cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Internet - Google devices connection issues

thatguy34324234
I've been here awhile

Hi everyone,
I've spent a good chunk of time on the phone with Rogers support attpting to resolve this, but haven't found a fix yet. Hoping someone here might be able to help...

I recently upgraded to the Rogers gigabit internet from 150 and immediately started having issues with my google devices.

I have 2 Google homes and 2 chromecasts.

After we upgraded, the devices were having issues connecting to the network. Sometimes the devices would be found, other times they would not. When the devices were found, it would take a long time for it to respond/begin streaming.

I factory reset all the Google products, now they won't connect at all. I've tried rebooting the router, renaming the wifi network, and gone through the settings on the router. Nothing seems to work..

I had another google home that was still in the box and I did not have a problem connecting with that one.
I also tried using my phone as a hotspot, and one of the old google homes connected to that fine.

Anyone know why my old google products that were working fine, don't like the new network?

*Added Labels*

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ignite TV Internet - Google devices connection issues

Avinash90
I plan to stick around
Hi Rogers,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my problem.
I found a solution to the problem. I performed a factory reset on my Google Nest Mini and it fixed the problem immediately. There was also a firmware update for my Globe Suite smart plugs that also fix the problem. Now all my smart devices work flawlessly. I also turn band steering back on and the devices work perfectly.
Rogers internet is by far the fastest internet I have ever had. Much faster than any internet that Bell has to offer in my area. The speeds that are provided by Rogers are much faster than the speeds that are advertised even during peak hours.

Kind regards,

Avinash Persaud

Avinash90
I plan to stick around
Hi Dire,

If you previously setup your Chromecasts with a previous router or modem try factory resettingng them. I did that and now my devices are working perfectly.

Regards,

Avinash

Avinash90
I plan to stick around
Hi Duck,

Try factory resetting the devices. I did this when I switched from the white Hitron modem to the Technicolor Ignite modem. My devices connected immediately after a factory reset.

Best regards,

Avinash

Marinacacic
I plan to stick around
I’ve been having the same issues I made a call to the tech department they detected a problem and said someone would contact me in 24 hours still haven’t heard anything it’s been four days.
My ignite is patchy intermittent unreliable.

Avinash90
I plan to stick around
Hello Marinacacic,

Try performing a factory reset on your devices if you previously set then up with another router/modem. Even if you didn't try factory resetting the devices. It worked for me. You can also try updating the firmware on the devices.

Kind regards,

Avinash

AH15
I've been here awhile

I’m also having the same connectivity problems between Rogers Ignite and our Google WIFI extenders which worked fine with the previous version Rogers modem until the Ignite connection a week ago. The Ignite hub also is affecting and prevented connection with our other connected smart devices such as Samsung TV and it appears it will simply not connect to the Samsung TV. Very disappointing. 4 hours on hold with Rogers over two separate calls amidst other problems encountered. I’m not seeing the speed improvement so far which tests our promised “1 GB download service” as actually 220 MB according to fast.com. (Literally as I type this..) 

Nothing easy and the set up of it has disrupted our existing services and uses.  The “troubleshooting” tip of moving the modem is priceless. Yes, let’s design the asthetic of our house around a randomly placed modem and Rogers electronics should dictate where our TV, home office etc should be located - not for example other preferences we might have - such as efficient use of space, adequacy of privacy, or access to outside windows. Also I could swear the Rogers Ignite modem wants to place itself somewhere obscure such as not where the old Rogers modem was located. Counter intuitive? Funny how none of this was raised by the Rogers agent, until after, when a more candid Rogers agent casually mentioned that Rogers ignite routinely disrupted other services (eg. such as our existing Rogers home phone which was literally cut off for a week). It was finally reinstated today. 

The penultimate Rogers agent seemed incredulous that we had problems and suggested it was because we were moving. Really?? News to me...

Probably if we were moving I would have known about it... 

Very disappointing. 

Andrew 

PS. If the factory reset works will let you know. 

Avinash90
I plan to stick around
Hi AH15,

I had the exact problem. My devices were configured using the white Hitron Modem and then we got the Technicolor Ignite modem and I kept getting a connection error. Try updating the firmware of the other smart devices as well. In terms of your slow speed test, are you using a wired connection? I cannot achieve anywhere close to the advertised speed over wifi unless it's using 5G and I find a wireless channel that a lot of people aren't using.

Kind regards,

Avinash

Giraffee66
I plan to stick around

I just upgraded from digital TV and internet to Ignite this week.  I'm having a problem with only some of my Google devices connecting to the new WiFi network.  I have:

• Three Google Chromecasts - these are connected to the new network no problem;
  • One Google Nest Hub (First generation) - I was able to connect this to WiFi, but it took a bit of effort.  I felt like I had to force it, but it's working;
  • Two Google Home - cannot get them to connect to the network; and
  • One Google Mini - cannot get it to connect to the network.

Every time I try and set up the remaining 3 devices, it get the "connected" sound from the device, and then I try and get it to connect to the network, and I get an alert box that says "Cannot connect to your network".

Here is what I have tried with the 2 Google Homes and 1 Google Mini that will not connect:

• Unplugged and re-plugged the Google devices (many, many times);
  • Tried entering the network PW manually;
  • Re-booted my Ignite gateway;
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the Google Home app (Android, Pixel 4a); and
  • Tried enabling bluetooth before starting the "add device" process on Google Home.

Clearly the network is working as I have internet, TV and some Google devices connected.  I've tried everything that I can find by doing a Google search on this problem, and no luck.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Giraffee66
I plan to stick around

I had a brainwave (few and far between in the waning days of the pandemic!) and did a factory reset on the 3 devices that were not connecting.  They are now connected.  Sorry to have bothered anyone! 

Hi,

Once I installed WiFi Pods, it looks like the bandsteering options to get Google Nest Mini speakers working went away. So my Nest Minis are no longer connecting. How can I fix this?

I needed the pods installed for wall to wall connectivity, which has now improved. But the Minis wont connect (minis are set up right next to main router, so coverage isnt an issue).

Any ideas on how to fix? Also, I seem to have forgotten my password to the admin (10.0.0.1) - how can I reset?

Hello @Vishaljp,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

You've definitely come to the right place, I would recommend you to try the steps listed in RogersTim's post. Please keep us posted on the outcome :).

For the password reset, please refer to the Accepted Solution in the Unable to Login to Admin Settings on XB6 thread. 

Hope this helps.

RogersZia

GK_NL
I've been around

Thanks RogersTim. The only way I could get my older Google Home Minis to connect was to split the network into 2.4 & 5 and they finally worked when everything was connected to 5

JRC2
I've been around

I have 2 google home speakers that would not hook up kept saying cant communicate tried everything nothing worked i shut off my phones antivirus and vpn and connected no problems turned antivirus and vpn back on stayed connected i am using bitdefender anti virus and vpn not sure if that matters but my speakers are working again i also had to forget wifi networks in google home app

Topic Stats