.100.1 if its in Bridge mode, thats a sign that version 7.1.1.32 is loaded.  There is an issue with the loss of access to the modem after a period of time.  That issue should be resolved in the next firmware version.  To gain access to the modem, restart the modem.  Pull the power, wait for about 15 seconds and plug it back in.  That should restore access to the modem.  

In restarting/rebooting the modem, that will temporarily alleviate any signal issues that exist.  It won't solve any underlying problems, but will provide a period of temporary relief.  

2.  The next step is to navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab and copy the entire Downstream Overview table, down to the very bottom OFDM/OFDMA section.  Select or highlight that entire table area, right click .... Copy.  In a new post, right click .... Paste.  That should paste in the table so that it appears as it does in the modem's user interface.  

Next thing I would do is review the wifi settings and make changes if required:

2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n 
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 20 Mhz. In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  It will default to 20 Mhz in a crowded environment.
Wireless channel: Set this to channels 1, 6 or 11
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel: 149 to 165     Use this higher channel range as it runs higher transmit power levels.
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

If you had to change any parameters, reboot your router after the changes have been saved (ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot). 

Connect to the 5 Ghz wifi network after the reboot to determine if the modem and wifi network are running as expected.  

Fwiw, consider loading Winfi Lite onto a Windows laptop, if you do use a Windows laptop.  That can be download from:  https://www.helge-keck.com/

When that is up and running, select the wrench symbol in the second row on the right hand side.  That will bring up the bottom display area.  Select "Spectrum" from the display choices to see the graphical interpretation of the network data.  That will show the other networks that you are competing with.  The 2.4 Ghz band might be totally crowded, so, there might not be any good choice between channels 1, 6, and 11.  The 5 Ghz should show less competition.  I'd recommend sticking with channels 149 to 161 as a selection due to the higher transmit levels in that group which leads to higher data rates, despite any competition in that channel group.  To see the highest data rate possible from the 5 Ghz wifi, you would need to set the bandwidth to 80 Mhz. 

Please let us informed on your progress and any questions you might have.  If you have problems making changes to the modem or eero, I'd recommend asking tech support to make the changes as directed by you.  

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation