cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Ignite Internet work with Windows XP?

adm7007
I plan to stick around

Does ignite internet work with Windows XP?

It is currently connected to Rogers cable internet.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does Ignite Internet work with Windows XP?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adm7007 wrote:

How do you get it to work?

I see nothing in network connections related to wireless connection.

Sorry, you didn't provide any context or technical information in your initial post.  If you are running on hardware that is more than 15 years old, your computer's wireless network adapter, if it has one, probably will not be able to connect to modern Wi-Fi networks.  However, you should have no problems connecting using wired Ethernet.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is nothing about Ignite Internet that restricts which operating systems you use.  However, Windows XP is now VERY old and very dangerous to use from a security perspective.  XP is no longer being supported by Microsoft, no longer receives any security updates, and all the major web browsers have also dropped support for Windows XP.  There's no telling what problems and risks you will face browsing the Internet, and some sites may even prevent you from connecting to their service with an old web browser.  Even users running (the much newer) Windows 7 face similar problems and risks.

Even if Windows XP works fine for you, I would still strongly, STRONGLY recommend upgrading your PC!

adm7007
I plan to stick around

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adm7007 wrote:

Sorry, you didn't provide any context or technical information in your initial post.  If you are running on hardware that is more than 15 years old, your computer's wireless network adapter, if it has one, probably will not be able to connect to modern Wi-Fi networks.  However, you should have no problems connecting using wired Ethernet.

adm7007
I plan to stick around

Is Rogers going to eliminate cable internet and cable TV soon?

If that happens then this XP computer can't connect to the internet,correct?

I'll have to research if wifi will work or not with this system.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers is phasing out legacy Digital Cable for IgniteTV (IPTV), however, the Internet should still be accessible by any compatible computer, either via WiFi or via Ethernet connection directly to the "Gateway" (Modem).  When you switch to Ignite, you may be getting a different "modem" called a "Gateway", model XB6 or XB7 or XB8.  The unconfirmed rumour is that everyone outside of MDUs (apartment type buildings) will be migrated to IgniteTV by the end of 2023.

Do you have Cable TV as well as Internet, or only Internet?

adm7007
I plan to stick around

I have Rogers cable TV and cable internet and live in a 5 unit apartment building.

I have an ongoing 2 year TV pixelation picture problem with certain channels that Rogers fixes but the problem keeps coming back after several weeks or over a month or two.

So I'm considering ignite TV as we are fed up with the pixelation issue.

The pixelation issue doesn't affect the internet.

If the Gateway modem for ignite TV has a ethernet connection that would solve the wifi issue until I upgrade the pc eventually.

The TV is about 30-40 feet from the PC.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

If you keep having digital cable tv problems that Rogers needs to keep fixing, don't assume that switching to IgniteTv will make things better +not to mention all the things you will lose, that you might miss, depending on your personal preferences.

You might also find that switching to Ignite internet will give you spotty service (even using ethernet connection). Are you okay with having it cut out for a few minutes every day, and then wondering if the new modem is faulty, or is it your connection (inside, or outsude the building)?

Unless you get a letter in the mail, etc., from Rogers telling you that you have 2 months to switch to Ignite, you can assume that you still have at least 4 months left with your legacy service. Your legacy Internet should be killed by December sometime (early or late), but your legacy tv service might keep working into 2024. No guarantees, but for somebody still holding on to windows XP, I assume you don't want to also risk having problems with the Ignite internet switchover, that are not related to windows XP, but simply due to unknown issues that could take days, weeks, or even months to isolate.

Hang on to legacy for as long as you can, until at least your legacy Internet is killed off.

The tv problems you have now, might pale in comparison to what's to come.

Sure, your Ignite switchover could be perfect, but if a solid Internet connection is important to you, stick with the enemy you already know, rather than gamble before you need to.

adm7007
I plan to stick around

This is starting to sound like a big headache/nightmare.

Pay all this money for poor performance/service.

I figured Ignite would have it's issues like anything electronic but didn't think it could possibly be worse than what I have now.

Are there any better alternatives out there than Ignite once the legacy internet is gone?

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

See if somebody in your building already has Ignite, and ask them what they think about it.

I love my 4k legacy Rogers PVR (I only have a 1080p tv, so no 4k for me), but since you already have Rogers, it's probably best to first try Ignite, to see how much you love it or hate it. There's a 30-day money back guarantee, but they make you mail the equipment back, so it often goes missing in the warehouse for a while, so you might get charged for it, until they find it.

I don't consider Internet television to be real television because it often turns itself off after about 5 hours of inactivity (even for systems without a tv box).

If Ignite internet is currently problematic in your area, you could try another Internet company until Rogers has more areas working smoothly.

It could be that even with all its flaws, IgniteTV could be the best of the worst, depending on your personal needs. Many people switching to Bell, hate the On Demand system, and despise the Android box Bell uses for its IPTV service ... But as time passes, each company often improves enough to keep things somewhat bearable.

If you don't already use a PVR, you might love the cloud recording capability of IgniteTV (assuming you use the voice commands) to more precisely FF or Rewind content. However if you already use a good PVR (or download/stream from the Internet), the cloud recording inconsistencies might frustrate you instead.

If your area is consistently solid for Ignite service, the pros might slightly outnumber the cons.

Our personal tastes and experiences can vary greatly, so although I prefer US online services (without the need of a box), I no longer feel the need to pay for anything but Rogers legacy, and limited data phone plans for Tv content (free-wifi for the majority of it).

However, if you don't have wifi access (with the Ignite app),, setting up some of the Ignite features might be less intuitive, even though it's been mentioned that a IP web address can still apparently be used for most things.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Just a side note regarding the switch to ignite......once you switch even for a 30 day guarantee there is not going back to legacy digital cable.

Others will tell you this as well.

I have had ignite tv for 3 years now and love it. Yes I had some glitches initially but all have been worked out. I only have 150m download and consistently get 200m down day or night. I work from home online and can count on one hand the outages I have had at this house for 16 years.

adm7007
I plan to stick around

Having never used wifi I pretty much know nothing about it.

Does the modem used for Ignite still connect to the coaxial cable that's connected to the Nextbox I have?

If it is are they eliminating legacy internet and TV by using a different signal through the coax cable?

@adm7007 how do you connect the Windows XP pc now, thru wifi?  

Rogers, Bell and probably every other ISP are moving away from single use boxes, that is, modem, telephone modem, and cable connected tv set top box. They are all replaced with a single modem that does everything, internet, telephone and tv support via wifi and/or ethernet.  At the same time, the tv set top boxes are being replaced with a very small unit that connects to the modem via wifi or ethernet.  Those tv set top boxes for the most part do not have internal storage anymore, relying on "cloud storage", which is nothing but large servers owned or leased by the ISP to store customer data such as recorded shows.  The set top box itself typically has a power connector, ethernet connector and HDMI connector to connect to the tv.  So, any tv that you plan to connect to the set top box requires an HDMI connector.  You can get HDMI to cable converters in case your tv doesn't have HDMI ports on it.  

At the end of the day, all of the cable connected boxes are replaced by one modem which is still cable connected, and one or more small set top boxes which are connected via ethernet or wifi.  The following pictures don't do any justice to the small size of the Xi6 or XiOne set top box, but, here's what they look like:

https://www.rogers.com/support/self-install/tv

In terms of wifi itself, wifi is wifi.  That is to say, its a set of standard transmission protocols that have existed since day one.  Over time, there have been improvements in wifi hardware which allowed the transmission waveforms to change, allowing faster data transmission over the same timespan.  That is seen in the change in the wifi standards from the early 802.11 a, b, g, and n to todays 802.11 ac (Wifi 5) and 802.11 ax (Wifi 6).  Each step, from the early 802.11a up to todays 802.11ax has been permitted by faster signal processing within the hardware for both modem and laptop or pc.  Each step has brought with it a change in the signal waveform, permitted by the advances in the hardware, and an accompanying increase in data rates supported by those newer waveforms. 

Wireless Standards Explained: 802.11ax, 802.11ac, 802.11b/g/n (lifewire.com)

Scroll down to the 802.11b section, read that section and then scroll up, reading thru one section at a time to get a perspective of how 802.11 developed over time.  

Although the 802.11 xx standards have advanced, typically the modems and routers have been backwards compatible with the older standards, but, that's not guaranteed.  We're at the point now where it might not be possible to run 802.11 a, b, or g, on some modems and routers, so, anything of that era, like a Windows XP laptop or pc might find itself being unable to connect to newer modem or router.    It should be, or would be typical to see wifi settings that allow those older standards to be user selected, but, there is no guarantee at this point.  

As for your current problems, you can use the modem as a tool to check the signal levels.  Log into the modem and navigate to the DOCSIS WAN tab.  Park your curser at the front of the "Downstream Overview" line.  Hold the shift key down and scroll down and to the right until the curser is sitting just after the last character in the bottom right hand corner of the last table on the page.  Release the shift key and with the data still selected, use Ctrl c to copy the data.  In a new post, use Ctrl v to paste the data into the post.  You should end up with the same data tables that are present in the modem.  That's a starting point to check out the signal levels to see if there's anything evidently wrong with them.  

adm7007
I plan to stick around

The XP pc is connected to a Hitron CGN3ACSMR cable modem.

The TV is connected to a Nextbox 9865 HD cable box.

Is the Ignite wifi 802.11AC?

I called Rogers today about the TV pixelation issue and the rep said everything was ok with no outages or signal problem,(I have my doubts).Said it was probably the Nextbox.

They will not send a tech to check things out because there are no Nextboxes available.

They will only send a tech with an Ignite box.LOL.

The last tech that came on Feb,28,2023 swapped out the Nextbox with another one in his truck and used some type of scan tool and said there was a "noise" problem with the signal and put in a call to maintenance who fixed the problem roughly a week later.

The Nextbox he put in still had the pixelation issue after he installed it so the problem was further down the line.

Is it true there are zero Nextboxes available now?

I think this box is ok and the previous one was ok.

They won't even come to check the problem without shoving Ignite down my throat.

Basically take it or leave it.What a joke.

I mentioned I had XP and wasn't sure if it would work with Ignite and she said she has XP and it works fine with Ignite.

Is there any other way to get a tech to come or contact maintenance directly?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adm7007 wrote:

The XP pc is connected to a Hitron CGN3ACSMR cable modem.

The TV is connected to a Nextbox 9865 HD cable box.

Is the Ignite wifi 802.11AC?

I presume that you have your computer connected to the Hitron cable modem using an Ethernet cable.  You would use the same cable to connect to the Ignite cable modem/gateway as well.

With Ignite TV, the Ignite set-top box would connect wirelessly to the Ignite Gateway.

The Ignite gateways support either 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) or 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6).

I also have an important question: How old is your TV set and what kind of cable do you use to connect your Nextbox 9865?  The Ignite set-top boxes require HDMI connectivity.  If your television only has RCA connectors, that's a problem.

Also, do you have a smart phone or tablet?  If you cannot install the Ignite HomeConnect app (formerly called the Ignite WiFi Hub app) it's not necessarily the end of the world, but you won't be able to install or configure any functions on your Ignite Gateway using any of the instructions that Rogers publishes; they assume that customers are using either the Android or iOS mobile app.

I called Rogers today about the TV pixelation issue and the rep said everything was ok with no outages or signal problem,(I have my doubts).Said it was probably the Nextbox.

They will not send a tech to check things out because there are no Nextboxes available.

They will only send a tech with an Ignite box.LOL.

The last tech that came on Feb,28,2023 swapped out the Nextbox with another one in his truck and used some type of scan tool and said there was a "noise" problem with the signal and put in a call to maintenance who fixed the problem roughly a week later.

The Nextbox he put in still had the pixelation issue after he installed it so the problem was further down the line.

Is it true there are zero Nextboxes available now?

I think this box is ok and the previous one was ok.

They won't even come to check the problem without shoving Ignite down my throat.

Basically take it or leave it.What a joke.

I really don't know what could be causing the problem with your TV service.  Does it affect all channels or just a few?

I don't know what the status of Digital TV is.  Rogers is not buying any new set-top boxes so all they have left in stock is whatever they can refurbish.  The back-end infrastructure has also reached end-of-life and their ability to fix problems is severely limited.  It's also costing Rogers a ton a money to keep that old equipment powered up and in service, all to support a customer base that keeps getting smaller and smaller each and every day.

You might want to send a private message to @CommunityHelps  and ask them to run some tests, against your TV set-top boxes AND to confirm that your cable modem connection is healthy.

Many years ago, I was a Digital TV customer and had ongoing problems with my service that Rogers was unable to resolve.  (Probably much, MUCH worse than what you are currently experiencing.)  I ended up leaving Rogers because they did not have an IPTV service that I could upgrade to.  I have been an Ignite TV customer for more than 4 years now and the service works very well.

I mentioned I had XP and wasn't sure if it would work with Ignite and she said she has XP and it works fine with Ignite.

Is there any other way to get a tech to come or contact maintenance directly?

Rogers tech support will dispatch a field tech when tests show signal levels or error rates are not within acceptable norms.  You may also have better luck getting "area issues" fixed if it affects your Internet service.  I don't know what they would do if there is a chronic, unfixable problem with Digital TV in your area.

Maintenance techs are not customer-facing.  They get engaged when a field tech confirms that a problem exists and is caused by some issue outside of the home that the field tech cannot resolve on their own.

If I may ask, how severe are the problems with your TV service?  Is it an occasional glitch on a few channels or is the service totally unwatchable?

adm7007
I plan to stick around

PC is connected to modem with a ethernet cable.

TV is a Samsung 55" 6 series 4K UHD,mfg,2016,connected to Nextbox with a HDMI cable.

No smart phone or tablet.

Channels 1,3,8,20,57,62 are the usual ones that become pixelated after being "fixed".

Problem has been happening for about 2+ years.Might get a few months or a little more without pixelation before it returns again.

Those pixelated channels are unwatchable and the problem doesn't clear up on it's own.The other channels are fine.

None of the several techs that came could fix it and passed it on to maintenance who manages to fix it temporarily.

I remember the good old days when Rogers cable TV issues were a rarity here.

Those days appear to be over.

The equipment these days is too complicated and failure prone.

With Ignite is only one gateway modem used for both TV and PC or does TV and PC each have their own seperate modem?

I started another thread in the TV section but only recieved one reply so far.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adm7007 wrote:

PC is connected to modem with a ethernet cable.

TV is a Samsung 55" 6 series 4K UHD,mfg,2016,connected to Nextbox with a HDMI cable.

That's fine.

No smart phone or tablet.

That's not a showstopper.  You can still perform the basic configuration of your Ignite gateway using a web browser but there are some configuration actions that can only be performed using the iOS or Android mobile app.

Channels 1,3,8,20,57,62 are the usual ones that become pixelated after being "fixed".

Problem has been happening for about 2+ years.Might get a few months or a little more without pixelation before it returns again.

Those pixelated channels are unwatchable and the problem doesn't clear up on it's own.The other channels are fine.

None of the several techs that came could fix it and passed it on to maintenance who manages to fix it temporarily.

I remember the good old days when Rogers cable TV issues were a rarity here.

Those days appear to be over.

The equipment these days is too complicated and failure prone.

That's unfortunate.  Before migrating to Ignite, I would contact the @CommunityHelps  team and ask them to assess the health of your Internet service.  If your Internet service is unstable (problems that may be invisible to you if you just send email or browse the web) you will need to get those fixed before switching to Ignite TV... and in the process, they may also fix the problems that you are seeing with your TV service.

With Ignite is only one gateway modem used for both TV and PC or does TV and PC each have their own seperate modem?

With Ignite TV, the TV channels get streamed over your Internet service, similar to how services like Netflix and Prime Video get delivered.  To install Ignite TV, you first install the new cable modem (the Ignite Gateway), configure a Wi-Fi name and password, and then power up the set-top boxes.  The set-top boxes connect to the Ignite Gateway over Wi-Fi and the TV channels are streamed over your Internet connection.

Ignite TV is a completely different service than Digital TV and is delivered using completely different technology.  If your Internet service is stable and your set-top box has a good, solid Wi-Fi connection, then Ignite TV should work well.

Before switching to Ignite TV, I would also recommend trying it out at a Rogers store, if you can... because once you make the switch, there is no going back to Digital TV.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation