cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail won't fetch rogers POP emails from port 995 since Feb. 01/17

johnrm
I plan to stick around

Since the security changes to rogers (yahoo) email I can't check my brogers emails through gmail. Prior to the change there was no problem. I've entered the full email address into the user name field in Gmail, same as I did in Outlook. Here's the eror message I get:  "Unable to establish secure SSL connection to pop.broadband.rogers.com"  Anyone else experienceing this??

***Added labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Gmail won't fetch rogers POP emails from port 995 since Feb. 01/17

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@johnrm:

Try changing the incoming server to "pop.mail.yahoo.com", per the following long thread on the topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id...

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Glad you were able to get here as I suggested during our call. Hope the suggestions resolve your issue.

johnrm
I plan to stick around

Thank you very much, that solved the problem!

Cheers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@johnrm:

Thanks for for confirmation of the fix. Sometimes adding "@rogers.com" is enough, sometimes the server change is also necessary.  It seems to depend on the setup/software/etc.

SB28
I plan to stick around

I have two rogers emails.  One works with pop.broadband.rogers.com in gmail, the other doesn't.  I switched the broken one to pop.mail.yahoo.ca and it works.

Anybody understand what's going on?

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@SB28  In response to your question "Anybody understand what's going on?"

I can say personally, I don't have a clue - it all seemed to start with an expired certificate 2 weeks ago, which on its own makes sense, but even though the certificate was validated, there continues to be odd things happening to many people's email configuration with the yahoo or rogers email services.

Just wondering, has anyone following this opened a ticket on it or attempted to get the issue moved up to engineering.

There has been close too 160 posts on this very topic in two threads in two weeks, and their is no consistent solution or respnse at this time.

I glad that people are figuring it out, but I think it is beyond time for Rogers and Yahoo to take this on and get it stable and predictable and put out a new support description on the Rogers help and support pages.

Could a moderator please take on moving this up through the support chain.  I think it is time.

Bruce

johnrm
I plan to stick around

Go into "Accounts and Import" in Gmail. Under "check mail form other accounts" select "edit info" and enter the full POP email address you are checking in the username box and pop.mail.yahoo.com and port 995 for the server. Worker for me on all my POP accounts in Gmail.

RickOtt
I've been around

Thanks for everyone's help.

It's nuts that Rogers support doesn't know this.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

See also this link re POP and Yahoo - Yahoo is disabling POP March 31st, so anyone on POP will have to go IMAP.

See the two links on my post in the solution.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/438...

Bruce

Gurpop
I've been here awhile

help!  ive tried every solution i can find but i refuse to give up.  just switched from rogers to bell but i want to use GMAIL instead of a provider's email account.  I need to import my emails from ROGERS mail to GMAIL but I keep getting the following error:

There was a problem while connecting to pop.broadband.rogers.com

I also tried using pop.mail.yahoo.com and was unsuccessful

i have tried pop.broadband.com and pop.mail.yahoo.com and neither will work. I get:

There was a problem while connecting to pop.broadband.rogers.com

or,

Gmail couldn't identify your POP server.

HELP

Greetings and welcome to our Community @Gurpop!

Please keep in mind that while we provide POP set-up instructions, we recommend that you set up email using IMAP as it’s designed for use with web-based email and multiple computers/devices simultaneously.

Another potential issue here might be that you need to set up an app password: https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/rogers/account/generate-third-party-passwords-sln15241.html

I would suggest switching to IMAP. If you're still experiencing issues after that, post again here to let the Community know what error you're getting.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 in conversation