cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable or turn off Band Steering?

SanjeevB
I've been around

By default, Band Steering is turned on.  How can one turn it off? I have some smart plugs that only work on the 2.4 ghz network. With Band steering turn on, the smart plugs are unable to connect to the 2.4ghz network. Also, the Rogers installer advised me to keep band steering turned on as turning it off could affect TV performance. Is this true?

***Edited Labels***

27 REPLIES 27

Re: How to disable or turn off Band Steering?

I am having the same problem and do NOT have the option of disabling band steering. Not in the app, not on the web, not on the modem admin page. 

AntonioD
I've been here awhile

Thanks to the previous contributors on this topic.  It's disappointing that Rogers doesn't have good educational resources to avoid having customers frustrated with using the XB6 modem specifically (a.k.a. Rogers Ignite service).  

Here's my recent story that I wanted to share so others may hopefully benefit.

Firstly, it is really disappointing that Rogers technical help will give you a different story every time you call.  

Since the start of September when my children started online classrooms, one bedroom upstairs was having connection issues to the XB6 modem.  I called Rogers and they suggested the Pods.  I didn't even know that was an option (for free).  I naturally said yes - not knowing what would ensue.  Firstly, I lost control of the admin managed options on the modem through 10.0.0.1 - fair enough, I accepted it in the hopes this would resolve my issue.  Then I started having connection issues with my iPad 2g with constant dropping of the WiFi signal.  I called recently to complain about it.  Long story short - after persistence - I requested that Rogers split my 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi band and to disable band steering.  Only learned of this term through speaking to several different technicians.  Unfortunately, one will never know to find this forum because this term is not commonly used.  I only found this forum after learning the term and searching for it.  Turns out my suggestion worked!  My iPad is now able to connect through the Pods on the 2.4GHz spectrum, although I don't know if this is the best solution yet.  I may end up getting rid of them if they aren't performing well.  As I reflect on the real issue of my iPad connection issues, I believe it has to do with the 802.11 band steering that was occurring to push the device to the 5GHz spectrum (which on the XB6 is 802.11 ac).   The iPad 2 is only capable of 802.11a/b/g/.  The technician set the 2.4GHz spectrum to g/n and that has worked!  For those interested, here are the 802.11 standards for reference:

Wi-Fi generations 1–6:

1g 802.11b

2g 802.11a

3g 802.11g 

4g 802.11n 

5g 802.11ac

6g 802.11ax

In summary, I now have 2 SSID's - one for 2.4GHz and the other for 5GHz.  I was able to re-connect devices such as my smart plugs and washer/dryer to the 2.4GHz SSID since these devices require the 2.4GHz spectrum.  This whole process was completely frustrating as the other posters have described in this forum.  I am still disappointed in losing control of the modem - I can't even change the password because if I do that, the modem will reset band steering and disable my two SSID's into one again.  I may come back to this post in the future if I am able to request Rogers to give me back access to the modem.

KASL
I've been around

Last night I connect a pod in my house and it connected to the 2.4 network. But now my 5G has disappeared off of all my devices and even on my ignite app.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KASL wrote:

Last night I connect a pod in my house and it connected to the 2.4 network. But now my 5G has disappeared off of all my devices and even on my ignite app.

As far as I know, as soon as you connect an Ignite WiFi Pod, band steering gets enabled automatically (the Pods require it) and there is no way to disable it.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-ensure-bandsteering-is-on-for-the-rogers-igni...

How I Do I Change/Use Different SSID for 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

T0ny
I've been here awhile
The App offers very limited features, tried the website And the ssid is greyed out and am not able to chnage or use a different ssid for my 5Ghz connection please advice.

Re: How I Do I Change/Use Different SSID for 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

Hello, @T0ny

I can understand how having separate networks for 2.4G and 5G wi-fi bands could be useful. If you are using Wi-Fi Pods this is not an option as the pods require only one network name and password to function.

To learn more about band steering and how to enable and disable it on your Ignite Wi-Fi modem please follow the steps outlined here.

Please let the community know if you have any questions or concerns about how to disable or enable band steering.

RogersTony

Jerry7
I've been around

To repeat my earlier post, I did not use Wifi Pods.  I took my old 2.4 GHz wireless router and set it next to the Ignite Gateway. I installed an ethernet cable from the Gateway to the old router input.  The old router has a different SSID name than the Gateway.  Older 2.4 Ghz devices are set up to the older SSID. Newer devices are set up to the Gateway SSID. No Band Steering disabling required and any future reset of the Gateway will not require redoing anything.

Topic Stats