cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Service Interruption

AnnoyedUser
I've been here awhile

I set up my Rogers internet on July 7th and have not had stable connection since installation - internet would keep dropping and come back up. I've already called tech support multiple times and have had 3 visits from Rogers technicians (first one bypassed an old splitter, second tech said there was an issue in the Rogers equipment box outside he referred to maintenance - but not sure if any actually came by, and third tech changed our modem).

When I called each time, tech support said signal is fine, but finally yesterday they admitted to seeing interruption while my internet was down. (2x in a 30 minute call). However when I pressed for more information over the phone they said on their end they only see "Tech Insight Inactive".

On my end, I managed to screen cap the event log from my modem and it just repeats through Ranging Request Retries Exhausted, Unicast Maintenance Ranging Attempted - Retries Exhausted, and No Ranging Response Received - T3 timeout until it goes up back up again.

I'm wondering if anyone here has dealt with similar issues and how it was eventually resolved.

***EDITED LABELS***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Internet Service Interruption

RogersCorey

Hello @AnnoyedUser!

In a case where we literally see the Internet drop while we're on a call diagnosing the issue, our typical solution is to escalate a ticket for further investigation or send a technician if the issue looks to be isolated to your home.

If neither of these things were done for you during this call, I would like to take a second look for you.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

AnnoyedUser
I've been here awhile
I did have a tech come out again today and they replaced an old water damaged connector. I haven't noticed a drop since so I hope this issue is fixed for good. However I did not appreciate having to call everyday and needing 4 tech visits when this should have been checked on the first visit. It really feels like people just do the bare minimum rather than a thorough check in the first place to eliminate all possible issues.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Times have changed, back in the day if you wanted to work for Rogers as a Field Technician, you would have a Passion for your job and learn the ins and outs and remember to check everything thoroughly and have a good flow and rhythm doing your job.

Today's generation these jobs are just another job and people apply for them with no technical experience and no desire to learn and no passion for it and just waiting for the clock to tick by till the end of their shift.

Unfortunately, this also applies to other companies in the Tech and Communications sector and is not limited to that of Rogers Communications

AnnoyedUser
I've been here awhile
An update to this. I thought the issue was fixed after the 4th tech came and changed the rusty connector, but that turned out to be not the case.

A week after the 4th tech came, I started experiencing intermittent drops again. The 5th tech came and replaced our modem again (and also tried to threaten me that if I keep calling Rogers they will start charging me? Even though he's just a contractor). Of course that did not fix the issue. The 6th tech came and replaced a section of the cable inside the house (because his diagnostic tool found something wrong within a few feet of the wire allegedly). The 7th tech came and realized my wires were not grounded (he thinks it's likely because the very first tech bypassed an old splitter but forgot to ground it). The 8th tech came today and told me the wire from the tap to the house has a slight damage and now I have temp wiring into the house. We will see how this goes.

I have to say I am very, very appalled by this, and Rogers has MAJOR problems with their techs and their diagnostics tools.

Things I have issues with:

1) some reps try to get me to upgrade my service. Why would I pay more for the same unstable internet? Why would anyone think this is an appropriate thing to ask when Rogers is not able to resolve my issues?

2) repeating the same info to a different customer agent every time. Some agents are very hard to talk to and almost make it seem like I'm making things up. Some ask me very basic questions which I've already answered many many times - of course it's not their fault because they don't have the history, but at this point the more efficient way would be to assign a dedicated person to my case. It is also very tough to try to escalate to a manager, almost as if they have a metric for number of escalations for their performance review.

3) the escalation team member I spoke to was rude and condescending. All he says I can't do anything because I don't know what's wrong. He didn't seem to quite believe me when I say I have problems. He set up 7 day monitoring but it did not catch any of the intermittent drops I had over the 7 days (because I have resorted to calling tech support whenever my internet drops now). I have lots of notes from various tech callas and I think if he's already on the escalation team he should be able to offer at least some possible issues and solutions. He also has not followed up with me or updated me with anything.

4) I've been asking since July for full inspection of the cables but the techs before today all say I tested the wires and it's fine. There was no physical inspection and they refused to do one when I asked because their testing came back fine (but it was not fine).

The interactions lead me to conclude that A) Rogers' diagnostics and monitoring tools are inadequate and cannot catch or track problems, which makes it hard for techs to trouble shoot, and B) the techs are either very poorly trained or are lazy and just do the bare minimum (and I don't know how they can be so confident each time and tell me the problem is fixed). Unfortunately Rogers is my only choice for high speed internet over 100 MBs down, but I am seriously considering switching to something with a lower speed but is more stable if this continues to not be fixed.

Hello @AnnoyedUser!

I am sorry to hear that these issues are still ongoing.

I would invite you to work with us here on the forums where we always have access to the conversation history so that you aren't starting over with a new agent every time. 

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

AnnoyedUser
I've been here awhile

Actually @RogersCorey , I'm not sure why but most of the time when I try to log on, it just redirects me back to the previous page instead of actually logging me in. So it's not really convenient to work through PM if I can't log on to check or reply to messages. 🙃  I also don't think it's right that this is the only way if I don't want to restart with a new agent each time. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AnnoyedUser wrote:

...most of the time when I try to log on, it just redirects me back to the previous page

Here's a link to tips for Rogers (and other) websites.  Usually using Incognito or Private Mode, depending on the browser will bypass any cookie or cache issues, but clearing cookies and cache also often helps:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/Tips-for-Rogers-Websites-amp-Apps/td-p/49...

That sounds like my situation. Except I'm still at the 4th Tech visit. I am going to call today and ask to be switched back to Coaxial connection. I had no issues when I was on the regular coaxial connection. Since switching to this fibre connection, I keep losing connection to wifi/TV ... everything for a minute and then it connects again. Fun when you are in the middle of a meeting through zoom!!! 

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation