cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Wi-Fi on XB7

amoreira
I plan to stick around

It has been a week since I switched from legacy cable/internet to Ignite.  I used to have the old Hitron modem connected and the wifi in the house was pretty good. I even had good reception outside the house.  With this new gateway XB7, wifi has been terrible.  The modem is located in my office at the front of the house on the corner of the desk.  The wifi signal at the back of the house (kitchen and bedroom) are dismal and no more wifi outside of the house, even right outside the door.  I was sent a pod and it worked for a couple of days (reception at back of house and outside was a bit better, but nothing compared to the Hitron), now it won't re-connect.  I have tried plugging the pod into different places and it just won't go online.  I don't understand why this is happening.  I thought this modem was supposed to be good?  It is also always constantly really hot, is this normal?  It is placed out in the open, not on a shelf or anything, so I would think the circulation of air would not be an issue.  I am now waiting to speak with a tech, however long that will take.   Ugh...this is so frustrating, should never have switched!  Shouldn't fix what ain't broke!

*** Edited Labels ***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Issues with Wi-Fi on XB7

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I have the XB7 and before that had the XB6 and even the White CODA modem. I find the range for the XB7 about the same as the other 2. What I would suggest is the following:

- Try to place the XB7 towards the middle of the house so that the signal can be better displaced. If that is not possible, you can leave the XB7 at the current location.

- The pods should be put at the mid point between where the modem is and the furthest end of the home. This way the pods can help distribute the signal to other parts of the home. I would suggest you get a couple of pods: 1 in the mid point of the house on the lower level and one on the upper level again near the mid point of the house.  If you have a staircase that goes towards the upper level, connect the pod to an outlet near there so that the wifi signal can cover the top and bottom levels properly.

- Once you connect and configure the pods, DON'T MOVE THEM for at least 5 days. This will give the system time to detect where the devices are and try to balance the signal around. If you keep moving the pods, you are working against the system and will cause more problems.

I followed the above steps recently for my WiFi and the pods made a big difference in performance and my home is about 2500 Sq. Feet.

amoreira
I plan to stick around

after I received the XB7 and Rogers checked my internet reception, they told me one pod would be enough.  The pod worked for 48 hours then went offline.  I spent most of yesterday trying to reconnect and this morning, no success.  Spoke with Rogers tech and they walked me through the reconnection, again no success.  I also mentioned the hot modem.  The phone tech suspected that perhaps the modem is defective, especially if the pod will not connect after several attempts in several places throughout the house.  A tech is coming out today to check on this.  I don't have much faith.  What are the chances that a brand new modem would be defective?  I find the modem quite warm, especially on top, but I don't know if it is supposed to be warm. I found this odd since the first day, but what do I know?!  What I do know is my old Hitron modem (with Asus AC 1900 router) worked really well.  I have tried this modem with the same router and wifi at the back of the house, same floor (modem at front of house, exact same spot where Hitron was located) is almost non-existent.  Used to have wifi in backyard, zippo now, cannot even connect or sometimes find the Wifi.  The pod worked for 2 days and did help a bit with the wifi at the back of the house and in backyard, but stopped working.  This is really frustrating.  If this can't be fixed, I will either request to go back to old modem, which means digital cable or switch providers altogether, probably another pain in the rear.  I have no idea if Bell or any of the other companies will be any better (I'm in Toronto btw!) Truly frustrating and stressful, as I am not the only one using internet!

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

Sometimes devices can be defective even if it is new. I don't see my XB7 very warm and it seems to work fine. I never had the need to use a stand alone router in my home if the modem is working correctly, and you have the pods setup correctly.

Keep in mind that these XB7 modems are using Wi-Fi 6 modulation which means faster performance but less range. This is common on ALL Wi-Fi 6 modems and why people go with the mesh network so that they can get the speed/range they need.  This is not a Rogers issue as I know friends who have Bell and they also have the same issues.  

The older Wi-Fi modems like your Asus and my R7000 Netgear Nighthawk I used offered great signal strength, but the max speed was much slower than the newer generation of devices.  

You might need to look at replacing the Asus router with a Mesh system. Here are some links to the top rated units:

CNET: https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/best-mesh-wi-fi-router/

PC Mag: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

amoreira
I plan to stick around

I had been looking into the Asus Aimesh Wifi system in order to keep using the router I already have and buying a new Asus to run the Aimesh.  I just don't want to invest all this money and have nothing work for the better.  I will continue to look into this.  I may have more to say once the tech comes over and looks into my issue.  At that point, I will decide whether or not to go the Aimesh or Mesh way.  More to come later today.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
The newer Wi-Fi mesh systems I believe work on their own and don't need an Asus router as they handle the routing. You just need to put the Rogers device into Bridge mode so that it just functions as a modem.

I would start with the following which you are already appear to be doing:

- Get a tech visit and replace the XB7

- Decide on the best location to connect the pods and then connecting them using the Ignite phone app (which you have done before)

- Double check you have the Gen 2 pods. These are white in colour with 2 ethernet ports on the bottom of it and are bigger than the older versions.

- Don't use the Asus router that you have and just use the Rogers modem and Pods as a start. I am pretty sure that once things are setup correctly that your signal should be fine.

MTJ-tak88
I've been here awhile
Resetting modem doesn’t work…is there a way to troubleshoot the WIFI ANTENNAS or settings?
2 Rogers technicians have both confirmed that the WIFI signal in my 2nd Gen Rogers IGNITE router is not working as fast as the WIFI signal on my old Rogers (pre-IGNITE) CODA 1Gig white modem :o(
**Old modem gave me between 600-800 Mb download WIFI speed connected to Rogers test server sitting 2 feet in front of modem
**New Ignite 2nd Gen XB7 modem only gives me 100-250Mb WIFI connected to Rogers test server…HOWEVER I get 600-800 Mb if I connect to a NON-Rogers test server

ROGERS / Anyone: Please help !?!?!

Thank you.

MTJ-tak88
I've been here awhile
Thanks Robert…we tested all and last Rogers tech identified issue appears to be the WIFI hardware in the NEW Ignite modems (he tested both my existing and new 2nd Gen modem, and his TESTING 1st Gen modem)…when a different tech tested in same location with CODA modem, Rogers Speedtest server WIFI test results were finally in the 600-800 Mb range …all tests were standing in front of the Rogers modems located in same spot…Tech said the XB7 modem firmware is current…

I welcome any other solution ideas please?

Wondering if solution/fix has something to do with XB7 WIFI setting or need of firmware fix???
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation