cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home and Chromecast stopped working

AnitaTO
I've been here awhile

Our Rogers internet has been dreadful for the past few weeks, cutting out frequently and very very very slow speeds. Got help from Rogers who got us to restart the Hitron modem and suggested a mesh service to boost the signal in the house (which, given the COVID-19 situation, is now scheduled for June). Alongside, all our Google Home Devices, Chromecast, and Russound stopped working. We're not sure if it's because of the Hitron restart or something else. To try and fix the problem, I:

• deleted the device from the Google Home app on my phone

• reset the device to factory settings

• added 'new device' in the Google Home app on my phone

I went through all the steps until "connecting to wifi" at which point it said "something went wrong - speaker may be set up, but we could not communicate with it from your iPhone. It's possible that your Google Home and iPhone are connected to networks that are unable to talk to one another. This may require a small change to your Wi-Fi settings.

I'd appreciate advice in helping me fix this. Thank you!

***EDITED LABELS***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Google Home and Chromecast stopped working

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AnitaTO wrote:

I went through all the steps until "connecting to wifi" at which point it said "something went wrong - speaker may be set up, but we could not communicate with it from your iPhone. It's possible that your Google Home and iPhone are connected to networks that are unable to talk to one another. This may require a small change to your Wi-Fi settings.

I'd appreciate advice in helping me fix this. Thank you!

This sounds like a Band Steering-related problem.  When you initially set these devices up, did you have separate SSIDs for your 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands?

Can you try changing the network name on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band (add a -5G) or use whatever network names that you had used before, and then try connecting your devices using the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network?

AnitaTO
I've been here awhile

Internet speeds have been dreadful at our house since the covid crisis began. We now think that's why google home was dropping out constantly. Our equipment was already set up as you suggested, as follows:

Rogers Hitron modem with 5GHz and 2.4GHz (named separately), of which

Rogers Hitron modem 2.4GHz > Home Wifi (Apple AirPort x2 connected through ethernet) > Google Home

Rogers is sending out some devices which will create a 'mesh' which should provide more stable wifi in the house, though I'm not sure how that will help with the poor internet speed at source.

Meanwhile, google home devices seem to be working more of the time.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your reply @AnitaTO! We appreciate the update. 😉

We're happy to know tyou are noticing improvements. We truly hope the mesh network resolves all your issues.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you require further assistance. Cheers!

RogersMaude

gcastrobh
I've been around

Im having the same problem. All my Google devices used to work, than I moved homes and brought my Rogerns modem.. Since them... wont work.

Still more than 20 minutes in the screen "connecting to..." and than the same error.

Tried support via chat, no success.

Hey @gcastrobh!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this as well! I've seen this occur when the modem's switch to band steering. Have you followed the steps outlined in -G-'s post "here"?

Let us know what's been done thus far.

@RogersAndy

chank
I plan to stick around

Was this ever resolved?

I switched to Ignite yesterday. I kept the same SSID, password and DHCP address range as in my previous setup, and apart from a port forwading issue I am still working on, I thought all went well, until now. We have four Google Home minis and a Chromecast in the house and I notice that they are no longer listed as devices to cast to. I tried a factory reset on one of the minis as was recommended elsewhere, and I found I wasn't able to connect it back to the network. I kept getting a message about having to disable AP Isolation.

I haven't tried renaming the 5GHz network (disabling band steering?) yet to get it back, but even if that works, I may have to leave the network in that state in order to be able to cast to the devices, which is less than ideal.

My previous setup was a Hitron modem running in bridged mode, and I am tempted to do the same with this new modem. Doing that is also likely to solve my port forwarding issue too.

Why doesn't Rogers (or Comcast) just ship an implementation of OpenWrt with their modems? It would give tech support (and us) a lot more tools to help resolve individual issues.

Roach1
I've been around
Hello I'm having the same issue I literally switched over to ignite today and my Chromecast won't connect to the network. And it's not a band steering issue I tried to connect with 2.4g would not connect same with 5g. Has anyone found a real solution. This is a big problem...

Hello @Roach1,

Welcome to the Rogers Community & thanks for your contribution! Experiencing connecting issues with devices you use every day is cumbersome. 

Have you found a resolution since you originally posted?

If not, we most definitely want to help. Could you tell us if you had any issues connecting other Google/Android devices or this only happens with Chromecast?

Besides disablings band steering, have you gone through any other troubleshooting steps?

Let us know! 

RogersMaude

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation